Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next

MoK's Painting Blog

Post subject: MoK's Painting Blog
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK, here's a test base of assault marines; what does everyone think?

Looking less like ultramarines without the flash? Could (should?) i do anything to the little 'bumps' on the side of the Jump Packs? Anything that does or doesn't work?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to say Mok but at first I thought they had a crimson cod-piece.  :oops:  I had to look again to see the fists are red too. Perhaps toning down the belt? *shrug*  I do like the swords and the colours used.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here is one of my ancient efforts from long ago. Crimson Fist Assault Marines.

[img]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/Warhead40k/Tyranid%20Swarm/DSC02262.jpg[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hmmm i think the belts are there to stay :p, but looking at your example the 'plain' look isn't too bad either; i'll play around with the idea at the weekend.
I'm trying to get a real old school look to them and so that great big red 'badge' is something that i featured on my 40k stuff as of the striped swords. It's just too much of a detail to miss out!
HOWEVER: what may make up for it is highlighting the 'blob' upwards; currently they are higlighted downwards (why?!?) and perhaps adding a shade to the bottom too; though this may make them too gem like...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No worries MoK just throwing some ideas. Tell me does this make you feel nostalgic. I used this as inspiration for my own Crimson Fists.

EDIT: Or tried to anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:42 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Wow you did the crossing on the chainswords!

Great job. I wouldn't bother with the things on the side of the backpack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No don't think the jetpack bits need doing either now.
Fixed all the links which i inadvertently broke the other day so we're back in business :-)

EDIT: and HELL YES does that cover make me nostalgic; i started wargaming with 2nd ed. 40k and that was the rulebook cover too back then; and EXACTLY what made me go and do Crimson Fists in the first place :-)
I love this place!
R>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Some great mini's, though I agree they should be abit darker (Look abit too Ultramarine right now).

On another note, when you finally get around to them, I think you should definitely call your Ork Warlord 'Mok'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:35 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like these a lot, and whilst I do agree with some of the comments here that they look a bit like Ultramarines, I think it is because of the red, not the blue. They are Crimson Fists after all, not Scarlet Fists.

I think that using a darker red will help. I also think the blue is fine, and that you should consider doing some of the details in black as this will darken the overall look of the model whilst still keeping the blue vibrant.

Finally, I always liked to reflect the Chapters' homeworlds with their bases, so perhaps try a more desert or torn battlefield look instead of green? This will also darken the look of the models without needing to make the colours too dark to make the details out properly.

Just a few suggestions anyway, and I look forward to seeing the rest of your army develop - thanks for sharing :)

Quote: (Warhead @ 08 Mar. 2009, 10:33 )

*...Blinded by awesomeness, Warhead can't see the keyboard to type his overwhelmed feelings of wonder... He hits emergency "too cool" button!...*

+++EMERGENCY! THIS IS TOO COOL! DROPPING RAY SHIELDED BLAST DOORS+++

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:30 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

The small size of models artificially darkens the model to the eye, thus you really need to use lighter colours to get the same effect you would with 40k scale models. For that reason I think it's acceptable to use lighter shades, they look more like they should on the actual table, as well as being more pleasing to the eye generally IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I tend to agree with Markonz as regards the use of lighter colours i'm afraid, bu i do agree with you about the bases; i'm gonna go with a dark grey slate rubble and static grass so will get some pictures of that up in a bit.
Also that 'brightness' tends to be one of my 'signatures' so to speak and so, at least for this army, i'm going to keep it.  For practice sake though i think i will give a darker red a go on something; might be pleasantly suprised!
R>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well; here's what i'm thinking for the basing of the troops, will have to see if basing vehicles works or not; lots of rhinos so i don't think so...

These two pictures are a bit more representative of the actual colour of the marines so I hope they have more of a sense of darkness now.

Also finished all of the Assualt Marines tonight; chose not to detail the shoulder pads otherwise they become a bit too cluttered

I'm telling you; doing those chainswords was a pain in the ass and even now some of them aren't perfect; with luck though this doesn't show in 6mm... :sad:
Yrs,

EDIT: actually the first pictures pretty good but the second two have come out a bit weird...
R>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like your bases Mok, I've never used static grass before. Is it hard to use?
I don't really like basing vehicles personally and it's not just because I'm lazy, I think they just look odd when based, is all.

The two photo's that came out weird... Did you have the flash on? Try taking the photo's a little further back but with the flash on. Then crop the picture down. I think the issue with the blue that people have mentioned is the flash brightening the colour. Would you say they look as bright in reality as they do on the pictures? (In either case I don't think they look anything like Ultra Marines at all).

At least you have gotten the swords done and out the way so the rest should present little trouble... haha. Nice work and please keep it comming.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Man of kent @ 15 Nov. 2008, 15:29 )

I tend to agree with Markonz as regards the use of lighter colours i'm afraid, [...]
Also that 'brightness' tends to be one of my 'signatures' so to speak and so, at least for this army, i'm going to keep it.  For practice sake though i think i will give a darker red a go on something; might be pleasantly suprised!
R>

Oh, I don't mean that you should make all your colours dark or anything, and I do agree that epic looks better in slightly brighter colours than 40k.
I just meant that by fiddling with the complimentary colours and the bases you could achieve a more sombre tone without needing to touch you blue at all. A crimson (use Scab Red, or even maybe give the Blood Red a very light purple wash?) would make them look less like Ultras' scarlet weapons.

I do like you final bases a lot actually, although I think a Bestial Brown edging would suit them better IMHO for same reason as the red/crimson argument above.

Really looking forward to seeing your vehicles!  :;):

Quote: (Warhead @ 08 Mar. 2009, 10:33 )

*...Blinded by awesomeness, Warhead can't see the keyboard to type his overwhelmed feelings of wonder... He hits emergency "too cool" button!...*

+++EMERGENCY! THIS IS TOO COOL! DROPPING RAY SHIELDED BLAST DOORS+++

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Now the blue looks really good :)
And i like you bases too :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next