Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next

Speed IG - A Painters Diary

Post subject: Speed IG - A Painters Diary
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So am I right in thinking that Fanatic pay you in models? Or are you getting some ??? and then buying some models? Either way is good, as they both result in a pile of lead (or resin, whichever takes your fancy...)

I also saw the highlights to the Rugby match, Samoa gave England a good run for their money! The first half score was a bit of a scare! But I believe that we can win the competition as long as we don't make a stupid mistake!

Cheers

Chris

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:00 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (TuffSkull @ 24 2003 Oct.,18:50)
And Cybershadow:
If you fancy painting up a Gargant / great gargant, I reckon I'll give an Ork Force a go after these guys. I've only got 1 KoS done on grass in my collection at the moment, so i could rebase them if needed and reckon I could do up the rest of the force in good time, but if you want a gargant, I hate painting them, so that would be down to you!

I wont bother with an Ork titan. I am not a fan of the 'big boys' and am not familiar enough with the rules for titans to feel confident to sue it correctly. Of course, this does not stop you using a titan for the other army.

I wonder, if Orks can customise things like a Basilisk, what would happen if the Orks got their hands on an old Warlord Imperial Titan. I feel another project coming on... :blues:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (CyberShadow @ 26 2003 Oct.,17:00)
I wont bother with an Ork titan. I am not a fan of the 'big boys' and am not familiar enough with the rules for titans to feel confident to sue it correctly. Of course, this does not stop you using a titan for the other army.

I just discovered a gargant I forgot whcih i painted up a few months back. If I do field a titan, its unlikely to be more than a Warhound or two, so they should be evenly matched.

And what do you mean you dont know the rules well enough? I havent even read the latest versions yet! You've got months to look it up... I've got to get 2 armies done in that time too........ Maybe we should get Tom along to tell us both what we're doing?

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That army is a work of _art_. I love the Stormhammers. They should open a museum to display your work. And I wish I had enough cash to commission you to paint my IG army, my Squat army, my marine army, my...  :{

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Mojarn Piett @ 27 2003 Oct.,07:16)
That army is a work of _art_. I love the Stormhammers. They should open a museum to display your work. And I wish I had enough cash to commission you to paint my IG army, my Squat army, my marine army, my... ?:{

LOL, this place & the web _IS_ my museum ?:D

As for commissions, these guys are relatively Fast, I reckon I could knock out units of 3 for ?5, possibly ?6 if they were covered in kit (ie are E40K miniatures). But thats just me using your comment as an excuse for an advert, so On with the stuff you actually want to see:

Day 7 - Monday 27th October, Day of..umm....very little....

Well, I've hardly lifted a paintbrush in 36hours. Makes a change I suppose!

I continued to fiddle with a few bits on Sunday, doing a little more on the 6 Manticores and Lightning fighter, but neither got finished.

Monday headed in the same direction. I started off continuing with the Manticores, but I kept getting distracted and only got half of them past the black in stage.
Thus, determined to make progress I headed for the lightning fighter. I have a bad history with imperial airplanes, having Never painted one that I've been happy with in the whole time I've been playing epic.

This has built into some sort of a phobia for me and thus my IG armies only ever contained about 2 dozen aircraft of all types, despite once reaching a grand size of 100's of thousands of points. For this force I had to overcome this.... and I think I might have.

I finished up the Lightning as fast as I could, but its clear that the aircraft are going to take a good deal longer than any other unit in the army. God knows what I'm going to do when I get the Marauders... They're huge.....Eeek! :O

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They look really good Tuff. I picked up a set of those at GD, and I needed some inspiration. Did yours come with the wings attached or not? Mine didn't, and it took some time to get them level again!

I look forward to seeing the Marauders you plan on doing as well, they would look ace!

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Chris @ 28 2003 Oct.,09:49)
They look really good Tuff. I picked up a set of those at GD, and I needed some inspiration. Did yours come with the wings attached or not? Mine didn't, and it took some time to get them level again!

I look forward to seeing the Marauders you plan on doing as well, they would look ace!

Cheers

Chris

Weird. Yeah, both my Strikes & attack sets came with wings & fuselage as one part. only seperate bit was the weaponry!?!
I did get them a while back though, when the models first came out, so I guess they've changed the moulds since then  :oo

Thanks for the kind words *head continues to swell* :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good work so far Tuff.

After reading this, it really makes me embarressed about how long I leave things uncompleted. :blush:

I think I may have to get a move on again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Job, T/S !  As Usual !  :;):

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Shadow Hunter @ 28 2003 Oct.,10:06)
Good work so far Tuff.

After reading this, it really makes me embarressed about how long I leave things uncompleted. :blush:

I think I may have to get a move on again.

LOL, I do odd projects like this, my 40K guard or LoTR Rohirrm (among others), where I just storm through an army, but dont ever think I'm an efficient painter. I have models on my desk that are half completed, at least two of which I started with the intention to enter them into Golden Demon.... in 2000...... ?:o

Edit: Realising the professional implications of what I said, let me clarify.....
I'm not always an efficient painter when it comes to painting my own stuff.
I do however, make all possible efforts to be very efficient when working on commission pieces (I point to 1 day turnarounds for the last two Fanatic Orders - recieved, painted & sent back the same day.) Just thought I'd get that in before any potential customers (here's praying there;s some out there!) decide I sound un professional!  :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Man, that flyer looks way cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Day 8 - Tuesday 28th October - Day of interruption..

Today's painting didnt go quite as planned. Working until 5:30, I had planed to have one last blitz this evening before I go out tomorrow night & away on Thursday. However, one little visit put pay to that concept. On Thursday I'm going to visit my GF before travelling on to meet up with a Venture Scout camp & lead a hike over the weekend. So my GF's mum popped in to drop off some stuff for me to take down with me. But she didnt just drop it off.... she started talking.... and kept talking...... and... well, you get the picture!

Anyway, after finally ushering her politely out the door, I revved up the brush -O- matic & got to work...

First job: base the Lightning. Dead easy, nothing new other than to point out:
NEVER glue the stems onto your flying bases new out of the blister! When you come to pait the miniature, you WILL regret it. Blue-tac them in place if need be, but you'll want to undercoat the base of the stand, and if the stem is glued in place, You'll end up undercoating that too - not good! So, simply blue tac in place and wait to glue until your base (& thus normally model)is finished.

That done, I did the basic coats on the next batch. This was comprised of 3 Bombards & 6 transports (non-GW 1/300 "modern" miniatures). The Transports dont actually serve a purpose in the army (yet) but I wanted to include some as I had them spare and thought they'd look cool.

Whilst the wash layer was dring on those pieces, I went back to the 6 manticores from Sunday / Monday (cunning of a painter - think about what you can do at each stage so there's never a dull moment!), did the metalics and base coats on the missiles & based them. They still need Highlights on the missiles & company markings, but I might get time before work tomorrow for some of that (fingers crossed...)

Once that work was done on the Manticores, the Bombards and transports were dry so i returned to them & picked out all the basic mettallics * based them. The transports needed some other areas such as windows and the canvas covers to be picked out, so although they're only extras, they actually took more time than the bombards - Oh well! I blacked in the windows with Chaos black & did the canvas in Graveyard Earth with a straight highlight of Desert yellow.

At that point I gave up on the attempt to complete all the armour before I go away & decided to write this up instead.
So whats left to do?
3 Manticores for the company
3 Heavy transports
3 FW Manticore platforms (maybe)
1 Lightning
2 Companies worth of infantry (eek!)
12 stands of Commissars ('cos I'll be using my rigged dice of course...)

Then the reinforcements on - route from Forgeworld:
3 Stormblades
2 marauder Bombers
3 Leman Russ Destroyers
3 Trojans (again, just to look cool ?:cool: )
3 Basilisks
9 Chimeras for mechanised company & support.

So not much then.....
I probably wont be getting any more done until Monday now - enjoy the break from my waffle , here's some pics :p

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will add one more small note.
I based the transports 2 to a warmaster base. They're really too small for individual basing on warmaster bases, but basing them 2 to a base that size means I can more easily use them as proxies for chimeras (same base size)if I want in a future unit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Who makes the truck models?

Sorry if I missed the explanation in a previous post.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tuffskull,

Incredible work. Good to see you still at it.

Peter,

The transports look Soviet and I'm guessing H&R / Navwar.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next