Login |  Register |  FAQ

Ork Flyboyz

Post subject: Ork Flyboyz
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:04 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I just thought I'd share this idea.

I have been using some BFG frigates as Ork Assault Boats.  They are a bit skimpy size-wise, but I like the look.  They are a similar profile to the Thunderhawk, and generally look like they are a dual-purpose atmosphere/low-orbit sort of vehicle.

OTOH, I dislike the pictures I've seen of the Landa from GDUK.  To me, it looks like a quonsit hut (however it's spelled) with wings.  Orky, maybe, but uninspiring.

I was fiddling with my new Thunderbolts (just got a used copy of Sulfur River), and it occurred to me that the wings are quite hefty, almost disporportionate, and I quickly grabbed the tackle box o' Orks.

It turns out the Tbolt wing will fit on the BFG frigates with a bit of trimming.  It is much more substantial, and the humongous jet engines look like Orky cargo pods at just the point that the frigates look skinny.  The end result is a more substantial profile for the Landa.  It even has the hole for the flying stand in the right place.

As a plus, I will soon have a couple Tbolt fuselages to spare.  They are a little more sleek than the Fighta-bomma plane.  However, they look good next to the version with the pointy nose and the wings from those same figs should fit with a bit of putty.

I wanted a bit of a sleeker appearance for a formation of Evil Sunz FBs (Da Red Baronz), so it seems they will soon be a mix of the pointy-nosed FBs and converted Tbolts.

The best bit is that I had the extra Tbolts, so all I will have to buy is 2 sets of FB wings.

Hope that gets your creative juices flowing.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal,

Cool stuff!

I like your ideas.

How's the E-A forum?

I haven't been by there in awhile.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:02 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Well, there was quite a furor when Jervis came in with a bunch of proposed changes, then announced that Friday, October 3 was the cutoff date.

Needless to say, discussion dropped to nothing some time around Friday afternoon.

On the plus side, he is supposed to post the all-inclusive, to-the-editors version in the vault some time soon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the "flying Quonset Hut" (lived in one in the R.O.K for a little while !). ?I'll buy 1 or 2 ... but that's me ... :laugh:  I'll be interested to see how the E-A Forum works out the closer we get to R-Day (Release of E-A Day) !  :;):

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal,

I have been using some BFG frigates as Ork Assault Boats.  They are a bit skimpy size-wise, but I like the look.  They are a similar profile to the Thunderhawk, and generally look like they are a dual-purpose atmosphere/low-orbit sort of vehicle.
OTOH, I dislike the pictures I've seen of the Landa from GDUK.  To me, it looks like a quonsit hut (however it's spelled) with wings.  Orky, maybe, but uninspiring.
I was fiddling with my new Thunderbolts (just got a used copy of Sulfur River), and it occurred to me that the wings are quite hefty, almost disporportionate, and I quickly grabbed the tackle box o' Orks.
It turns out the Tbolt wing will fit on the BFG frigates with a bit of trimming.  It is much more substantial, and the humongous jet engines look like Orky cargo pods at just the point that the frigates look skinny.  The end result is a more substantial profile for the Landa.  It even has the hole for the flying stand in the right place.
As a plus, I will soon have a couple Tbolt fuselages to spare.  They are a little more sleek than the Fighta-bomma plane.  However, they look good next to the version with the pointy nose and the wings from those same figs should fit with a bit of putty.

Great ideas. I think that Ork BFG models are great fodder.

I used F/B wings with Ork BFG Brute Ramships to make Ork Bommas.

Did you ever see the photos?

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My only problem with using BFG stuff, is the fact my opponents and me play BFG regular.  And i know if I used thed, I'd keep looking at them thinking they were BFG ships.

I'd like to see some pics to see how they actually turn out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:53 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Maksim:  No, I haven't seen them, but that sounds like a great idea.  I'd love to see them when you are done.  As I posted in the Nid thread, I have been distracted by bright, shiny objects.

Also, with respect to the ork stuff, Jervis's latest round of last-minute changes has put me off working on them until I have a better idea of what the final list will look like.  I'm rather tired of re-organizing.

However, the bits are all set aside and ready to go.  I think I'm even going to get away with using the BFG frigate wings as aircraft wings with the Tbolt fuselages.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm glad you keep us informed about the machinations of the E-A Forum, Neal !   Who know what evil lurks within the hearts of the Fanatic Game Designers ?!  :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal,

Maksim: No, I haven't seen them, but that sounds like a great idea. I'd love to see them when you are done. As I posted in the Nid thread, I have been distracted by bright, shiny objects.

Neil, They're done, but not painted yet. I'll have to get you a link to look at them.

I'll have to read the Nid thread as well.

Also, with respect to the Ork stuff, Jervis's latest round of last-minute changes has put me off working on them until I have a better idea of what the final list will look like.  I'm rather tired of re-organizing.

You're not the only one tired of reorganizing. I've done it at least five times!

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've said it before, wait to see what final product is released (E-A), before you re-organize or start buying proxies, if you plan on playing E-A "from the box".  I've been playing Epic since SM1 in '90.  And every iteration of Epic was very different from the other(s) !  Or do what works for you ... :cool: