Login |  Register |  FAQ

Autarchs and Pathfinders

Post subject: Autarchs and Pathfinders
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, after about a year's break from Epic (playing mostly Blood Bowl) I decided to finally get the Eldar army I'd been planning for a while, and ordered some stuff from GW and FW. I'd originally been planning to use the Ulthwé list to stand in for my own craftworld, but I'm not sure I want quite that many guardians and I'm increasingly drawn to Alaitoc instead.

But that leaves me with a couple of units to represent that I hadn't had to think about before. Firstly an Autarch. There doesn't seem to be a proper model for this despite it being in the official Biel-tan army, so I was wondering what people did to represent one. The easy option would be to just point to one of the Exarchs and say "he's actually an Autarch", but that doesn't seem right, somehow. I was thinking about using the winged Exarch model that comes on the Warhost sprue (for actual Exarchs I'm using the metal ones that come with the Avatar), but if anyone else has any better ideas, I'd be keen to hear them.

The other unit are the Alaitoc-specific pathfinders. Does anyone actually play with Alaitoc, and if so how do they represent them? I was thinking about just using rangers but basing them three to a stand on 25mm round bases, with a bit of scenery or something. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use the winged exarchs as Autarchs - and I have a few around my avatar on his base to represent his court.  What I do for exarchs is just paint a single model different than the rest in each unit of aspect warriors.  Course, I'm from the old school where a units exarch wore completely different armor than his fellows - I think it's different now...

I paint my normal scouts in the craft world colors, and the pathfinders in cammo that matches the base's flock to make them blend in more than thier more mundane brothers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (AxelFendersson @ 19 Jan. 2009, 11:06 )

The other unit are the Alaitoc-specific pathfinders. Does anyone actually play with Alaitoc, and if so how do they represent them? I was thinking about just using rangers but basing them three to a stand on 25mm round bases, with a bit of scenery or something. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I use the old "winged" Exarch for my Autarch as well, but you can just "point" to an Exarch in a formation and say, "That's the Autarch"... perhaps paint it differently if you want to make it stand out or add a banner or something.

And "three rangers to a stand" seems to be the standard way people have been designating Alaitoc Pathfinders.

Looking forward to seeing your work-in-progress!

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Use the winged Exarch; however what i do is to cut the wings off and then glue ONE of them back on; pointing straight up and at 90degrees to the models back; make sense? Kind of like the Ravenwing bike 'feathers' from 40k.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Man of kent @ 19 Jan. 2009, 15:28 )

...make sense?

Yeah, I see what you mean. Looking at the model, though, it does look like taking the right wing off without damaging the gun could be quite fiddly. I'm certainly not averse to a bit of converting (my last army was Chaos) but since I'm planning to do one for each aspect (keep my options open), I'm not convinced it'd be worth the extra effort. So I think I'll stick with the model as-is.

Quote: (Chroma @ 19 Jan. 2009, 13:59 )

Looking forward to seeing your work-in-progress!

Well, okay, but be prepared to wait a little while. I'm not always the world's quickest painter, and I've a few other models I'd like to get done before I can properly get stuck in to the Eldar.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What about the infantry that comes with the Avatar?

I tend to just use different basing to designate special things with converted miniatures.

Epic- A version of the game with even smaller models that is often dominated by titans which are vehicles the size of a large building and have the ability to pwn...everything. There is also infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I used one from the Avatar's Court of the Young King.  They look cool and are different enough to distinguish themselves.

I have two Autarchs:

For the Swooping Hawks I used the one from the CotYK.  Very nice piece and easy to distinguish from the winged plastic Exarchs.

For the Shining Spears I glued a little Banshee Sword in one hand for the Exarch and an old Eldar banner on the back of the model for the Autarch.  They were minute conversions that made them stand out nicely.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Mark_Logue @ 20 Jan. 2009 @ 13:28)

What about the infantry that comes with the Avatar?

I've already used those as Exarchs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you are looking to use a distinct/unique figure for your autarch, then this might not be something you'd want to do, but consider simply using the exarch figures for each autarch type you plan on making, but then using other ways of distinguishing the two:

a) mark the stand with a banner, either attached to the model or simply attached to the base

b) use a different type of base for the autarch. Warmaster bases are 20x40mm vs the normal 20x20mm or 12x40mm epic stands, so that would work well.

Doing either of those things would make it clear to everyone involved which stand was the autarch, even from far away.

As for pathfinders, 3 per stand works well, as does painting them in true camo. You could also put the pathfinders on a warmaster base to further differentiate them from normal scouts.

So, here's a question for you: did you do anything to help diffentiate your support weapon platforms from your heavy weapon platforms. The models are just slightly different and I have a hard time picking them out at distance, so I am using warmaster bases for the SWPs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sure about using the Warmaster bases, but adding banners for Autarchs might not be a bad idea.

Quote: (semajnollissor @ 20 Jan. 2009 @ 20:57)

As for pathfinders, 3 per stand works well, as does painting them in true camo. You could also put the pathfinders on a warmaster base to further differentiate them from normal scouts.

Yeah, I was thinking of using 25mm round bases (40k infantry bases essentially) for the pathfinders.

Quote: (semajnollissor @ 20 Jan. 2009 @ 20:57)

So, here's a question for you: did you do anything to help differentiate your support weapon platforms from your heavy weapon platforms?

I haven't got any of either as of yet. I'll have to work out what to do about those when I get some.