Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next

AxelFendersson's new painting log

Post subject: AxelFendersson's new painting log
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello. Anyone remember me? A while back I was fairly active around here but then other interests dragged me away from painting and from gaming in general and I went a couple of years without painting a thing.

I couldn't stay away forever, though and somehow I've recently been itching to start paint 6mm-scale models again. So I got out my old paints, replaced a few pots that had dried out and got some new brushes. And for the first time in over two years, I sat down and painted some Epic models.

So I thought I ought to head back over to TacComms, see what everyone else is up to and to share what I've been doing.

I don't expect to reach the same levels of productivity that I achieved back in 2009-10; I've got way too much else going on to be painting a whole formation every 2-3 days. One session a week is likely to be the limit. So rather than keeping a separate log for every army I'm just going to keep them all in this one thread.

For reference, my previous painting threads were:
Chaos Space Marines, AMTL, Eldar.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: AxelFendersson's new painting log
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, no point in a painting log without photos. Since learning that Epic was discontinued last year (it goes to show how out-of-touch I'd got that I didn't discover this for almost a whole year) I've been bidding on eBay to get the models I need to finish off my existing armies. I've got a few Warhounds for the AMTL, but mostly I've been filling in the gaps in my Eldar army. I did have a few formations left over that I never got around to painting before, but there are also plenty of models that I don't (or, at least, didn't) have. One of the first items I acquired was a Warlock titan, which then became my first painted Epic formation since 2010.

Here it is:
(Click for larger image.)

This is, I think, the clearest photo of a painted miniature I've ever managed to take (and it was on my phone!), which is quite scary; all the flaws in my paint job that were previously hidden by slightly fuzzy photographs are now clear for all to see.

I'm a little rusty and so this took much longer to finish than the last time I panted a titan. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it, though.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very nice!

I like how the two colors go together!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very Nice !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very pretty! Great color scheme.

Blood Angels
Black Legion
Codex Marines
Imperial Fists

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:36 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Welcome back, great to see you posting again. Neat warlock.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, all.
elsmore wrote:
Your Eldar was one of the armies that inspired me to get back into Epic. :)

Wow. Whenever someone tells me something like that I'm always really proud, flattered and weirdly humbled all at the same time. :D

I have two more photos to post this evening. First are these Wraithlords, which even now I still tend to think of as 'Dreadnoughts':

These were painted in two batches, four this week and five the week before last (making them the first models I'd painted at all since 2011).

I quite like this version of the Wraithlord model. It isn't the most detailed version, but its simplicity makes it easy to paint and unlike most metal versions it isn't pointing its weapon straight down at the ground, which I've always thought looked a bit odd.

Not sure what to do next for this army; possibly some Aspect Warriors. I have formations of Howling Banshees and Warp Spiders in a box awaiting painting. That would then leave me with Shining Spears as the only aspect I don't have in the army. I don't have any models and the only ones I've seen on eBay went for more than I'm willing to pay for them, so I'll probably end up converting some. I have plenty of spare Guardian jetbikes so I might as well. I'm not sure what to use for Power Lances, but I'm sure I'll come up with something. Most SS conversions I've seen (and the official versions) add wings to the jetbikes but the 40k models only have the same small wings that the Guardian jetbikes have so I'm not certain they're essential. The other thing I'm not sure about is the headdresses. Some have them and some don't. I'm not sure whether they're supposed to be just for the Exarch or a common thing among the regular Aspect Warriors as well.

These next models aren't actually new. They were the last thing I painted for my Chaos army back in 2010 before I ground to a halt but for some reason I never took a picture at the time. So here are my Screamers of Tzeentch (which I'll count as Daemonic Beasts in the list):

Under the old version of the list, these would have brought the army to over 10,000 points, at which stage I had been planning to stop and call the army done. However, with the most recent changes to the Black Legion army list, not only is this army nearer 9,000 points in total, but it is no longer legal as it now has more WEs and aircraft than is allowed. There are also a few things I'd like to add to it anyway, so I guess the army isn't finished after all. First thing to add will be some Havoc character stands so that I can take the new Havoc formation rather than just the add-on for retinues.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, if I'm going to paint some classic plastic dreadnoughts for the Eldar, I might as well do it for my Chaos army as well, right?

Mostly for this army I've been quite precise about details like making sure that everything has the correct armament according to the rules. There's a reason my count-as-defilers daemon knights have little turrets on the top, for example; it's to represent the twin lascannons that the rules say that they have. But for these guys I decided to make an exception and just leave them as they are. Partly it was because I couldn't think of a good way to convert them to have the right weapons but mostly it was because I like them as they are. Space Crusade was my first introduction to the W40K universe so there's an element of nostalgia value, plus I just don't think they would look as good with a power fist or whatever.

I am a little bit sad about these because although I don't think they've come out too badly, they aren't up to the standard of the last few models I painted for this army before I stopped. I am definitely rusty.

In my last post I promised Havoc character stands. Those will probably be the next thing I paint for my Chaos army, although I might do some Eldar stuff first. But in that case, it probably won't be the Aspect Warriors I promised before. Basically, whatever I say I'm going to paint next, it probably won't be that.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Those screamers are real cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:47 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

great green on those eldar dreads

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, chaps.

Latest addition is a vibro-cannon battery. These are another exception to my usual efforts to have everything armed exactly as described in the rules. Partly because, again, I quite like the models as they are, and partly for the sake of practicality. I don't think I've ever seen any of the D-cannon support platforms come up on eBay and I don't have a source of D-cannons for converting. So these vibro-cannon will have to do.

I'm not entirely happy with these. I recently replaced my dried-up GW Scorpion Green with a pot of Coat d'Arms Scorpion Green and the CdA paint is more translucent than the GW stuff (also less dry and chalky, so it's not all bad). Consequently I'm finding it a bit harder to use. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Next will probably be these:

Hopefully it should be fairly clear what they're supposed to be.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, with a little more modelling work (tidying things up here and there and adding a few details) and a coat of paint, here are my finished Storm Serpents:

I'm quite pleased with how these have turned out; I think I'm starting to adjust to the slightly different green.

In an ideal world I'd have preferred to go with E:A-era models for my SHTs. The E40k-era sculpts aren't bad, but the later models are just gorgeous. However, after a pair of Storm Serpents I was bidding for on eBay went for £95, I concluded that I would settle for the older models instead. Since there weren't any Storm Serpents at that time, I had to make my own.

They're based on Cobra hulls and are the only SHTs I have with the weird hexagon-patterned extra armour. I'm not overly keen on it but it does help to further differentiate these models from the other SHTs, so I don't particularly mind.

Last edited by AxelFendersson on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next