Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Life outside wargaming

Post subject: Re: Life outside wargaming
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:17 pm 
My not-toy hobbies are reading science fiction, drinking booze, and doing Yen, in sequential order. The last part is my favorite.

My day job is pretending to write software for a networked safe used in many convenience stores and fast fooderies. I say "pretend" because most of my time is spent in sustaining engineering (i.e. customer bug hunts), rather than actually writing new code.

In fact, writing code is just as pleasant to me as 3D design.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Project Manager for Mobile Service Assurance in Australia's largest telco, Telstra.
Been with this company for 14 years, so have been enjoying the benefits of LSL with two trips to Europe (09 and 12).
In my downtime, I
*play board games (Battletech, Memoir 44, Axis and Allies, Talisman, Descent, numerous others)
*play pen'n'paper RPG's (D&D, Savage Worlds, Deadlands)
*play console and PC games (currently retrying ME3 with the DLC, Witcher 2, MW Online, going through the old school Black Isle RPG's)
*read generally sci fi books (Neal Asher, Peter Hamilton, old school classics like Dick, Bester, Orwell, Bradbury) and the odd military history (mainly WW1 and WW2 naval history plus Ancient history)
*have fun with my fiancé and all that entails ::) 8)

Buying a house within the next 2 years, tack on a wedding in the same time period and also my fiancé wants to live in another country for a year/two just after this time frame... So, it's going to be an exhausting, expensive and very busy period of my life...

Tee

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:11 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I just sold a pair of original 40K plastic Tyranids on eBay.... so 'professional mini painter' is so going on my CV!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fascinating thread. I stumble back here to catch up on 15 pages of "new posts" to find this gem. Awesome.

I build tech companies for a living. After a few tech startups of my own, I now run a company that very hands-on builds new companies around inventions by functioning as a unique mix of talent agency, technology scout, incubator and investor. We focus on tech in displays, video, audio and other such stuff. More or less all the goodies you could buy at Best Buy or the software that runs on them (my PhD was in Physics, EE and CompSci so I the real domain definition is "stuff I understand" ;) ). Beyond that, three wonderful kids and wife.

Add all this up and you won't get much left for the hobby. And what little there is available, currently is sucked into the gigantic black hole that is "I will airbrush batch paint a 40k Blood Angels army". What a dumb idea... After months of pain I now have 20 yellow helmet, 20 blue helmets, 50 red helmets, 20 bare heads, probably a hundred jump and back packs, 100+ bases, dozens of arms and all sorts of other assorted pieces ready but not a single model completed (and hence not a single photo on the blog or anywhere else). Meh - it's only perverse stubbornness that keeps me going. :nooo

Of course, painting (even batch painting) is as close as I get to the hobby these days in any case. Lack of time and opponents meant that I haven't seen a game in years (though I was an avid GT player in the first half of the last decade). I am *very* predisposed to bringing hobby related folks into my professional circle so if any of you want to start a tech company or work at one, ping me :)

cheers
Helge

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Helge wrote:
I am *very* predisposed to bringing hobby related folks into my professional circle so if any of you want to start a tech company or work at one, ping me :)

cheers
Helge

hah! found you! http://www.tandemlaunchtech.com/#home

I'm an analytics guy (and copy writer) for www.misfitwearables.com, but I might be moving on shortly. Always looking to make contact with guys I can actually talk to outside of work! @patbrry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

madd0ct0r wrote:
I'm an analytics guy (and copy writer) for http://www.misfitwearables.com, but I might be moving on shortly. Always looking to make contact with guys I can actually talk to outside of work! @patbrry

Get whoever made those 'info graphics' under inspiration a copy of one of Tufte's books (preferably the first one), please. I'm not even that keen on him, but this is a serious case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

pm sent so as to not completely derail thread.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I work in bioinformatics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioinformatics). For me that originally meant actual software development, which I love, but these days I am not so hands on and am more involved in running projects and stuff related to more high level planning. So basically attending meetings, reading and writing emails.

Sad as it is, a lot of my interests are not so far removed from my profession - I am a bit of a tech fiend. I dedicate too much of my precious time to reading about (and writing hacky software for) various aspects of home entertainment tech, video etc. I tend to get interested in anything related to technology, and feel compelled to find out how it works. Besides this and a small amount of wargaming, which is entirely dedicated to Epic, I spend much of my time chasing after my nearly-2-year-old son.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well doesn't this thread make my job seem just a tad dull. :D Store Officer for a university is my role.
I play MMOs a fair bit (mainly World of Tanks and LoTRO). I read fantasy/scifi on the odd occasion and do a bit of painting minis when I'm not doing that. recently Ive started collecting the DC comics Green Lantern series so a lot of reading has been on those. I like to check out the flicks at the movies every now and then. I have a 3 year old daughter who also keeps me busy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Well doesn't this thread make my job seem just a tad dull. :D Store Officer for a university is my role.

Cybershadow BUILDS FRACKIN' ROBOTS! Everybody else dulls in comparison.*

*Unless somebody out there is making a robot that run on beer and look like some blonde hottie.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Moscovian wrote:
Cybershadow BUILDS FRACKIN' ROBOTS! Everybody else dulls in comparison.*

*Unless somebody out there is making a robot that run on beer and look like some blonde hottie.

:D I do a hell of a lot less building these days than I used to, although I am attepting to rectify that. I am pretty impressed generally with the calibur of people here (or, at least, posting in this thread) to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed. Epic does attract a rather well educated crowd it seems!

And me of course.... but a few smaller plebeians will always creep through the cracks ;)

Really interesting thread!

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

outside toy solders i am a bricklayer (that's two of us tuffskull) i spend my free time practicing akido & playing golf both frustratingly badly. reading fantasy, scifi books & experimenting at making my own booze from stuff from my garden/misses allotment(i do a nice cider & decent elderberry port) i am slowly trying to restore a old 1967 wolseley. i also have a wife two children (girls 4 & 13) one cat & 4 chickens

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In regard to other miniatures, I have some Battletech miniatures which still hold a fond place in my heart, and have a small collection of Heavy Gear miniatures (both in their normal scale and in their equivalent of Epic, which I am revamping the rules for). On a good day, I can remember the rules for one of them AND for Epic. :P

Beyond miniatures, I read a lot (some history and fantasy and a fair amount of science fiction) and play computer games now and again (mostly strategy and RPGs). We'll be moving to the north of Canada in a few months, and I'm thinking of taking up (indoor) gardening while I'm up there.

At the moment I'm a law student, going into my third year of law school. I've been doing pretty well (I've even gotten to do a few trials), and will be articling as a student with legal aid in northern Manitoba. It should be interesting, even if the average yearly temperature is below zero.

Other than that, I have a lovely fiancee (whom I'm marrying in October) and two moderately adorable cats.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, to sum up, I don't have a life. :geek There, I said it.

I like to read but definitely not the classics. For me it's Black Library, a couple of magazines, the odd book about some subject that catches my interest for a while and war history. Although the last category seems to diminish at an accelerating rate these years as I have less and less of energy to do anything that requires applying myself. Oh, and gaming books & RPG adventures if they count.

I am a lazy painter as I don't like to spend hours doing a single mini. If I did that I would never get to game. Besides wargames I like RPGs.

I like to play with words, twist the meaning of sentences and terms with subtle changes and tell bad puns and jokes.

I was unhappily married for way too long and am, at present, divorced and all things considered very likely to stay single. I have three children aged 14, 12 and 7. The oldest (a daughter) just decided she wants as little to do with me, myself and I as possible.

I graduated from university and am, in theory, and experienced software engineer but the reality is unfortunately far less flattering. At present I have been in a temp job since last May and have no idea whether it will continue beyond the end of April.

I like cartoons like classic Roadrunner, Pink Panther, Scooby Doo, G1 Transformers, Clone Wars, Zoids and so on. But the greatest cartoon of all time for me is Phineas and Ferb. I love it. Jeff marsh & Dan Povenmire are my heroes.

I would like to draw but I lack talent, creativity and, more importantly, the preserverance to practice.

I listen to many kinds of music from classical to pop, digital, punk, heavy metal and a few odd things like "Alamaailman Vasarat", a Finnish band I bet none of you has ever heard about. Oh, and definitely some Blues as well.

My greatest achievements in life are writing a few articles for Incoming!, the original SoB armylist for NetEpic and co-authoring the Finnish armylists for Flames of War. So as you can see I really have not done much.

I don't like sports and can't understand the people who get their endorphin rushes from torturing themselves like that. :D And no, I don't even like to watch sports.

At the tender age of 40 I still have no idea what I want to do when I grow up. I am a very contradictory personality which makes it difficult for me to actually belong anywhere. I have very nerdy hobbies but lack the tech savvy and intellect usually attributed to them. I would like to learn several things but am way too comfort loving and lazy to actually push myself to achieve those things. I'm a perfectionist yet like to cut corners whenever I can get away with it. Yet still I have a strong sense of duty. Combine all this with a self-esteem and -confidence blasted to atoms, sarcastic demeanor, cynical-depressive streak several miles wide plus a tendency to whine about how pitiful I am and you get the idea why I don't have many friends. 9,5 out of 10 people would label me a loser. I'd very much like to win several millions in a lottery so I could have the rest of my life as free time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next