Login |  Register |  FAQ

Board Ideas - Reversible Boards and Other Ideas -

Post subject: Board Ideas - Reversible Boards and Other Ideas -
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:54 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I'm planning on resurfacing my playing board, and making it reversible.  I want to do a woodland/grassland on one side (green/tan mix) an probably an ash waste on the other.  I'm looking for input on what has worked for you guys in the past and methods for making dual-use terrain.

My ruins terrain generally has a scorched earth look to it, with some grass or other foliage.  I think that will be neutral enough to work on either side.  For trees, I have based them all individually so they can be moved.  I can flock them in a neutral manner so all I need are "templates" to set them on, which I can simply finish in the same manner as the board.

First idea is just to roll on paint, sprinkle with sand, let dry and do a second coat of paint.  Simple, fast, but rather plain (and rough on the knuckles on occasion :D ).  I would probably leave the sand exposed for the ash waste side, possibly with a clear matte finish to hold it in place.

Another idea is to use crackle paint for the ash waste side.  Assuming I could find a grey crackle, I could basecoat the board with green and brown mottled colors so that the cracks exposed different colors underneath.  I think this would give a salt-flat sort of look.  The green would also help keep it from looking totally barren and allow some woodland-ish terrain to not look completely out of place.

For either the ash waste or woodland/grassland side, the stone-texture paint is also an option.  Obviously, finding the proper color is the main thing.  Better than sand/paint, but still somewhat monotonous.

A final option for the woodland/grassland side is the new (to me) velvet texture paint I've seen.

So, what do you guys think will work best and why?
Do you have other options you've used which would work?
Any ideas for dual-use terrain?  Is it even feasible?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am big on Valour I think it is called.  It looks much like GW's studio stuff.  The gaming boards I have seen painted and varnished don't seem to be able to grip the models and they slip around abit.  

My gaming table is a beauty my Dad made for me some time ago.  It is a wooded 4X4 board that collapes into a 4X2 board and handles come out the top so I can carry it like a briefcase.  This way I can stick it in the back sweat of my car (which is small anyway as I have a Mustang), or store it in the closet out of view.

The problem is that it was fine for back in the day playing AT/SM and 40k 2nd ed, but now for EpicA it blows.  It is too small for the light speed movement that can be done.  It is even kind of too small for Epic40k, which needs a lot of room too (I mean, considering that all the mini in a detachment can be as far as 30cm from the commander).  It is just okay for Man O' War which I still play, and excellent for Necromunda.  Mordheim is okay too, and I don't play big enough WFB games wo worry about the room either.

Obvious because it folds up and the Valour sides close together, I couldn't texture it because it has to lock up.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

For the ash wastes:
1 - use pepper instead of sand - seriously! You get to sneeze a lot, but once it's done, the fine grained appearance is great; easier on the knuckles too.
2 - cut a few 40K-size flagstones and glue them around selected areas in a giants' causeway sort of pattern - adds some character to the board.
3 - drill a few craters in the board surface using a range of drills between 6-12mm, to represent craters - WW1 images of Verdun and surroundings give a great idea of the intensity of cratering.
4 - apply some airbrush or spray can spurts of paint in short, circular bursts, representing chemical leaching of the surface by contamination/efflorescence/chemical weapons - if you're brave enough choose colours that contrast the base main colour e.g. rust or ochre on grey.
5 - apply light colour drybrushing on textured areas - skull white or bleached bone or both.

That's based on my own tiny 1ft x 3ft board.
 :-:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (nealhunt @ 10 2003 Dec.,15:54)
A final option for the woodland/grassland side is the new (to me) velvet texture paint I've seen.

for the grassland, I would use the GW grassmat and stick that down.

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We use GEO-Hex mats, roads & rivers and their modular hills ... easy.  Then add buildings, trees, craters, etc., etc. ...     :;):

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking at some of the recent WD battle reps, which I believe are done on the Warhammer World tables, I think on a couple the main surface is actually a green bath towel.. interesting, though possibly its texture might be rather out of scale for Epic...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is that your gaming table, Jimbo?  :O  Boy am I envious now.  :O

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:12 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Legion:  Are you interested in several boxes of geohex desert terrain.  I bought it from Primarch several years ago.  IIRC, it was $250-300 retail.  Since then, I've been making my own terrain (which I like better) and I would like to sell it off or trade it for more figs :p .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Neal, but after 12 + years of Epic gaming I've got "Beaucoup" terrain !   But thanks for thinking about me ! :;):  Yes, Jimbo's board looks similar to mine, my hills being GEO-Hex, are less steeply sloped.  But otherwise, very close ...  :D   And with every game, we can move and change the size and location of hills, ridges etc.  Then when the battle is over, just pack them up and store them in the boxes they came in under the table ... as I said ... easy  :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Neal, it was YOU who bought it from me? Small world (or rather my very small memory for such details).

I hope you got use out of it. I found while geo-hex is very good looking its a pain to store, which is why I sold it off. Since then I use Warzone terrain and green or brown felt I buy from the tailor shop by the yard. It makes for an equally pretty tabletop, but much easier to store.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 6:04 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Yup, it was me.  I went by the nick Tempest on the old Majordomo lists, so you might remember that.  FWIW, Allen McCarley (the Q&A guy) and I played several games on that terrain.

I came to the same conclusion you did, though.  It's nice stuff, but I found a better system.

Speaking of Allen, I will probably see him in a few months.  He now works in DC.  My sister and brother-in-law are moving to the DC suburbs and I've already exchanged e-mails with Allen about meeting up for GamesDay Baltimore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Yes, I remember Allen, say "hi" for me when you see him.

I dont remember much from that old list, I vaguely remember that user name, too many for my feele brain to remember.... :D

I think thats why Geo-hex probably went under, it cool, but expensive terrain and there are others who do it cheaper and its easier to store.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Neal,

Did you ever get your reversible board built?

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Neal hasn't been online here for a few months now... does he visit the SG forums at all? ???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

True, haven't seen him for ages.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules