Login |  Register |  FAQ

Mech Warrior

Post subject: Mech Warrior
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I dont know if anyone knows anything about this, but its a very interesting game.

Its reasonably similar to epic (infantry stands, vehicles, large fighting Mechs) but a larger scale.  I know it used to have a previous version, but I'm talking of the darkage edition released by wizkids.

www.wizkids.com is the website.  It has various games (heroclix etc) but also has the catalogue for the units, very handy.

Its a useful game, as you only need 3 dice, is easy to pick up let still challenging, and the minis are ready painted.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi again ShadowHunter, been away for quite a while.... :-:

Mechwarrior is quite interesting, it has been around for a while, and I quite like the look of the new version- pretty much the only things that put me off are that I enjoy painting and the minis are all pre-painted IIRC.... :L  For lazy peoples.. :D

I like the history for the game, even if it does get rather political at points, and of course, you have to love the Mechs....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The background to games is quite a large portion of the fun for me, and you're right, it is a reasonble one.  It does get confusing aswell for newbies.  And very political!

They are prepainted, but I've seen the results of people who have painted over them, and it works well.

I have more than enough painting and modelling to do with GW stuff, so its a nice break from it for me.

On the same topic(ish), my girlfriend is going out today and buying me the starter set for heroclix.  We had a game the weekend at a friends, and she actually enjoyed it.  :o   Which means I have finally found a starting point for her in wargames.  Soon I shall have her exactly where I want her.   :angry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think she has You just where She wants ...  :laugh:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any collectable game that has random booster packs is a bad one in my opinion.

Ultimately, it means that a large part of the game is either the luck of the draw or trying to trade to get the peices you want. Many tournaments are based upon buying a few random boosters and hoping for the best. Unfortunately, many guys get pieces that don't work well together.

No thanks!

Clix games are very ingenious and are good for getting people into the hobby or for relatively mindless goodnatured fun, but...

They just don't feel much like wargaming or miniatures to me.

They seem much more like toys for non-wargamers.

Also, part of the Hobby is painting, preparing, and converting our models. I have yet to see a Clix gamer modify or paint a figure to his personal tastes. One of my favorite things about Epic is modifying / customizing and scratch-building figures I don't have. Big loss in my book.

The infantry and vehicles are scaled a little big (10mm or N-scale) for Epic. Having said that, the battlesuits generally look really good as Epic Dreadnoughts. I have a friend that sells me his extras for about a quarter a piece. I have a small pile to rebase as Epic dreadnoughts somewhere down the line on my project schedule.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I'm with Maksim on this one (what a shock! }:) ).

I generally dislike card games and once I caught whiff that this was a collectable minis game I shunned it like the plague. I do however use classic battletech minis extensively. Their mechs are my Slann/Necron proxies and their battlearmor infantry for the Necron battlesuits for netepic. Nice models and proxies, now available from:

www.ironwind.com

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd never really considered sing the battlesuits etc for conversions.  I'll have a look at that.

The reason I like it, is because it is a simple game, and requires virtually no effort to set up.  I bought some packs, thinking my girlfriend may take it up, as its easier to get into, but it didn't work.  Heroclix did, however, so there's still time.

I dont mind the whole non painting converting aspect of it all, for the simple reason that I have so much of that to do with my various 40K armies, fantasy armies, BFG fleets and Epic armies.  This ie more than enough to keep me going.

The way I see the game (hero Clix, Mechwarrior:DA, Mage Knight etc) is as a travel game.  Something easily transported (they dont break or scratch each other easily) and you dont need many items for a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, I have to agree Maksim and Primarch- the "CCG" style of the games, with booster packs and stuff does make them difficult to like....
I can see you points though Shadow, about the simplicity of the games, but for me they still don't really stand up when compared to Epic, BFG or Warhammer..... :-:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No, they will never take over from the hold that GW have over me either.  Which is why, when I am able to get online, I come to these forums, and not the forums of wizkidz.

One good thing does come from the random boosters.  If you happen to get a unique item, you can sell it on Ebay for a fortune  :laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On the same topic(ish), my girlfriend is going out today and buying me the starter set for heroclix.  We had a game the weekend at a friends, and she actually enjoyed it.     Which means I have finally found a starting point for her in wargames.  Soon I shall have her exactly where I want her.    

This is SO wrong. How the heck do some of you manage to brainwash female specimens enough to get them to play wargames????!!!! Last time I talked about the subject with my better half it was about me having too many games. :{

There is _no_ such thing as too many games. :angry:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I t has taken many days of persuasion (more like years).

Everyday, I'll ask her if she fancies a game.  She always says no (usually uses bad language).

She liked the fact that, with hero clix, she knows who they are and what they do.  Unlike with GW's universe.  I dont honestly see her going onto other things, but I'll try my damndist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

From a pratical business point of view. These "collectable" mini games are good business since they offer a quick, easy and fun investment for the casual gamer. More importantly they can attract non-gamers most easily and thus represent a good amount of impulse buying.

But like other cad games, they seem very "faddish" and I am not yet sure if they have lasting market appeal.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules