Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next

Stalker, Christmas and a 3D Printer

Post subject: Re: Stalker, Christmas and a 3D Printer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Many thanks for all the comments.

Rastamann wrote:
<Snip>
What software do you use to build the 3d models?

I use Cinema 4D R15 which is currently the latest release - I do not necessarily update every version.
Cinema 4D was one of the first 3D applications on the Mac and I have used it for years.
If you start fresh, It's probably not the best choice for creating 3D models for printing.
But I'm so accustomed to it, that whenever I try some other application, I come back quickly because of the differences in concept and user interface, despite some useful features the other applications might offer - talk about old dogs and new tricks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Stalker, Christmas and a 3D Printer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I had a go with blender and despite the steep learning curve there are quite a few video tutorials out there. Any of the well known packages seem to be equally good - I get the feeling you stick with what you know once you've learned how to use one of them!!

[edit] great looking stuff by the way Brumbaer - I'm more than a bit jealous!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The time is running short - about 36 hours left.
Here is the next troop type Fight-Bommas.

When I started the design it immediately looked like the Forge World version, which isn't surprising, because I find it brilliant.
But I wanted my design to be different, so I thought about how an Ork would design a plane.
He most likely would sit down on the biggest jet-engine he can put his bum on, and try to fly. No being met by too much success he would add some wings and the thing would fly, probably held in air more by belief then physics. The he would grab the machine guns from his bike and off he would go.

And that is what I did. I took the jet engine from the Saracen(my Marauder version) added wings, guns and rockets and put an Orc on top. The right most plane is build just that way. In case you should wonder the engine is upside down.

Taking a step back and looking at the FB, I realized that the engine looks in fact like the fuselage of a plane, so I cut out some space for a cockpit and added a canopy. As I wanted the pilot to be seen I designed the canopy as a mesh of struts,
But the struts of are so very thin and fragile, when I realized how fragile I already had printed 8 models. So there are two (one involuntary) variants with cockpit, one with struts and one without.

All in all I'm content with the design. Whenever I come back to them I will strengthen the canopy and also make the pilot easier to access with a paint brush.
A more elaborate paint scheme would also be great, probably something with teeth.

The FBs are not that good, but at least they look threatening.

One troop type left - designing has already started.

Have a nice week.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Those fliers look real cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:49 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Absolutely amazing that you've designed and created all of that. Keep up the good work!

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The number of updates makes you think this is spam and not a thread describing a project :)
Rest assured that's the last one for a while, the first wave of Orcs are finished - 4 hours early - many thanks for your comments and interest, it gave me that extra bit of motivation to pull that through in time.

The latest and last troop type are Stormboyz.

I designed 8.5 half different troopers - the half one is basically the twin of an other one, a pinch higher in the air with a different jet stream.

4 out of 8.5 I had to redo, because the models broke at the connection between exhaust pipe and stream. Some are still a bit weak, I may have to redo them again, I'll see how the survive playing.

I have it from usually well informed sources that the "S" on the romper of that red caped guy doesn't stand for Superman but for Stormboy.

I'm quite content with the design. I find some of the poses quite good. With hindsight, I might have grouped them combining their jet streams, instead of having separate models - on the other hand this would most likely lead to a P.I.T.A. when trying to paint them.
Talking about painting. I'm trying to convince myself that a bit more time and patience would better bring out the faces and jet streams, but I'm afraid it's more a lack of talent than time.

The poor runts will be up against an Impie army with lot's of activations and a good mix of artillery, infantry, cavalry and heavy tanks. So let's hope I do them Orks justice on the field of battle and the army concept works as I hope it does - or that I just roll better dices :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So cool.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:03 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

those are seriously awesome.....

I know you've said you're not interested in selling any, but if you ever considered uploading them to a shapeways store, I'd buy a whole bunch of those stormboyz

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Me 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

brumbaer wrote:
I'm quite content with the design. I find some of the poses quite good. With hindsight, I might have grouped them combining their jet streams, instead of having separate models - on the other hand this would most likely lead to a P.I.T.A. when trying to paint them.
Very cool indeed - don't worry about the painting - it is *much* better than mine :-[
As for the poses, having Stormboys going off in different (and surprising) directions seems very 'Orcish' to me . . . :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
those are seriously awesome.....

I know you've said you're not interested in selling any, but if you ever considered uploading them to a shapeways store, I'd buy a whole bunch of those stormboyz

Likewise.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

brumbaer,

Having read through the whole thread this is all incredible. Very, very, impressive. Thank you for sharing this process with us.

I would like to ask on the paint colors used for your reddish Ork vehicles and how you paint your epic Orks infantry.

I have a Ork horde awaiting painting and the dusty red is one theme I am contemplating.

Danke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 31  Next