Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 129  Next

Vaaish's random army painting log

Post subject: Vaaish's random army painting log
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your marines are just gorgeous, it's hard to believe that they're 6mm. Keep up the good work.  :)

Haarken

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:43 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Lovely work Vaaish!

The detail is astronomical. Love it.
Very inspiring mate.

Steve.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:10 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks! Well I'm going to post a rare in progress shot here for a couple of ideas. I'd hoped to finish these up today, but I still have a bit to go on the bases. What I'm trying to decide is if I should add in the landing gear or leave it off. I'm also trying to figure out if I want the elevators on the tail to be black to kind of draw some interest back there. With any luck these three will be done tomorrow night.

Unfortunately, this means the end of my marine army for the time being unless I attempt to convert a couple of sergeants or simply paint helmets to make them stand out since I'm lacking two to complete the next next tactical detachment. I'm also short enough devastator marines to do their detachment as well so it looks like I'll be moving back to IG and AMTL for the time being.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:14 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Terrific looking t-birds!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those look fantastic!

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

With the experience i'm having with my marines at the moment i'd say leave the elevators.  Either that or i'd do the elevators on the wings too; otherwise it would look out of place.
I'd say landing gear on; as sometimes those birds have got to land!
R>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love your paint jobs.

I would however like to offer a personal view on the Thunderhawk.

Personally I would think that Marines would take better care of the planes they go into combat in. I understand the tanks,yet the plane would either have scorch marks from shots and blasts, or would be a shining and imposing figure entering the combat. To have it with paint coming off or chipped in places with no scorch marks does not appear to sit right.  

If there was an enemy ship that attacked with a metal sponge, then maybe, yet this is not the case from the rules I have seen so far.

Just an observation. Hope it's not taken the wrong way. Like I said, I love the paint jobs on what I have seen so far

Cheers...

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Space Marines themselves don't maintain these beauties it's the poor skives ground crew who do all the cleaning and such.
Now personally it must be a horrible ol' life with hardly any time at all. So, faced with the choice of keeping everything spit-spot and being run ragged or keeping it just in working order to prevent punishment and having a few spare moments to enjoy a cup of synth and a glance at Repentia Weekly... it's a no brainer, really. Let the score marks and aged effect stay say I.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:15 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll leave the elevators alone for now, but I'm still undecided about the landing gear. Mainly because these guys will end up flying most of the time so I think it would look odd to have landing gear down in flight. It does make it a bit more difficult for when they HAVE landed though so I'm undecided about actually adding it in despite it not being overly difficult to do so. I'm tempted to make a separate base with the landing gear glued in place for when they land as an alternate option.

I left them heavily weathered like the raiders because they are old craft that have seen extended years of service and are in the midst of a deployment where it's less likely that the effort would be expended to keep them all perfectly painted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Vaaish @ 24 Nov. 2008, 08:15 )

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll leave the elevators alone for now, but I'm still undecided about the landing gear. Mainly because these guys will end up flying most of the time so I think it would look odd to have landing gear down in flight. It does make it a bit more difficult for when they HAVE landed though so I'm undecided about actually adding it in despite it not being overly difficult to do so. I'm tempted to make a separate base with the landing gear glued in place for when they land as an alternate option.

I left them heavily weathered like the raiders because they are old craft that have seen extended years of service and are in the midst of a deployment where it's less likely that the effort would be expended to keep them all perfectly painted.

They look much more realistic that way too. Wish I had weathered my marines a bit more. As to landing gears, if you have three of them why not model one on the ground having landed? I personally like the gears down. At the altitude of the craft when it is on a flying base it will probably have started its landing sequence by then.

-Malakai

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Good point. Makes more sense to have the gear down than pop it out two seconds before touchdown. While I do have three, all will be in use in my 3500 point list so I sort of need them all to be capable of landing too :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:46 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The thunderhawks are all done and now with proper photos. Apparently my fears were unfounded and from the most seen views the gear isn't even visible. Just have to try to seal these tomorrow and it's on to the IG infantry company. Unfortunately this is where my marines will end for the time being until I either attempt to convert enough missile troopers and sergeants or find someone willing to part with a few loose ones.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really dig those Thunderhawks. I think the landing gear down looks better.

I tried to copy your heavy weathering technique. I must have spent half an hour with my face to the monitor studying it. In the end I just ended up having to give up and repaint them. A lot of thought goes into where paint would chip off. More than just on edges or where one might think. So my hats off to ya, I can't do it.  :sad:

Sucks to hear you're going to be putting the marines on hold for now. I'd hook you up with some loose Devs and Sargs but frankly I need some too! Tell ya what, if I come across someone selling them and they're more than I need I'll see if you wanna split them or something.

-Malakai

"You'll never understand how much watching other people's pain gets me off, hearing their screams and knowing that I have the power of a god." -Velvet Acid Christ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:42 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks! Well, the weathering technique is basically just boltgun on a somewhat splayed brush dabbed into place on areas where paint would chip like leading edges and the edges of hatches. The trick is to make the chipping appropriate to the size of the model. I've posted the full res shots for you to look it might be easier to see than these smaller ones. I'd definitely be interested in splitting if you do come across any more devs!

http://www.digitalequinox.com/wip....awk.zip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:15 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Finished up the second IG infantry company today. Just have to seal them this afternoon... The merge to HDR was a bit rough so I'll have to redo that sometime, but it's good enough for these pics :)

Next up, probably 3 dauntless, one 40k marine with missile launcher... and almost a company of bassies for epic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1935 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 129  Next