Login |  Register |  FAQ

OLD SCHOOL TERMINATORS REVAMP

Post subject: OLD SCHOOL TERMINATORS REVAMP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys,
It has been a very very long time since i have picked up 28mm mini, It was only epic that has got me back into minatures after a long break, Well with my space wreck project going on in epic scale, I have a great intrest in terminators as i feel they are the best minatures in 40k.

Having a look on flea bay and found the new terminators from space hulk, stupid money and so detailed that they really dont need and converting :-X And as its the conversions that i enjoy about painting and minature modeling they where ruled out!

Next was the new style terminators from GW, I like these as they are bulky but prices again are not what im going to pay for plastic minatures to cut up. Also the old style plastic minatures where cheap but two plain,

So i found the old style metal terminators, found an overpainted set £5.50 for five terminators ;D overpainted but after some Mr muscle foam oven cleaner they came out pretty tidy! The detail on these is great they already had purity seals, etc.
The main problem was the arms as once they are glued on they make the minature look thin, so with some superglue, green stuff and some added eye targeter,also the chaplain looked a bit to like chaos as he was the very old stlye one, so with an old GW skeleton hoard head he is now a bit more tidy, Also bulked out the arms and greenstuffed the gaps to make the chaps have a better wider stance! I have enjoyed doing these and look forward to painting them blood angels colour scheme, Also cut the slots of the bottom and just glued to a 25mm square base, Anyway here are some pictures
Regards epic P.S also forgot to add i chopped chunks out the armour on legs, body and some eyes to create damage ;D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: OLD SCHOOL TERMINATORS REVAMP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice. Loving the old school look.

On the subject of the models themselves - I much prefer the older metals to the new plastics. The new terminators look so odd - their legs are splayed to far apart and it just doesn't look natural. Nobody can stand like that with their legs that far apart comfortably!

More of a current misconception which seems to be that every army in Rogue Trader consisted of 2 squats with toughness 15 force fields and homing autodestructive 50" blast vortex missiles on jetboards...

My (rarely) updated hobby blog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really great job - and very inspiring to do similar as have a load of these old style termies... with wolf cloaks and bits will make nice wolf guard. One thing I notice is the heads - you have them at angles bring real movement to these guys - do they come like that? Always remeber a very static forward looking pose - so did you do anything to the heads?

Over all a great job and cant wait to see these painted!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:30 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

zedmeister wrote:

On the subject of the models themselves - I much prefer the older metals to the new plastics. The new terminators look so odd - their legs are splayed to far apart and it just doesn't look natural. Nobody can stand like that with their legs that far apart comfortably!

Me too. The new models look too dynamic for my taste, but the older ones are just so expensive to build a whole squad or two of. (Even with the older shoulder pads being on their ears!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

CyberShadow wrote:
zedmeister wrote:

Me too. The new models look too dynamic for my taste, but the older ones are just so expensive to build a whole squad or two of. (Even with the older shoulder pads being on their ears!)

Hi Guys cheers for the comments, yes one head did get moved it was the terminator that i put the greenstuff eye targeter on, just cut it down to trial it, However i did it with a craft knife at it was bloody hard to cut through! At the risk of sore fingers and nearly cutting one of my didgits off im going to have to find another way off cutting them off!

Regards epic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:20 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Get a razor saw. The GW ones are suprisingly high quality. Don't try cutting brass or aluminum with razor saws though, the teeth break off. Soft metal only.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys, Finally got round to putting some paint on one of these minatures, could of painted a companys worth of epic marines by the time i had finished this, Not sure if i should of base coated black rather than white as blood red looked really light, but with the help of some thick washes it all came out ok, Also purchased some bases for these chaps they are resin and look a bit better, also the small old GW ones the minatures kept toppling over, ok when they are in primer but not so good when painted ???

Anyway heres a pic of one of the finished terminators, think i will do the chaplain next!

p.s spectrar ghost cheers for the tip on the craft saw think i purchase one of those much cheaper than loosing a finger!

Regards epic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well got round to doing the chaplin, heres a few pics.
Hopefully will get a few more done soon, Got some epic on the bench that takes priority ;) ;)

Regards epic

Last edited by epic on Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys managed to score some more cheap terminators, Including the old style captain and librarian ;) Have also been experimenting with basing, mainly due the fact that the old terminator minatures tend to lean forward hence hiding the facial features and a lot of the detailed areas of the minature, so i have put skulls,rocks etc under the feet to make them into an upright stace.

Also added a terminator helmet to the captains waist as i feel it adds a bit to the minature and after all what good soldier does not carry his kit on his belt kit!

19 terminators so far off which only 4 are painted :(

Regards epic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,
Some more conversions this time but with a twist, I had wanted for ages to convert some real old school 1st edition space hulk terminators, They have the old armour and have a decent look about them, However for those of you who have seen or been lucky enough to own a boxed set ( never had the game myself ) they are plastic injected and only in one pose,

The pistols where basic and the casting had no back i.e no vents so it was as if the terminator had no insides! However the breast plate and armour and large round shoulder pads and the helmet was enough to make me try out converting some, i used some old plastic mk2 weapons, some scout heads for the captain and sergent and some green stuff to do the vents and to fill holes as these chaps are hollow when you cut them open! Also moved arms etc to add a bit charector. Enjoy the pics.

Regards epic, will get some pics up when they are painted!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Guys some more updates on the old terminators, have only done five so far only five more to go! Well after adding human heads to make a captain etc, I found i wanted something in between, So set about cutting up the terminator helmet and inserted another human head, Basically half and half but its recessed so it looks pretty good i think, The shoulder pad is heavly damaged aswell to make it look like he has taken a real hard hit from the right hand side