Login |  Register |  FAQ

GW Prices

Post subject: GW Prices
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:27 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Well, the recent price increase in certain areas of Games Workshops range (again!) has caused the predictable revolt - estimated to last about a week.

At this end of the hobby, we are relatively sheltered from price increases - we dont buy as much as often (generally), we realise that there are other manufacturers out there and our games dont generate the mass appeal and so are left alone a little more.

But, I was wondering what people actually thought about this, the latest in a long line of price hikes. Most discussions about this wind up as a long rant, with people strongly divided between 'its a luxury and a business venture' and it is 4 times too expensive.

Personally, I have no idea how GW can actually justify their prices, and I think that they are unreasonable generally. But, they are the best, and I am buying into the mythos and background as much as the actual model (anyone know where else to get 6mm Genestealers?).

I dont think that the market can continue to support these price rises, but the rumour is that GW state that this will be the last one for 5 years. Somehow, I am sceptical...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Are these price rises due for all countries?  I had the impression it was the US only or maybe a couple of others too.  I hadn't heard about it happening in this country, but then I haven't read most of the posts on other sites about it, as they usually end up in long boring rants.

I an a bit miffed by the prices of some items (like wraithguard and other items of a similar size in singular blisters) But there are ways around the actual GW prices.  Various sites and Ebay for example.  If in the UK, check out NU Gaming. And tell Nick that Martin Massey sent you  :;):

His prices are all 10% off list, and free shipping.  He also does some deals in the news section.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was also under the impression that it was a US only thing.

I agree that we are very lucky to be quite sheltered from any serious price hikes because the quantity of minitures we buy is less compared to, say, 40K.

It is because of the high prices that I am slowly falling away from playing 40K and now almost playing only the Fanatic ranges of games, games with which I already have a set of minitures for, and so costs nothing for me to play.

Of course I don't pay full prices anyway, I use my friends status as a GW employee to full advantage and only pay for the weight of the minitures (?0.35 a Guardsman, Yes Please :laugh: )

-BS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that the price increse is only US, but it could sneak into the UK. And it will in the future.

I don't understand it, how does GW charge so much and STILL havee customers. I know that in the last 12 months GW made ?100,000,000 (one hundred million pounds). This is perhaps because of LOTR.

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 10:57 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (Chris @ 17 2003 Jan.,17:17)
I don't understand it, how does GW charge so much and STILL havee customers.

Every time this happens, there is another load of people who state that they will stop buying GW. If that was true, by now there would be about seven customers, paying a huge amount for each mini!  :p

As far as I know, the price rise is limited to the US, and seems to be made in order to fund their expansion and new factory over there. But, just the fact that there is a price rise the other side of the world is reason enough for GW UK to add a percentage to their prices. I am therefore waiting expectantly!