Login |  Register |  FAQ

Making 6mm Transfers (advice welcome)

Post subject: Making 6mm Transfers (advice welcome)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I've been thinking about making 6mm transfers, specifically chapter symbols so small they can go onto the shoulders of 6mm Marines. Has anyone tried this and if so,do they have any words of warning/advice before I give it a try?

I've seen you can get blank decals that may not need a sealant here:http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/.-Laser-Water-Slide-Decal-Paper_155.htm

Would then a scaled down photo of a transfer sheet printed onto this do it?
Or would some further work be necessary?
Any advice very welcome, Cheers!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Making 6mm Transfers (advice welcome)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've tried it. Works well on vehicles, infantry more problematic. If you have ever tried putting decals on SM shoulder pads you will know the issues. These are made much more difficult at a smaller scale. It's not impossible though. Tips, get the right paper, clear or white depending on the main colour of your minis. Use decal solutions before and after application. Always print the decals on paper first. Some pics don't always look ok when reduced is size, you may need to tinker with your pics to make them look right. Getting these pics onto paper in large amounts to make best use of the paper can be tough. MS Word struggles with hundreds of pics on one page. I found it easier to free hand.

All the best.

My Personal Blog: http://mickeysminishome.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You're probably going to want vector graphics or a very high resolution photograph as well. Vector graphics would be best to make sure you get a crisp edge to the image.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You'll really need a photo printer with an extremely fine resolution - 1 picolitre, or ideally less (I paid around £100ish for a canon photo printer with this several years ago, I'm not familiar with current models). I didn't have transfer sheet but printed small versions of 40k chapter icons and imperial eagle onto paper and stuck this on to my Raven Guard years ago. I used my photo printer's max 1 picolitre resolution and this was good for vehicle icons but found this wasn't really high enough to come out properly detailed for icons tiny enough for shoulder pads. Though it wouldn't have worked with paper anyway so I didn't really try. Transfer paper and the solutions and that would be recommended. Here are a couple of photos of my Raven Guard so you can see how it came out (see the icon on the Dreadnought for probably the smallest one I printed), sorry the photos are a bit blurry link and link

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/689/tacticals.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/695/terminators1.jpg

Personally when I have the money, time ect do my chapter (hopefully later this year) I plan on designing and 3d printing chapter and squad specific shoulder pads using one of those 0.01mm high resolution resolution 3d printers and converting these onto my marines. I'll be interested to see how it goes as it's just an idea for the moment and I haven't seen anyone else crazy enough to try it yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wish you luck as I have bought 6mm decals for my Hammer's Slammers and other Merc units from Bad Idea Games. Who are no longer in business. And they were some very nice pieces ... However, you have to remember, something that small will/may be almost undecernable in 6mm for a shoulder pad. Not that you can't make it that small, but in the shrinking down of the symbol will lose much of its clarity ... I did use one of the Slammer Merc unit symbol whose icon is a Wolf head on my Space Wolves Ternimators. And they have a bigger shoulder pad then the standard SM. Note I paint my models in camo and tactical colors, not in the pretty bright GW color predilections ... These Terminators, are in dark foreboding utilitarian efficient looking colors ... like real soldiers ... ;D Image

Last edited by Legion 4 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys, some really good advice!

Fortunately I have a good photo printer, but as people here have been saying the images lost detail when scaled down. Maybe I could try vector graphics like Alpha suggested, failing that I could print out the symbols on card, and cutting with a fine tool use them to make stencils. Its Blood Angels so the symbol isn't the easiest to freehand unless I just use the blood teardrop. Will post if either ends up working ;)

GlynG wrote:
[b] Here are a couple of photos of my Raven Guard so you can see how it came out (see the icon on the Dreadnought for probably the smallest one I printed), sorry the photos are a bit blurry link and link

Legion 4 wrote:
... I did use one of the Slammer Merc unit symbol whose icon is a Wolf head on my Space Wolves Ternimators.

Nice! These pictures really make me want to give it a go...

Legion 4 wrote:
These Terminators, are in dark foreboding utilitarian efficient looking colors ... like real soldiers ... ;D

As marines should look :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you're thinking of something like this:
http://drdraze.deviantart.com/art/Blood ... -424591737
It should be fairly easy to vectorise it, something like gimp is free and could do that...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
... I did use one of the Slammer Merc unit symbol whose icon is a Wolf head on my Space Wolves Ternimators.

Nice! These pictures really make me want to give it a go...

Legion 4 wrote:
These Terminators, are in dark foreboding utilitarian efficient looking colors ... like real soldiers ... ;D

As marines should look :D[/quote]
Indeed ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Thanks for posting this. I have been thinking on some banner and was wondering how to approach this. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alf O'Mega wrote:
If you're thinking of something like this:
http://drdraze.deviantart.com/art/Blood ... -424591737
It should be fairly easy to vectorise it, something like gimp is free and could do that...

Will give this a go, thanks

GlynG wrote:
I plan on designing and 3d printing chapter and squad specific shoulder pads using one of those 0.01mm high resolution resolution 3d printers and converting these onto my marines. I'll be interested to see how it goes as it's just an idea for the moment and I haven't seen anyone else crazy enough to try it yet.

Sounds a cool idea, think you'd get a lot of interest on these boards if you could pull it off