Login |  Register |  FAQ

Man o'war

Post subject: Man o'war
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You missed them by a narrow margin... a couple months ago there was a sale of old Mighty Empires metal pieces in the GW US online store grouped together and sold, if memory serves, as a Warmaster scenery pack.

On the plus side, this probably means the moulds are still functional....

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ya know, I'm sure there was something about that Warhamster pack in the UK as well. Can't see it on the GW Uk site or in Fanatic 9 or 10, but i know i saw it at some point, went "cool!", and forgot about it again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a HUGE fan of Man O' War, and think it's Games Workshop's best game ever. I've got a ton of info for it on my site if you are interested, and are posting more in the upcoming weeks.

Man O' War would never be released in it's original format because the first time it was released, it didn't make a lot of $$$. The basic fleet is normally 1000 points, and if you were to play the Empire for example, that would include a Man O War, three ships of the line squadrons, a wizard (which you don't use a mini for), and maybe a monster or Griffon squadron. The point is, you don't need many miniatures and GW doesn't make a lot off the box sets, it's the minis.

Because I have everything, I don't care if it is ever re-released or not. I know that if it were, it would be released under a new ruleset, because the original used way way too many counters and templates, and that is something GW has tried to get away from over the last few years. I don't think I would be interested in a new version either, as I think nothing could replace the character of the original. It is truly a great game.

Besides, the second best sea wargame is Pirates of the Spanish Main. I haven't even looked at Man O' War lately cause all my time has been spent playing Pirates. Super quick to set up, easy to play, and very very customizable. Collectable games can be a pain in the ass, but I really love Pirates. . . ?

So if you can't get Man O' War, try out Priates of the Spanish Main and Crimson Coast. . .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, I've tried both, and I think that they are completely different. At that point there are many naval wargames around like for instance NavWar with good and relatively cheap metal miniatures.
But I still like Mano'war for the fantasy theme...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Gandalf the Grey @ 29 2005 Mar.,04:48)
Because I have everything, I don't care if it is ever re-released or not. I know that if it were, it would be released under a new ruleset, because the original used way way too many counters and templates, and that is something GW has tried to get away from over the last few years.

That was something that crossed my mind a few days ago. There were a couple of things I didn't like about M'o'W, like the need for a template for everything, and things like the points costs of some of the fleets (1000 points: Hellship, 3 War Galleys, 50 point monster, 24 Hellrammers...), so it'd be an interesting long term project to start on a rewrite. It's about time I had a go at writing some sort of game of my own.

So if you can't get Man O' War, try out Priates of the Spanish Main and Crimson Coast. . .

And that was a question I was gonna ask. After going for a rummage round t'interweb and looking for anything i can try out and see what mechanics to steal.

Man o War ship alternatives?:
http://www.peterpig.demon.co.uk/range18.htm

These are two Small Merchant Square Riggers I used and abused for a HOTT fleet.
Ghostship Airboat on a 40mm x 80mm base.
Shipwreck Stronghold on a 160mm x 80mm base.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don’t know if it is any help to you guys but “Two hour Wargames” produced a set of Fantasy Naval Rules called “Warring Fleets” in 2002.

I believe they are now out if print (certainly here in the UK as I got Amazon Miniatures last copy last week!), but they still available in PDF format from the designer’s web page for about $9.00, the link for which is…

http://www.angelfire.com/az3....et.html

As it says on the tin, the wargame is supposed to be done and dusted in two hours so combat is resolved through a fairly ruthless Reaction Test system. Depending on die rolls this allows a vessel to carry out an action, be forced to “turn away” or worst of all “break off “ and run away from the battle full stop. This pretty much takes over in the game, so they are useful for solo play.

Their designed for fantasy, but are based on galley combat, there aren’t any rules for  sail or steam, but I guess you could make your own. Also if you leave out the magic rules you could use them for historical ancient galley warfare.

I haven’t had a chance to play test mine in detail yet, but you can find a battle report / review of the rules here…

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10360.phtml

The designer also does a set of fantasy land warfare rules called Warrior Heroes for mass combat, with a more detailed reaction test system for movement and combat, (which I’m thinking of modding for solo play in Epic A and Gothic) and skirmish rules called Mayhem – Warrior Heroes. All are available in PDF from the website above.

Gaunt’s Ghost.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

Is this what you were on about a page or so back? The Warmaster sized necropolis thingy?

HERE

If not, nevermind. :P

Cheers,
Freshmetal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Woo. You beauty. I've already got the necropolis and pirates from first time round, but always intended getting the rest.

More ships. Enemy in Sight card game (not CCG, just one set to play with). Played this a few times at my old club, and it's good stuff blowing each other to bits:
http://members.aol.com/wergames/ahenemy.htm
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/264

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wessex Games has a set of Fantasy naval rules called "Strange Tydes". See the homepage for more info.

Demonworld makes some ships, although IMO only the Empire and Dwarf ships are worth buying. Pics here.