Login |  Register |  FAQ

Building Deffsta

Post subject: Building Deffsta
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,
This is all about my old Mega Gargant, Grok?s Gargant, and my new ex-Mega gargant-converted-to-Gargant, Deffsta.
Long ago I had built up a plastic Mega Gargant, named simply Grok?s Gargant after the Deathskull warlord who commanded it. I had for ages been intending to build its twin as a Bad Moonz M-G, for my warlord Nazdakka, but delay piled on delay and today, years after Titan Legions came out, my Moonz M-G is still incomplete.
Cue entry Epic Armageddon.
The rules do not include an M-G, unless one includes the old model rules, but I wanted a tournament-capable Gargant; and I was not thrilled by the multiple arms behind the Mega Gargant either. So I decided to build what I would call Deffsta.
Hence the blurb, which is reproduced below from elsewhere in Epicomms:

"Deffsta was originally a Mega Gargant, as W.Nice correctly observed, and part of Warlord Nazreg's forces. Believed to have been destroyed by a coordinated strike by the Eldar of Iybraezil, the shell of Deffsta was salvaged by Nazdreg's minion Nazdakka (who could teach the Deathskulls a thing or two on appropriating equipment). Deffsta was rebuilt as a Gargant by Nazdakka's chiek mekboy Nazmek, boasting two twin-linked Soopaguns and one single Soopagun (the big gunz on the gundecks). Believed to be not yet operational, the Gargant building site was attacked by the Eldar, but Deffsta trundled out of its construction pen, its barrages devastating the Eldar attack (ok, time to divert from the rather obvious blurb-o-source). Deffsta has never been  fully completed, and still lacks Gargant arms (which it will never get), serving instead as a vastly powerful mobile gun platform-of-a-Gargant.
The idea of a massive gun gundeck comes (believe it or not) from a wartime Popeye cartoon featuring a battleship with gundecks similar to Deffsta's."

What follows is a blow-by-blow account of the ongoing construction of Nazdakka?s ever-incomplete Deffsta ? with minimal mention of Landas.
:p

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I remeber some of the images from those WWII era popeye cartoons, so that would look cool and is definitely an orky concept.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pics of Grok?s Gargant and Deffsta will eventually, when yahoo briefcase cooperates, be posted.

Grok?s Gargant comes from the polychromatic ork era. A colourful beastie, he is painted in traditional Deathskull colours i.e. anything goes! In this more ? ah ? mature age I tend to favour less colour (as witnessed by my Thundabad 1 pics), so one thing I can say about this Moonz Gargant is that his colour will be more muted ? but more about this later.
I decided to build a Great Gargant, and with an image of gigantic cannons bristling from each gun deck, set about to do so. I hesitated to include any of the multiple arms on the original model ? so much so that the Gargant even lost its less weird (!) standard pair of arms. The weapons fir of 2 x twin-linked supaguns and 1 x supagun fitted perfectly in the gundecks, so I didn?t really need any other weapons points (already having the smaller gun turrets and Gaze of Mork from the original model components). In the event I realized that the Gargant looked a bit too stubby; a flash of inspiration showed me an incomplete Gargant with scaffolding and construction fittings still in place. Result: Deffsta.

Next ? construction.

Stage 1 ? the original plan: big soopagunz

From the plastic Mega Gargant I retained all gundeck sections, the bottom section with the blades all removed, the two side track units, the head, the 4 conical-roofed gun turrets, and the two rearward-facing ramps. I assembled these in standard manner (except for the gun turrets), and set about hunting for soopagunz. Several objects can be used for these, and my choices vary ecletically to include:
2 x ceramic fuses for the lower pair
2 x 2 pieces of plastic tubing for the middle pair (small diameter pipe inserted in larger one to give a multi-part barrel appearance)
1 x gun sawn off a 40K Chaos defiler close combat weapon, with a 40K Chaos Landraider lascannon tip for the barrel

I fitted all the cannon in place, with most barrels pointing forward except for the middle pair, angled to one side. I then aligned the port pair of small gun turrets with these pair, but pointed the starboard turrets in completely different directions ? Gork knows what those gunnerz are aiming at.

I was pleased with the soopagunz, but still unhappy with the general image of the Gargant. Enter the Deffsta concept
:o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Looking forward to the pictures!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To give an unfinished look to the Gargant, I decided to fit a few pieces of angle iron from an old Esci 1/76 scale accessories kit (a useful old kit which includes signposts, wooden boards, poles, steel sections etc. Not the right scale, but still very useful. A few chopped sections of these would, I decided, look good, but the shoulders were a bit bare. So I fitted the two shoulder sections from the original Mega Gargant kit, with the rounded one attached the wrong way one on the starboard side with the hole pointing up ? looks a bit like a balcony this way. Three chopped ?steel? sections were fitted onto it. I broke my rule for the right arm, and fitted the steel gantry with the Weirdboy tower on ? in this case this functions as the senior Mekboy?s office on the construction site. At this point I added one more gun turret, from a plastic Ork tank ? whoops, guntrukk ? on top of the head, and perversely pointed this to give the Mekboy?s office a near-miss.

I decided to boost the construction site image, and added the two rear upright beams from the original (the Big Lobba and Krooz Missul mounts) as a platform for more plastic ?steel? sections. As an afterthought, I added the big grabber from the original facing the rear (see side views). This is not a close combat weapon, but a bit of construction equipment built directly onto the Gargant.

It?s not ready for painting yet ? I?m thinking about keeping one of the rear ramps open and want to see what I can add, and the rear definitely needs more work. And then I have to think up a colour scheme. This will be more Bad Moonish than my Landa, and should include:
1 ? areas were the Great Gargant?s original colours still show
2 ? red primer and grey-coloured areas under construction
3 ? some areas with Nazdakka?s new colours.

?Nuff said ? better get back to building.

:laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sorted Yahoo griefcase out again.
The pics of Deffsta and Grok's Gargant are here

cheers :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All Very good stuff !!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool! Very Orky adding those big guns on the front! Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys!  :D
Next: more structural detail, more scaffolding and stuff, and ideas on Gargant interior decoration.  :o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Sounds like a grade A project!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 26 2003 Nov.,20:10)
Hi!

Sounds like a grade A project!

Primarch

If I keep up the momentum... but here's where Epicomms comes in handy - this sort of posting creates a deadline-effect, so I tend to move on - or at least, in parallel with three  'colour scheme test' models which obviously take a lot of time as I mess about a lot until I get the right scheme: an Epic Ares Guard Rhino, a 40K Legio Fausta Terminator (this chap is an ancestor of the Ares Guard), and a WH Arrer Boy with tiger stripes :-:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Innardz - part 1.
Hi all,
one thing which I don't like about the Mega Gargant model is the open bottom - especially as I'm considering leaving at least one of the rear ramps open. So this should get a palstic card floor. I'll also have to add some details - perhaps some Ork vehicle coming out, or parked inside - but the scale is a trifle inconsistent here, and most ork vehicles look oversized when placed on the ramp. So I'll probably go for a ramp which is almost fully open, with an interior with some pipes and perhaps boxes (ekwipment which still has to be fitted on the Gargant) - and maybe a couple of large gears, to represent some gigantic machinery inside the G. Here's what I could use:
wheelz
check the image called 'wheelz'. These come from a dumped printer I found, except for the orange one which comes from a correcting tape dispenser. I'm once more thinking of 1940s cartoon style machines, or perhaps 1930s art deco engines rusted up to meet orky standards.  :L

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have a box of bits from an old alarm clock for just such emergencies.  I think it would work fine.

BTW, if you can find one of the old lead bikez, they are significantly smaller than the plastic versions.  I think one or two would look good, scale-wise, running down one of the rear ramps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 27 2003 Nov.,15:56)
I have a box of bits from an old alarm clock for just such emergencies. ?I think it would work fine.

BTW, if you can find one of the old lead bikez, they are significantly smaller than the plastic versions. ?I think one or two would look good, scale-wise, running down one of the rear ramps.

Agreed re clockwork - that's another great source.
Re bike - should be good, but the best I can do is a metal Scorcha, slightly too big for my liking.
Thanks Neal Hunt