Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kindle VS Nook

Post subject: Re: Kindle VS Nook
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have you been to BL digital recently?
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital?fil ... er_value=1

And I think the nook may be USA only, which may explain why few of us have seen one!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mephiston wrote:
Have you been to BL digital recently?
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Digital?fil ... er_value=1

And I think the nook may be USA only, which may explain why few of us have seen one!

I think your right about the Nook. Its a Barnes and Noble product.

I saw BL, its has some now but I wish everything or at least more was up already...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I hear people like the nook, as it is color. Also, for those of you who like modding and such, the Nook is easy for people if they want to hack it, as it uses the android OS and, when powered up, reads from a memory card first. (or so I'm told)

That is not part of my skill set, but for others out there, it is a nice feature/exploitation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

silentbob27 wrote:
I hear people like the nook, as it is color. Also, for those of you who like modding and such, the Nook is easy for people if they want to hack it, as it uses the android OS and, when powered up, reads from a memory card first. (or so I'm told)

That is not part of my skill set, but for others out there, it is a nice feature/exploitation.

As far as I know it has *a* color screen, but the e-ink screen (the one you use for reading) is the same black and white screen the Kindle, sony and most other e-readers use. The Kindle 3 might have a later version.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I got a Sony reader for christmas.
Didnt particularly want a kindle. I'm too much of a luddite to understand or care about features like 3g, wireless etc and I didnt want to be restricted to a single format which I think the kindle is.
The Sony is nice and compact, and easily fits into coat pocket.
Have only bought a few books so far but have down loaded dozens of freebies of sites like gutenberg press and others. Black library seem to be downloading more of their books every month so I might start getting electronic copies of those ones I dont want to bother having a hard copy of.
Wasnt sure I would like an electronic book reader, but I have been won over. It is great for travelling and will hold a whole library of stuff you can browse through

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hengest wrote:
didnt want to be restricted to a single format which I think the kindle is.

Honestly curious, but how many *drm*'ed formats does the sony support? The Kindle only accepts DRM files from Amazon of course, which limits it to a single store (which is a bit bad). It's my main gripe with the Kindle. But it does read enough other formats (pdf, rtf etc) that as long as it's no DRM on the file, I have no problem.

I'm hoping the book business learns from the music business soon and drops DRM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Um. According to the manual epub, pdf, bbeb,text,rtf, word. plus jpeg, gif, png , bmp apparently. It also says mp3 but I dont know how audio could work on it.
I think some stores do e books in the kindle format as well as epub - I'm sure you can get the black library books for use on a kindle. I havent looked at the amazon sites. Just trawled waterstones, wh smiths black library and what ever other options the reader links me to when I plug it in. I'm still trawling through the freebies at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Check out Baen books (www.webscription.net) if you like sci-fi, they got a pretty big selection of free books AND they sell their books dirt cheap ($6 for everything except advanced reader copies (ARC)).

Black Library works on the Kindle afaik. I also have Calibre to convert most other text formats to .mobi if I need to, as long as there's no DRM on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep been there
got the honor harrington series and a few others off that website. Its pretty good

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The sony readers have a headphone jack. I've got a Sony 600 touchscreen model myself and I really like how it works for me. It has a decent in system storage and then has two slots for memory cards. Like the kindle though it does like to choke on graphics intensive pdfs.

The one thing to mention about the Color Nook (note that there is also an older black and white e-ink only version) is that it's actually a basic Android tablet that's got it's firmware designed to autoboot to the Nook app.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Do you think that breaking up the Raiders 2.0 pdf file would help it move faster for the Kindle? Just curious.

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be honest from my little experience with pdf on kindle I think they probably need to be formatted specifically for the kindle to work, especially ones that are pretty graphic heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The optimizer somebody linked earlier in the thread worked like a charm on the rulebook. Reduced the time it takes to load a page to about a third of the time the full pdf takes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Angel,

I bought my wife a Nook this past Xmas. She loves it. Easy to use, easy on the eyes......absolutely no complaints. Let me know if you have any specific questions about it. My wife wanted the black and white version over the color version. Saved me $100 and she doesn't miss the color. She's not an internet person and so only uses it to read.

Huge library to choose from and you can rent books from libraries with it as well.