Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rex's Ork Horde

Post subject: Re: Rex's Ork Horde
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice conversions. I have a load of those old battle wagons and I may try out some of your ideas.

Follow me on Twitter @Mini_Miscellany

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 8:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a quick WIP. Been working on this guy last couple of nights. Been adding little bits at a time as not really too sure where I was going to go with this one. Been basing him roughly off the stompa poster from an old white dwarf. Unsure about what to add as the 2nd arm so Might come back to him after Ive attacked the stack of infantry I have piling up around me!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 7:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking for Painting advice from anyone that has good advice!

I thought I make a start on painting some of the infantry, even if only to get a rough Idea of how I like them to be. Only trouble is Im having terrible trouble with painting them. I Know I'm terribly out of practice with painting, especially at 6mm scale. I have painted a couple of stands of terminators that turned out awful and a handful of random ork minis recently and that's it. I seem to be getting very chalky or very streaky paint, even though I use the standard practice of watering down paint, Ive even taken to using vallejo medium thinner (which was a godsend for my very gooey pot of goblin green!)

I have painted a handful of 28mm goblins since I restarted in the hobby and though not the greatest painted, they at least came out with smooth coats.

But I have tried to get a nice, streak free and smooth coat of either reds, or yellow and its really starting to get me down.

It is most noticeable on the cannon at the back. The light and dark lines in the yellow are not highlights, but lumps.

I used black undercoat> tinny tin base > dheneb stone on all parts that were to be yellow (very very thin coat)> Gold brown (vallejos close to match for darksun)> Flat yellow> very light edgeing with golden yellow>home made yellow glaze (which is just flat yellow Mixed with slightly more Medium+ water)

I did very thin coats, and the home made glaze worked a treat and really blended in my awful yellow highlights.

The skin tone was just goblin green > Home made black wash (I had used Badab black but Ive never got on with GW washes and It left the orks shiney and gooey looking) then just more goblin green. Once I had started the GGreen for the highlights I started to hide facial details!

These are the badab ones with the glossy skin! I gave up on these as I hated them so much and so they never got to the glaze stage!

I have been looking up painting guides, Watching videos and searching all the old incoming! ezines, and copy every piece of advice (which is normally water paints down, thin layers!) and I just don't seem to be getting it right at this scale!

I'm thinking that maybe An idea to switch to grey primer, but Ive seen many decent looking orks from black primers and so think it might just be me!
Maybe I wasn't made to paint! :'(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh dear.

Almost a year since I updated this log, and this project almost became extinct. I became very angry at (what I thought) lack of talent and progress, along with the GW attitude towards this system ( the 'walk in to gw and mention 6mm' standard horror story that everyone has heard here before) and boxed this lot up, thinking that I would come to terms that my epic ork horde was over.

I dabbled a bit with warhammer, Brought a 40k dark eldar force and after a couple of months, hated it all.

When a couple of months ago my other half demanded to know what I was going to do with all the epic stuff in boxes that was in her way. Ebay I said. She was miffed. She had spent a lot of money on them for me and was hoping that I was going to paint her an army.

She wanted a blue army of some kind with some thing 'Egyptiany'. So I pulled out a box of the old style chaos and got to work on them. Brought some new brushes (50 quids worth of W&N S7's- best purchase I have ever made, they are fantastic, and make me feel like a 'proper artist'! :D

I'm painting very slowly. I have almost finished 6 stands (and a few warmaster mins) in about 2 months- far to slow to make army, but Ive not been so relaxed in years- perfect for my well being, and perfect for keeping up with my favorite scale!

So, my photographic skills have not improved, I don't know if that's me or if that our old cheap camera but I thought I'd share, even if its just to keep a record of for my own work. Not up to some of the standards that people present on here, and not very pretty so close up, but Ive learnt the 'at arms length' test, and they look great at distance!

My 1ksons leader base. Need to tidy up the outer base, and Im thinking of adding a few highlights to the green and yellows as the washes took away a bit much of the brightness. I need to add something the rock face behind as well- It looked great when primed but looks empty now its painted!

The flamers are glossy IRL, I think the gloss really makes them look other worldly, and I will have to do the same to the dogs in the large base.

The marines are two to this base- I intend to go between 2 and 3's per stand to maximis the amout of bases I can make. I want to have enough to do a 3-4k 1ksons army as well a iron sons or nurgle army for myself, with out having to buy any minis from GW.

With my new enthusiasm for painting Ive restarted on my space orcs. I love the boar boy but was annoyed when I found I had left a huge mould line on his head! Oh well, I really enjoyed working on them.

I spent a bit of time working on the headlight of the bike, painting like high elf gems and glossing it- its just a shame I couldn't get a good shot of it, but looking forward to using the technique on a much larger model. I had put off painting the type of effect before but it was surprisingly easy on such a small area.

Sorry for a lot of text for not a lot of work. I don't get a lot of opportunity to either a) type anything and b) waffle on about wargaming! I have just been lucky enough to grab a boxset of the epic 40k set on ebay for £25- it had a lot of the card stock parts missing but contained the terrain (which I was in desperate need for!) the rule books and for a ton load of orks (way more then what came in the original box!) as well as a bunch of plastic marines (but no tanks) and some other odds and ends. Bargain!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:33 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I'm glad you got your 6mm mojo back :) those are some pretty orksies

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yay! Blue armour! ^_^

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RexHavoc wrote:
Then a couple of months ago my other half demanded to know what I was going to do with all the epic stuff in boxes that was in her way. Ebay I said. She was miffed. She had spent a lot of money on them for me and was hoping that I was going to paint her an army.

She wanted a blue army of some kind with some thing 'Egyptiany'. So I pulled out a box of the old style chaos and got to work on them.

This is the most awesome thing ever. My wifey looks at all this, sighs, shakes her head and then walks away. :D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:

This is the most awesome thing ever. :D

It was until this week. I now have to be the one to tell her that this army is going to be shelved, as there is no chance of getting the minis I needed to complete it...

This is going to be one of them conversations that end with "oh, but I suppose you intend to buy the rest of the orcs you need off ebay..."

Sadly I have no more photos to show of my space orcs. I have spent my bank holiday weekend busy though. I have made a custom base for my warboss but its in its individual components and the parts were too small to photo individually (not at my photographic level any way!)

But they include:
Paving slabs
pile of skulls
mushrooms
Grot wolf rider with banner

Had to give my eyes a rest as making the pile of skulls took the best part of 2 hours and strained my eyes!

I have also started making some print out banners, but so far they have been rather uninspiring! I may go back to my original hand made banners and use the last few decals I have on them. Tried looking around the net for the more recent design of the bad moon symbol but there is very little out there, there is a handful of the old style, but I much prefer the more recent one! Had to rely on my own scanner and the decal sheet from the warbike sheet!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not so fast. I got some stuff for you, mate. Read your PM.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Not so fast. I got some stuff for you, mate. Read your PM.

Jimmy, Inc Email ;D

For your viewing Horror:

Ive tried to get an in focus shot of my warboss whilst the flooring dries. Not much to look at yet but if you squint you can just make out a pile of skulls behind him, and to the left the ever so tiny mushrooms!

Not a great shot, but I wanted to share in case any one wanted to add any suggestions before I make the final details and can not add or remove any more!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some excellent conversion work in this topic. :) I'm especially impressed by the mega armour.
Much sympathy with the sudden unavailability of minis too - I'm not the most diligent epic army builder (probably the least), but I've been thinking about recent events and my own few plans just got a little less viable too.

Looking at the post with the beginnings of your 1K sons, I think I can sum up one of your photography problems with one word: windowsill. There's nothing like natural sunlight for lighting your mini photos, but it's not a whole pile of help when it's shining on the back of the minis, that you're snapping from the front. ;) I'd say get the sunlight directed onto the front, either by simply turning them around (though that might involve moving them further, inside or outside, to place the camera correctly) or with the use of a conveniently sized and angled mirror. That, or look into 'daylight' bulbs or white fluorescent lights.
(I use an 11W fluorescent desklamp myself, angled away and reflected with white plasticard into a 'photo booth' - a partial homemade box of white laminated chipboard with an old grey t-shirt as a backdrop. Basic and cobbled-together, but provides plenty of directed and ambient light for a nice photo; though it's probably still more than what's strictly necessary. :) )