Login |  Register |  FAQ

Scratch building Thunderhawk

Post subject: Scratch building Thunderhawk
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well due to the fact I want an epic scale Thunderhawk but can't get one at a reasonable price and it is too small for my taste, I am going to build one.  For the most part I will be using plastic card to build the frame but fact some trouble with the engine and landing gears.  ANyone got any ideas?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I have to agree that the recent epic T-hawks, while nice are pretty damn expensive and STILL not the right size.

Any ideas on how big you'll make it?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I say it will be big enough fit a rhino or maybe a landraider AND I will make a hinge to open the front ramp but not the doors, too small.  I am getting a lot of good ideas from this one site who have templates, you want to scale it down:

http://www.ironhands.com/thawk.htm

Of course he made his Thunderhawk in 40k scale and cost him over 200 bucks and a hell of a lot of time.  Anyways like I said, I am making it in epic scale so it will be WAY less than the GW version. mostly out of plastic card, engines from Star wars micro machines, weapons from pistol bolters, laspistol and some plastic rods.  Having a hard time trying to find something to use for the langing gears.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

..Sounds a cool project- for the landing gear, why not just make a small rectangle of plasticard, bend one end upwards slightly, and add a couple of lengths of plastic rod for the leg and hydralics etc...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (stormseer @ 01 2003 Dec.,13:24)
for the landing gear, why not just make a small rectangle of plasticard, bend one end upwards slightly, and add a couple of lengths of plastic rod for the leg and hydralics etc...

Agreeing with Stormseer, another option could be a piece of plastic sprue filed down to make the 'foot' of the Thundab- sorry, the Thunderhawk - a narrow file could be used to work a few grooves to detail the lower surface, and the front upturned bit mentioned by Stormseer is a nice touch - in this case a thick piece of sprue is filed down leaving the front part angled. The 40K new Imperial Guard accessories sprue provides some great sprue.  :p
If the Thunda - Thunderhawk is to sit on its undercrriage, I'd recommend narrow brass tubing for the struts, drilled into the foot and the Thun - derhawk body.
Must make some for Garglanda.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the suggestions, I think making it with plastic rods for the legs and small plastic card as the foot will work or some battletech mini legs, but more likily the former.  

Anyways for updates, I have been trying to make a template for the Thunderhawk but I am torn between the epic version and the FW one so I made BOTH!!! :P  For the most part it is almost set but I am having troubles with the tail fin and the back since I won't get my pod racer micro machines for the engines to be coming in cuz I don't like to use the plastic tubes.  Also I still have to made template on the heavy bolters and hinges.

Does anyone know what to call the top section of the TH called with the battle cannon/turbo laser?  
If anyone want to take to give it a try to make a thunderhawk or check it out to give me pointers, you can e-mail me for the template but its still in its rough draft or until I figure out how to use yahoo briefcase and finals .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Sounds like a hell of a big project, good luck!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules