Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Net EA schedule.

Post subject: Net EA schedule.
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

delaying sounds like a good plan, but are people just going to be able to put IG lists up and see how they go or does chris want to have a look first so there aren't to many cross overs?

sorry if this has been covered somewere else.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a suggestion, at the start of each month the Champion could ask for variant lists to be submitted to him.

That first hurdle will immediately prove that there is an active sub-champ keeping an eye on the list.

The Champion could then pick ~5-10 variant lists* to be vetted & playtested by everyone over the month, with any lists not making the cut getting tested next time around.

* Some varient lists would be quicker to vet than others, for example IMHO as the 'Mossinian Rebels' army list is basically the Siegemasters list with a few less units (And two new ones) it should be quicker to vet than say, a 'Cadian Strike Force' list.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well a week before the start I'll check the full list of lists is up to date, then encourage each person interested to put up there latest thoughts and revisions by the start of the month, then everyone can go from there.

If there are multiple lists for the same regiment/style see if they can be combined, otherwise they get different regiment names (and campaigns).

As a subset I'll be doing the guide to Imperial vehicles as people try stuff out, which should be ready by EpicA version 3 :)

Note as this includes two lists also covered by the core review could they become different regiments if they get wider ranging changes than the core review allows?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Well, let's call it a done deal then  IG for June.  SMs tentatively delayed until September.  Everything in between moved up.

I'll update the sticky thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there any news on were this process is right now. I've got a bit confused on whats supposed to be happening!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I think we've run into a distinct lack of feedback, actually.

TRC has had limited response on the IG.  I've had almost none on the Orks.  I'm beginning to think there is too much "ooh, that's new and shiny" for pet projects to maintain focus on an extended project like this.  I don't mind driving the process forward as it is, but in the absence of broader feedback that just makes it "Neal's pet EA project" which I don't really want to do.

===

But to answer your question, the nominal situation is...

1)  Tourney mods are done.  We've just been tweaking the final language to make it as clear as possible.

2)  IG updates are pending.

3)  Orks have ~1 more week until they are supposed to be finalizing updates.

4)  Eldar should be working on putting together a list for August playtesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It may just be me but it seems like Summer is a very bad time to get feedback.  Vacations, yardwork, and nice weather are all big distractions to Epic and I seem to recall the activity on the forums dying off last Summer too.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I think the initial plan of a new list each month, while laudable, has proved to be too short a time for most players to a) - notice and b) - play some games and comment on changes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Moscovian @ 24 Jul. 2008, 13:04 )

It may just be me but it seems like Summer is a very bad time to get feedback.  Vacations, yardwork, and nice weather are all big distractions to Epic and I seem to recall the activity on the forums dying off last Summer too.

I'll be the first to admit that these are distractions from Epic for me. As much as I enjoy meeting Dave for games, I'd rather be outside on a nice day than in the basement of Time Machine playing Epic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:16 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I think there is support for this process and just specific problems at the moment - Disruption with the board change - not just the boards being down but the having to search for old stickies and also the summer slowdown in posting/playing.

Ork-wise  i think a lot of the lack of feedback, at least as far as the feral, ork and speedfreek changes, is because the changes have been mooted for ages and are widely accepted.

To help the process I do think that the scope of the individual month (or months) needs to be tightened. Ideally each AC will have prepared the changes to be tested etc. in the build up to the actual month so as to hit the ground running. At the moment, especially with the IG, there were too many lists,proposals etc so unless you were an every day forum reader it was very confusing.

I would limit the months aims to-

Before  - decide what changes are needed to Official list(s) - work out proposal for testing
       - collate list of development lists - judge popularity, balance

Actual Month - Test proposed changes to existing official list
            - Take 1-2 of the most ready and most used development lists and attempt to move them to a balanced state. Stick them as threads - NetEA Priority - moving to NetEA approved or suchlike. For Chaos I would think it would probably be Emperors Children and Thousand sons which fell into this category.
            - Identify 5-6 lists that have a mixture of niche (versus existing lists) activeness and development. Stick threads for them designated something like NetEA Development - and designate them the priority for the coming year. For Chaos I would think something like - Daemons (bringing the variety of iterations under 1 banner), Death Guard, World Eaters, Red Corsairs and maybe an undivided legion variant or LatD variant.
           - Take the remaining lists and Stick them - NetEA experimental, so that people can see them and keep working on them for the longer term.

So at the end of the month or 2 months the process should produce-
- Finished version of the Main list
- Finished version of the 1-2 other most ready lists - or at least moving towards there.
- Stickied threads to keep development moving on other lists either Development or Experimental.
All of these clearly laid out at the top of their respective forum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Steve:  That's almost exactly the plan we laid out.  The only difference is that it's up to the AC as to how many of the variant lists to work with (based on their assessment, how much help they have from Sub-ACs, etc.).

We've just fallen behind as a group.  That's happened for a variety of reasons, but it basically comes down to "New and Shiny Syndrome" in the normal ebb and flow of board discussions.  There have been discussions of AMTL, Blood Angels, several chaos lists (cultist and CSM both), Squat/Deiurg, Tau, and so on.  Each of those side discussions leeches energy for playtesting and discussion of the project lists.

That's not a bad thing.  I don't think anyone around here has a desire to take up the role as playtesting nazi.  We're here to have fun, not be forced to play things because other people say so.  It does, however, mean we don't necessarily progress on schedule and that we should possibly re-evaluate the plan.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I believe most people accept the changes as they are used more or less since a long time.

For me personally I wished that there was a ready to use NetEA-handbook (that my usual opponents would adopt imediately) and I would just give comments/wishes/flames to a thread here. And then you guys would evaluate those collected comments and give the whole thing a work over once a year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I second that.
One rulebook and one army book.
Yearly revision for both and nothing happening inbetween as per updating actual rules etc.

Ie any amount of suggestions and discussions, but no actual change.
Yeah I know, I'm new and haven't shown any appreciateable worth around here.
But I'm still an old gamer and do know something of playing.
And what I don't want... Like a multitude of suggestions that sound (semi!)approved.
I much rather play with a broken rule that gets fixed at the yearly revision than this constant mini-updating that seem to be going on allthe time.

Did that make sense at all?

092b85658e746a91d343e53509d357744e56f641

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (Warphead @ 11 Aug. 2008, 20:39 )

I believe most people accept the changes as they are used more or less since a long time.

For me personally I wished that there was a ready to use NetEA-handbook (that my usual opponents would adopt imediately) and I would just give comments/wishes/flames to a thread here. And then you guys would evaluate those collected comments and give the whole thing a work over once a year.

And I'll third it.

I know I'm late, but I've just come back to playing Epic after a 6-months hiatus, and I must admit that I'm a bit confused: with the SG forums and site down, I think the top priority for the NetEA project should be to issue one "official" rulebook, or at least a list of suggested mods, like you guys did for the tournament army lists.

Markconz did a great job with his Handbook, why not start from here (perhaps taking out the most controversial changes at first)? It would really be helpful to have something concrete rather than try to chase down the 2008 errata (which I couldn't find anywhere, by the way).

I apologize if I sound too critical (and I'm more than willing to help if possible), but I just find it frustrating to be unable to find any kind of rulebook or list of suggestions with the NetEA "stamp" on it. But perhaps I didn't search hard enough?  :p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next