Login |  Register |  FAQ

If GW re-released epic?

Post subject: If GW re-released epic?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know its not going to happen but I thought it might be interesting to see what people's views are....

Id like to see a 30k version set in the Horus Heresy (so going back to the epic roots) Maybe as a boxed set, with lots of 6mm versions of the earlier armour types and vehicles? Or even a nice hardback book, like the forgeworld ones, supported by 6mm metal miniatures.

Like I said, never going to happen...and even if it did it would be prohibitively expensive and probably a limited edition..... Nice to dream though eh?

Steve

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: If GW re-released epic?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would love and loathe that at the same time.

Why?

Because with the slew of beautiful new miniatures this would doubtlessly entail would come a slew of stupid, untested and unbalanced rules, and with the influx of new players would come even more drama and bulls*!t than we already have here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Parintachin wrote:
I would love and loathe that at the same time.

Why?

Because with the slew of beautiful new miniatures this would doubtlessly entail would come a slew of stupid, untested and unbalanced rules, and with the influx of new players would come even more drama and bulls*!t than we already have here.

can't argue with this!! :D

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fair point.

However, what would you guys like to see?

A box set? A cool new rulebook, followed by supplements, ie HH, ork invasions etc, all lavishly illustrated?

Models- metal? plastic? resin?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:51 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Assuming that it wont happen, but if it did it'd only be a stand alone box set: i'd go for either a HH 30k box, or a really nice Armageddon campaign box (full set of characterful and posed minis, templars in robes etc).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

There's a better chance of Little Gray Men landing there flying saucer on the WH lawn for lunch ... And as I have repeatedly said, who needs GW, when there are now a plethora 6mm Sci-fi minis on the market. Not to mention some good rules sets as well ... And even if you still play the various versions of Epic, NetEpic, etc. ... there really is no shortage of minis with eBay and all the 6mm Sci-fi out there ... Many are denizens of this site ... Onslaught, TMG, DRM, Microworld, CinC, Exodus World, PlasmaBlast, Angel Barracks, etc., etc. ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
There's a better chance of Little Gray Men landing there flying saucer on the WH lawn for lunch ... And as I have repeatedly said, who needs GW, when there are now a plethora 6mm Sci-fi minis on the market. Not to mention some good rules sets as well ... And even if you still play the various versions of Epic, NetEpic, etc. ... there really is no shortage of minis with eBay and all the 6mm Sci-fi out there ... Many are denizens of this site ... Onslaught, TMG, DRM, Microworld, CinC, Exodus World, PlasmaBlast, Angel Barracks, etc., etc. ...

I know this....

Just thought it would be a bit of fun to discuss what people would like thats all..... :sos

I have large collections of most of the above, but I would definitely still buy a 30k epic box set... ;D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What I'd like is a range of miniatures and no rules. Never going to happen but you did say dream ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Screw HH 30k. As far as I'm concerned, that is just code for 'Space Marines Only'.

If wishes were horses, I'd like a box set to have 'current' equivalents to the contents of the Epic: Space Marine (2nd Ed) box set, but with the inclusion of chaos models. Throw in a version of the E:A rules (likely with half-assed, meddling revisions) and they could wash their hands of the whole thing if it bombed.

If it did well, there could be a follow up box set with DE, Tau, tyrannids, and Necrons.

If that didn't crash and burn, they could finalize the deal with a war engine box set, similar to the Epic: Titan Legions box set.

Now that I've said that, I'll go back to planning what I'll do once I finally win the lottery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've read a bunch of the Horus Heresy novels now and so have warmed to the lore a fair bit, but am I the only one who things it's a lame setting for a game? Let's face it, it was a way to have a game of red vs blue (same miniatures? paint them differently!). It could have more variety these days, but I still can't get past the inherent boredom of one side of superhuman macho army men in space killing other superhuman army men in space over politics/religion.

Armageddon has been done to death, I'd give someone else a go. Something with Eldar maybe.

I'm going to say something perhaps controversial, I would not want there to be a metal miniature in sight. Don't get me wrong, of the materials we have I actually prefer it to work with and it has a good balance of properties when it comes to detail, cost etc. But lead is absolutely awful stuff to be manufacturing consumer products with. Other industries have worked to eliminate it and miniature manufacturers should do the same. Credit to GW for making the decision to do this. Maybe there is an EU restriction around the corner helping to persuade them, I don't know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+1 who needs them. Actually, I wonder if this constant reiteration of this particular what-if is becoming detrimental. I prefer to think in terms of the protofluff RT "anything goes" way instead of mimicking whatever cost effective 40/30/Whatever K-design whims GW is currently pushing.

On top of that, I find the fluffbooks generally poorly written and boring anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe a game set in the sabbat worlds crusade.... Lots of guard battling the minions of chaos, lots of different guard regiments, with SM support here and there. That would be pretty cool.

Or the Damocles gulf campaign, tau vs an imperial force made up of marines and guard regiments, that would be cool too.

Agree Armageddon has been done to death.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Kyrt wrote:
lead is absolutely awful stuff to be manufacturing consumer products with.

GW metals have not been made of lead for well over a decade. If metals were made they wouldn't have lead in anyway.

(YMMV with recasts of GW metals of course)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They would release it in a different scale just so you would have to buy all new miniatures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If GW ever felt epic again i think it'd be a revamp of Adeptus Titanicus, probably set in the heresy. It should be far removed enough not to eat into their core 40k buying (or at least it wouldn't put a big enlighten dent in the wallet of the nutters who buy forgeworld titans already. :-) ) I can a see stunning set of sculpts for unique characterful titans (like the ships from dreadfleet) with customisable weapon options having enough popularity (unlike dreadfleet) to carry the "limited edition" cash booster they like to release around autumn. With a narrative campaign It'd offer enough variety and interest for a "game in a box" without the need, nor feel limited by not being supported long term.