Login |  Register |  FAQ

WFB, Skaven list.

Post subject: WFB, Skaven list.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Greetings manthings (oops, my Skaven side coming out :l   )

I'm thinking of entering the conflict tourny in Bristol in June (the one advertised in WD.)  I'll include my first draft of a list below.  But I wondered if anyone went to last years.  I'm just after advice/help on the way the tourny is run.  I've not yet entered an official tourny, so am not aware of what goes on.

Heres my list (rough)

Chieftain- Heavy armour, Great Weapon = 53
Warlock- Blades,pistol,condenser,daemon,scroll = 130
BSB- banner of the swarm = 94

30 clanrats, full command + RG = 235
30 spearrats, fullcommand + RG = 265
20 StormVermin, Full Command, umbranner + WFT = 295
20 Slaves + musician = 44
3 Giant rat packs = 90

2 Rat Ogres = 100
4 tunnellers poisoned weapons = 68

WLC = 100            

TOTAL = 1474
Models in army = 136

I'm pretty sure I should outnumber most opponents, as I should.  My only concerns are magic.  Should I bother with the daemon, or am I unlikely to get it off.  Would two scrolls be better?

My last questions are anout the way the tourny is run.  Anyone know anything about the rules for composition etc (though I think mines a pretty balanceed list.)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, in preperation for the tourny, I'm playing a campaign at the local GW store.  Its a boarder princes style (from the back of the rulebook).

I've won my first game against those stunted manthings (dwarfs) And gained two territories.  The first was a river which allows me an extra 25pts (on top of the road I started with lets me have a total of 1050pts in the 1000pt campaign.)

The second was a magic item.  I was allowed to pick any 1 magic item up to the value of 150pts!!!  Unfortuantly for me the dearest item in the Skaven army book is 85pts (the fellblade) and thats too risky to give to a chieftain (roll a dice at the start of your go, on a 1-2 he takes a wound with no armour saves allowed - he only starts with 2 wounds).  So I took a magic banner.  

Here's the list I'm gonna use tonight if anyones interested.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Boarder Princes (1050pts)

Chieftan (general) - Heavy armour, great weapon = 53pts
BSB - Heavy armour, Sacred Standard Of The Horned Rat (I get this item free!) = 74

20 Slaves - Musician = 44pts
29 Clan rats - Full command, RG = 230pts
21 Storm Vermin - Full command, WFT, war banner = 293pts
3x Giant rat pack - 18 rats 3 packmasters = 90pts
Poison wind globadiers - x3 = 30pts
Tunnelling team - x5, poison weapons = 85pts
Rat Ogre - 50pts
WLC - 100pts

Total = 1049pts

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 9:50 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Dont you find that this lacks commanders to keep the troops in check? I know that Skaven should run away a lot, but with a single character and no magic I would think that you would havea few problems. How did it go?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have the 2 characters, a chieftain and Battle Standard Bearer (BSB) which is basically another chieftain.

With full ranks, the Skaven had a leadership of 9, which is pretty good.

The game was very, very close.  I won in the very last turn.

I was playing a shooty High Elf army.  He also had a level two wizard (which really caused me trouble).  I had to get across the table (he never moved most of the game) and on the way I was shot by 10 archers 2 Bolt throwers, and 16 Sea guard.  Aswell as a mage with fury of Khaine and flames of the pheonix!!!

Suffice to say I lost a cr*p load of rats before I got within charge range.  My WLC and WFT succeeded in killing a load of my slaves.  My Rg shot his wizard, and the tunnellers took out a bolt thrower (before they were flamed by his wizard).

What won me the game was my storm vermin held against a charge from silver helms and a prince, won th combat, and as I caused fear and outnumbered ran them down.  This got me about 200+VP for the silver helms, 150+VP for the prince, 100VP for his pure of heart rule and 100VP for his banner.  Which was a lot for a 1000ish point game (he actully had 1175pts to my 1050.)

Lessons learned?  I need a wizard!!!