Login |  Register |  FAQ

Saim-Hann (hopefully a log-to-be...)

Post subject: Re: Saim-Hann (hopefully a log-to-be...)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

nice eldar !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So now, a question for all of you. The other day, a Vampire Hunter arrived, and I've now finished the reds, whites and cockpit:

However, at this point I'm not entirely sure what to do. It looks quite nice as a model (the reds look far better in person), but I feel that it's looking too plain and missing the chevrons/stripes of my other vehicles. The thing is, I'm not entirely sure what I can do to it: a chevron going from both wingtips to somewhere on the centreline near the rear of the fuselage would work, but I'm not sure if I trust myself to draw straight enough lines: for those who don't know, this model's about three times as wide as my Scorpion. The other normal option would be to put a straight diagonal line somewhere (two of my Vypers and a Falcon have this), but I'm not sure where: I can't see how I'd avoid having it on one wing but not the other, which would probably make the model look lopsided. Other thoughts? I could possibly do something on the falcon-sized wings around the cockpit, or maybe even just on the tailfins. This sculpt is gorgeous (and has deposed the Scorpion as my favourite Epic-scale model...), and as it'll likely be the largest in my army I really think it needs a bit more than the simple red-and-white it has currently.
So, any thoughts or words of advice would be greatly appreciated :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

how about alternating white wing panels on the falcon bit and then matching that with the same on the main wings?

maybe even a white panel on the engines?

also if you do white on the panels it means you dont have to draw straight lines :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking stuff so far!

Have you thought about using masking tape ?
If you don't get modelling masking tape like Tamiya, make sure it is low tack and the paint has thoroughly cured (24-48 hours) or you'll pull paint.

Mango has some great ideas as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I ended up doing it freehand, but not whole-wing chevrons: Something like this.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-seiQ9ROVvfI/TaylsUC2NDI/AAAAAAAAAZo/cSEcEPbOGfw/s1600/DSCF3816.JPG
(not my vamp obviously, but I've ended up doing chevrons in a similar place, except obviously white and without his funny lightning-bit)

Pics to come once I have them straightened out and done!
Zombie: Normally I'd agree with masking tape, but I think on these models it'd be more trouble than it's worth. The wings are covered with bumps and obstructions, and I have no idea how you'd get a clean edge. I might play around with some on my next vampire thought, just to see if it works.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jianaran,

I use a dental tool (a rounded burnisher) to press the tape down, it works on 15 mm, models. I've never had occasion to try with Epic, and it may be too fiddly, but I'd give it a go anyway. From your comments, I guess you are looking for a Hard edge.

You might consider blue tac and then a ruler to get the line straight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Zombie: As I said, just finished the Vampire. However, I'm probably going to add at least another two before this army's done, and will certainly try the tape on a future one. So, a pic!
Note to self: find real camera. Possibly even with macro!
Well, this is about 1000 points of vehicles done in the last seven days. I call that a success!
Now, to await my 6 Serpents and 3 Firestorms on their way from FW and the 11 more Jetbikes and 8 more Vypers (When will I use 14 Vypers? Who knows!) on their way from eBay, and I'll have the beginning of an army! And maybe at some point I'll even find an opponent and get some games in!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the vampire looks great !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How did you do the dark lining on the aircraft?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

pixelgeek: It's actually surprisingly simple. I'll run through the complete procedure to get my red base.

Firstly, spray undercoat with some sort of black. Then, a basecoat with Mechrite Red: I don't thin it much if at all, and put it on with quite a dry brush (not drybrushing, but close), so it doesn't go into the cracks in the model. Some will anyway, but you're trying to minimise that.
When there's a solid base layer of Mechrite, I go over it all with P3 Khador Base, but Blood Red or any bright red colour would be fine. Again, just laying down a smooth coat here, and avoiding the cracks (although again, it'll be impossible to keep them completely black). I find the Khador Base has a nasty glossiness, but it doesn't really matter that much.
After that, lots of highlighting. I use Vallejo Scarlet, which has a great colour and goes on quite thinly/transparently. This time, only paint the panels, and start highlighting: avoid dark areas, and put more layers on areas that would be well lit.
After this, a solid wash with Devlan Mud. This really brings out the reds, and tones it all down to a much more russet-like colour. However, it's quite dull, so I rehighlight with the Vallejo Scarlet to make it a bit brighter.

At this point you should have a really nice red model (see the unchevronned Vampire a few posts above), with most of the cracks still the black of the undercoat, and some accidentally red. The Devlan wash will have toned down the panel lines with red in them to the point where you could probably leave it here, but I like to go back with a fine brush and some watered down black paint to reemphasise the cracks which got painted accidentally. If you put on too much black (easy), wipe the area with some damp cloth quickly to take it off; enough will probably stay in the crack to not have to come back, but if it's still red just do it again. When you've done that, you should have a red base exactly like mine, with the only things left to do being some stripes in white and maybe a few gemstones.

Hope that's been of some help!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very helpful. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:40 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Stunning work- loved the crispness of stripes/chevrons.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

stunning model, I absolutely love the colour scheme. For future vampires, how about chevrons just on the engine covers?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ya, those FW Eldar flyers are gorgeous. Very striking in red.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Post subject: Still not dead!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Over the past month or so, I've found myself painting again for the first time in a while. So, after almost exactly three years, an update (still with awful photography):

And a group shot:

So, that gives me 3 Nightwings, 3 Phoenixes, 2 Vampire Hunters, and1 Vampire Raider. I've also completed a large number of bikers and gravtanks, but these are currently stuck in boxes at an old house. Together, that gives a rough combined force of ~5k points (which have been used in precisely two games. Ah well.)

Some newly bought additions (when they arrive) will add another pair of Scorpions to round out a trio of the Engines of Vaul (threes seems to be a theme here...), together with a few more gravtanks and aspect warriors. If I haven't lost interest by that point, it might be time to bite the bullet and add a titan or three. Updates may or may not be forthcoming within the next three years!