Login |  Register |  FAQ

a swarm of cheap little fliers

Post subject: a swarm of cheap little fliers
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

After asking about flying base sources, Blip had pointed me in the direction of e4m, and whilst digging for the requisite bases I noticed that they have a sprue of spaceships which can serve as small flyers for Epic scale.
They are made of almost-flexible plastic, have a mould line which is prominent on some models but is easily removed, and come at 12 for just £2.55!
They can be found here: http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

They're a mixed lot - all quite nice. Four are quite Eldar in appearance, two or three (depending on your interpretation) could be Tau, two are Chaos or possible Dark Eldar (or even Eldar at a pinch), the rest hover around different styles, with 3 small ones being suitable for Imperial fighters.

They're 10-37mm long, but they fit well with most Epic vehicles, and paint up well - I completed one, and will try to photograph it later.

In any case, they're a budget solution: I bought 3 sprues, which means Chaos get at least 6, possibly 9 fighters, the Eldar get 12, and the Tau 9 - will decide about the rest - for £7.65. Granted, they really fit in the Epic design only if you use them for the forces I suggested, and they're not precise matches; and the one looking like an Eldar Vampire (for example) is smaller than the actual GW model. Still, if you're not too picky, they work very well indeed.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: a swarm of cheap little fliers
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aah, those good old Silent Death models - brings back memories. Great find, thanks!
The Talon (third row from the top) would indeed make for a great (Dark) Eldar fighter.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whiskeyjack wrote:
Aah, those good old Silent Death models - brings back memories. Great find, thanks!
The Talon (third row from the top) would indeed make for a great (Dark) Eldar fighter.

Interesting - they have a background and a past, then?

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They certainly have! Those sprues were in the Silent Death (I think it was second edition) starter box.

Silent Death was a miniatures space battle game by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE), published somewhere in the nineties. My gaming group used to play it a lot, even though the rules were a bit clunky and it took a lot of bookkeeping: you had a template per ship and had to cross out damage boxes when hit. Plus tracking torpedoes, missiles ...

Unfortunately, ICE added so many expansions - bigger ships called warhounds, capital ships, all kinds of sourcebooks and races, plus the nightbrood, a horribly overpowered alien race - that all gaming balance was lost. Games started taking too long and you needed to bring at least 10 rulebooks to the table. Needless to say, we lost interest and went looking for other gaming systems.

As to the fluff, just do a Google search on 'Silent Death'. Good for many hours of reading ;D

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whiskeyjack wrote:
They certainly have! Those sprues were in the Silent Death (I think it was second edition) starter box.

Silent Death was a miniatures space battle game by Iron Crown Enterprises (ICE), published somewhere in the nineties. My gaming group used to play it a lot, even though the rules were a bit clunky and it took a lot of bookkeeping: you had a template per ship and had to cross out damage boxes when hit. Plus tracking torpedoes, missiles ...

Unfortunately, ICE added so many expansions - bigger ships called warhounds, capital ships, all kinds of sourcebooks and races, plus the nightbrood, a horribly overpowered alien race - that all gaming balance was lost. Games started taking too long and you needed to bring at least 10 rulebooks to the table. Needless to say, we lost interest and went looking for other gaming systems.

As to the fluff, just do a Google search on 'Silent Death'. Good for many hours of reading ;D

Oh dear, this could consume some time.... thanks for the info. 8) 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had my eye on these for quite a while and got a box - along with a box of their plastic mechs - at Salute, very nice they are too - especially for the price.