Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

I Have No Point: A random hobby log

Post subject: Re: I Have No Point: A random hobby log
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:47 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Good job on a great mini, one of my favourites (rule of cool)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice - I like the heat colouration on the gun barrels.

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These are just beautiful. Inspiring me to paint, then despairing of ever showing anyone my own crudely daubed stick-figures by comparison.

Gorgeous stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As the Traitor lines crumbled under the unstoppable astartes counter-attack, the honor of the decapitating strike was given to the Iron Hands of Clan Kaargul. Tasked with taking the heart of the enemy strength, the so called called Tower of Woe that reaped the butchers bill of the Cadian 4th, it was known that even the standard Land Raider would not be able to survive the withering defensive fire expected. The officers and veterans with Terminator honors were gathered, the great Spartan Assault tanks were consecrated once again, and as the battle was joined, death rode with them...
Attachment:
Spartan.png
Spartan.png [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 5337 times ]

painters notes:
What can I saw? Iron Hands and Gorgon Terminators because...why not?
Typical urban wasteland theme I am using with a recurring motif of the cobblestone walkways showing up in each formation that subtly tie the army together.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
painters notes:
What can I saw?

You can saw anything you want, dear.

Brought to you by "I can't paint but I can still Typo Nazi."

Marvelous work, as always. I'd love to see what a whole table of your tinymans looks like!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Someone once asked me, "what would a 4k Iron Hands army look like?" I answered, "Impressive" ;)

I'll be sure to pull an army shot soon or better, just schlep yourself down from the cold. Seems to be the rest of the garden State is already here during season.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As soon as I have 3k of *something* painted. I promise you'll be the first to get a visit from the tour bus. I might be just about retirement age too, so it really would be appropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Found across tens if not hundred of thousands of worlds, the ubiquitous onyx colored Atmospheric stabilizer towers are found. Believed to be designed during the Dark Age of Technology, the STC data still is archived by the Adeptus Mechanicus. Barely understood in M38, the fully autonomous eco-manipulation cogitators are able to analyze and effect terraforming, albeit over dozens of generations or to stabilize climate to human norms otherwise unbreathable environments.
Attachment:
Atmo Processor.jpg
Atmo Processor.jpg [ 372.73 KiB | Viewed 5054 times ]

The Imperium runs on the blood of martyrs though its wealth is, and has always been found in it's infrastructure. Even in war torn regions the capture and reuse of existing infrastructure is common. This simple sensorium, the cogitator banks and augers long since ransacked and destroyed, was quickly repurposed as an AA defense tower, equipped with 4 quad barreled shielder class weapon systems, it was capable of destroying even the most well armoured flyers that foolishly wandered within range.
Attachment:
Flack Tower.jpg
Flack Tower.jpg [ 444.01 KiB | Viewed 5054 times ]

painter's notes:

Need to switch to tackling some of the many outstanding terrain projects I have laying around still. The first item is an atmo processor stack from Fenris Games. A 'good enough' lump of resin for the cost. I wanted to experiment with sun bleaching and weathering techniques for black and near blacks here on something that didn't really matter prior to tackling my Legio Crucius. Based with VMA Charcoal with progressive passes of WMA Grey Green and then Steel Grey. The side were GW copper with VMC brass highlights. An ugly dappled layer of AP Strong tone ink was unevenly applied to simulate wear. Verdigris effects to give character and to hide defects in the resin casting. Portland grey oils from the standard artist colors was used to provide further discoloration, especially on the lower part and the 'legs' of the building. An extreme edge highlight of astronomicon grey was added to give the corners and all the hard edges plenty of pop. From there it was just plenty of grime and mechanical gunk by using burnt umber and burnt sienna (again, standard artist oils) to provide streaking. Pigment powders because... reasons (and it's an arid themed collection).

The latter piece is an old recast of an FW sensorium building from their epic terrain. This was an old gift from the otter years and years ago. It lacked the little tower parts on the corners so just had open holes. It had been partially painted and drybrushed with a set of colors I never really identified. After more than a few years getting beat up on my tables the paint job had seen far better days. I performed some TLC where I could and in order to prevent further flaking and rubbing off I covered the whole thing in a layer of AP quickshade. I figure this will keep her protected for the rest of my life. It doesn't give a very deep shading and contrast so i came back through when dry and pin washed all the cracks with burnt umber oil just to give more ummph. In the end it's 'good enough'. Since it was riddled with casting errors I decided to attempt to hide and explain some of it as war damage so tried to make shell holes and blast marks out of them.

To deal with the missing parts I finally grabbed some of the cute VGM AA guns and decided to give it a backstory of being a repurposed building in some captured urban district. In order to further impress the ad hoc nature of what I was doing here I made sure they don't resemble anything of the building, going with a VMC Cayman green base, highlights with VGC Camouflage Green added. A little VGC brassy brass on the barrel tips to give a flash of color and to contrast against the old copper dome.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work Jimmy.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking good!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/bitsblitz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice weathering - especially the first tower!

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Eee, them's reet proper fancy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the claustrophobia of urban combat, every rubble pile is a redoubt, every building a fortress... - Lord Commissar Fu'shang
Attachment:
Administratum1.jpg
Administratum1.jpg [ 507.89 KiB | Viewed 4915 times ]

Attachment:
Administratum2.jpg
Administratum2.jpg [ 465.24 KiB | Viewed 4915 times ]

painter's notes:
MOAR old dodgy recast FW buildings. The goal is cheap, plentiful, and varying scenery. This building more served as a disposable target to experiment with airbrush color modulations and transitions with (if I wreck it, who cares?). Practicing mixing straight in the cup, backflow gangster-gumbo style to come up with all sorts of dusty stone effects. The desire was less a building in the faux gothic style with soaring windows vs giving a Petra look for everything being carved straight from stone. Not windows and alcoves but the carving to look like them. This recast building was especially terribad with bubbles and broken bits...so WAR DAMAGE! There was no way to repair it so I rolled with it using lots of oils like starship filth and burnt umber as filters and damage markers. I'm impressed by how well these old buildings actually work with the AT and the VGM building parts!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

++++++
Special Report collated by Maeister Lukov for Segmentum Command, Kar Duniash
An Ongoing Investigation into Events Surrounding the 3rd Saturune Crusade, M38
Addendum 44.8b

It is believed my Lord the Astartes "Stalker" consists of Icarus Stormcannon Array mounted on a Rhino chassis. It is notable for having a larger design than our common Hydra Flak Tank and from our intelligence reports exhibit both higher rates of fire and the ability to track and engage multiple targets simultaneously. Our Adeptus Mechanicus liaisons were unable, or more correctly unwilling to provide details other than to confirm it is part of sacred STC data that was unearthed less than a millennium ago. As to then why the Astartes traitors seemed to field this seemingly modern addition is disturbing. When pressed, the Mechanicum representative unequivocally stated 'No further data is available' and made it clear it would remain that way irrespective of what threats we intimated.

However lack of information forces us to postulate the following scenarios:
*The intelligence reports are wrong

*The Scions of Perturabo have captured and salvaged Imperial equipment

*They are in possession of fully working and available manufacturing specifications and may self arm

*They have access to Adeptus Mechanicus manufacturing sources of the vehicle.

The first is unlikely due to multiple independent verification channels rated quality: Primus. The next two possibilities are logical due the well known technical acumen of the 4th Legion though the extreme technical specificity required producing the needed logis engines preclude that. As terrifying as this may be to conjecture, the last possibility is a most terrifying prospect, my Lord, to think that perhaps they have found succor and support from some dark cabal of our Martian allies. The secretive and almost isolationist nature of the Machine Cult is well known but to say such things, even in private must be careful of...

Attachment:
IW Stalker.png
IW Stalker.png [ 507.39 KiB | Viewed 4708 times ]

Painter's Notes:
OMFG I hate this model. These were the very last purchase I ever did from the antepodean source. While under all this you can tell the design is great, the casting of the 6 I got is so terrible as to make one weep. Soft details, misaliged, fugly errors everywhere and just YUCK. I ditched 4 of them but decided to give a stab at doing at least 2 for the IW as they do have them in the NetEA list. I figured that after letting them sit for 6 months, meh...just slap some paint on them, come up with a possible backstory as to why they'd be theirs, and call it good enough.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next