Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next

NetEA Tournament Pack

Post subject: Re: NetEA Tournament Pack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Somewhere along the way I hosed up the FAQ page and PDF (specifically the order of the Q&A's and the heading numbers). That's been fixed now.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Has the Medusa been nerfed?

It used to be 30 cm MA4+,IC "or" 60 cm 1PA, IC

... but now it's only MA4+

Is it correct?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:21 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, Rug consolidated to the Minervan stats.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I see...

It's really dificult to realize about all the changes and updates of the Tournament Pack, specially since the release of the new web version, becouse they are more frecuent.

Why don't you create a registry of the changes, noted individually, and ordered by dates, so everybody could check them easily and notice about the latest changes in his/her army?

I manage a Spanish version of the pack, currently only in pdf format, and it's really difficult to mantain it updated... I'm only one person!

If someone is interested, you can download it at:
http://www.cargad.com/pdf/EpicManualTorneo.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps it is possible to come up with a suitable versioning scheme that would help. For example, you could maintain the master branch in the "living rulebook" style, i.e. always has the latest lists and fixes like typos, formatting changes etc, but produce a point release (with a changelog) whenever intentional changes to lists are made, i.e. planned changes that affect armies. Theoretically, those releases will actually be fairly infrequent, only happening when a list gets approved or changes to approved lists are accepted. Ideally the changelog would identify the sections that have these "real" changes in them so players know they only really need to re-print the Eldar section for example.

That way, if someone already downloaded version 1.2 and there is no 1.3 yet, they can be sure that:
a) They don't need to download the pack again to get the latest list structure, unit stats etc - there have been no changes of significance.
b) If someone downloads the pack now there won't be any differences that will actually affect your game.

As a variation on the above, you could also do additional point releases (e.g. 1.2.1) in between if there were some significant but still not game-affecting changes (e.g. major fixes). The main thing is that players would know that all of the 1.2.x versions are compatible, i.e. their printed version 1.2.0 is still valid and there's no real need to to download and print 1.2.1 out.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Why don't you create a registry of the changes, noted individually, and ordered by dates, so everybody could check them easily and notice about the latest changes in his/her army?

+1

Like this idea!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Koshi wrote:
Quote:

+1

Like this idea!

There already is, the lift of commits Dave linked to on this very thread:
https://github.com/dsusco/tp.net-armageddon.org/commits

It lists every change.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yep, those are all of them.

As to versioning it, I don't see any gain in doing so. It be a completely arbitrary numbering system that mirrors the date system that's currently being used. With the current scheme the newest PDF will float to the top/bottom depending on how you're sorting your files anyway.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The information is there, it's just in several places.

I can tell a PDF has changed if I save the PDFs I download & print, constantly check the website for changes, and compare the modification times of my files to the dates on the webpage. But that is not a very straightforward process. (As an aside, adding that release date to the filenames and as text inside the files themselves might help with this. As it is, I don't actually know which version of the TP I printed).

However I think it's more a question of knowing what kinds of changes are in there. I still don't know if I really need to download and re-print it. I don't want to print it again for a typo. And that's the reason why I suggest a semantic versioning scheme. If you don't want to introduce a system, adding a "changelog" link next to each list download would make it easier for people to make that decision manually.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:
The information is there, it's just in several places.

I can tell a PDF has changed if I save the PDFs I download & print, constantly check the website for changes, and compare the modification times of my files to the dates on the webpage. But that is not a very straightforward process. (As an aside, adding that release date to the filenames and as text inside the files themselves might help with this. As it is, I don't actually know which version of the TP I printed).

However I think it's more a question of knowing what kinds of changes are in there. I still don't know if I really need to download and re-print it. I don't want to print it again for a typo. And that's the reason why I suggest a semantic versioning scheme. If you don't want to introduce a system, adding a "changelog" link next to each list download would make it easier for people to make that decision manually.

Yes! That will be exactly what I need!

It's nice to be able to notice all the changes by only reading a single text.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:06 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
(As an aside, adding that release date to the filenames and as text inside the files themselves might help with this. As it is, I don't actually know which version of the TP I printed).

? That's exactly what I've done. Every PDF filename is appended with the date, and has the date on the top center of nearly every page (exceptions would be the datasheets and quick ref).

Quote:
If you don't want to introduce a system, adding a "changelog" link next to each list download would make it easier for people to make that decision manually.

The typos are going to taper off, we'll eventually be left with army/faq additions. If someone else want's to maintain a changelog beyond the one from github, that's all them. I'm going to use Overmind's "I'm only one person!" defense there.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
Kyrt wrote:
(As an aside, adding that release date to the filenames and as text inside the files themselves might help with this. As it is, I don't actually know which version of the TP I printed).

? That's exactly what I've done. Every PDF filename is appended with the date, and has the date on the top center of nearly every page (exceptions would be the datasheets and quick ref).
Odd, mine don't. Must have done it way back when. Then I looked at the HTML versions and assumed it was the same. Sorry, ignore me.

Quote:
If you don't want to introduce a system, adding a "changelog" link next to each list download would make it easier for people to make that decision manually.

Quote:
The typos are going to taper off, we'll eventually be left with army/faq additions. If someone else want's to maintain a changelog beyond the one from github, that's all them. I'm going to use Overmind's "I'm only one person!" defense there.
Its a good defense! Only trying to suggest practices that could help, I would hope a lot could be automated, GitHub has some nice features

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
I'm going to use Overmind's "I'm only one person!" defense

HAHAHAHA!

What's wrong with you? Can't you do everything we want while we watch and poke at the monkey cage? :)

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just went through the rulebook - and noticed that in the Space Marine list, Vindicator is marked as a "Walker" in it's special rules. :-X

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes. Vindicators have always had that. It's representative of the giant dozer on the front clearing a path.
Or are you saying that it's missing from the TP in error?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next