Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mordheim Mega Board

Post subject: Mordheim Mega Board
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

http://www.ribeauville-riquewihr.com/EN ... p?ouvert=1

http://www.visit-alsace.com/bergheim/index.html

The pics are small and not very good but some of them does give an impression of what medieval towns would have looked like. Ribeauville is a perticularly beautiful place though way too over crowded with tourists nowadays!

Also you could try to check out tourist sites for central /southern Germany, Normandy, the Tchech (sp?) republic, Slovakia, and the Balkans.

Cheers! :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Warmaster Nice @ 13 2005 April,04:01)
http://www.ribeauville-riquewihr.com/EN ... p?ouvert=1

http://www.visit-alsace.com/bergheim/index.html

The pics are small and not very good but some of them does give an impression of what medieval towns would have looked like. Ribeauville is a perticularly beautiful place though way too over crowded with tourists nowadays!

Also you could try to check out tourist sites for central /southern Germany, Normandy, the Tchech (sp?) republic, Slovakia, and the Balkans.

Thanks!!

Those links are great.  It is hard to get an idea while worrying that the result will be too modern and not gothic enough.

My big trial right now is sorting.  When you cast 38 molds 24 times, you get alot of bricks.

I am looking at 228 pounds of cast dental plaster right now.  It only covers half my board and not too high.  

I spent this weekend staining the new battle board and I am waiting for it to dry.

My 5 year old daughter helped me, she had alot of fun (although the stain may not be 'workman quality' it can't get any better for my tastes)

All in all, I should be totally finished with this project by the end of next month.

best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More links

Hi again. Last summer I went to see this place, Mont Saint Michel. It is basically a medieval monastary on a small island but tis really cool with very narrow streets and old buildings. Browse the site for more pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

:D

Hi All,

Long Time, no update, life has been very complicated lately and has had the nasty habit of interfering with my hobbies, not that anyone else has ever had that sort of problem......

:p

Project update.

I have hired a few local teenagers to cast molds while I have been away at work.
Last night  we cracked open our 15th box of dental plaster (50lb boxes for those who have not been reading the thread)
We have been hitting a consistant 5%-6% mark of bad casts (due to air bubbles, insufficient agitation, improperly mixed plaster etc.)
That works out to about 40 lbs of bad brick and about 15 lbs of dried waste plaster (overflow).
I purchased a grinder and the dried plaster is being converted to aggregate (I will be experimenting with a 10-15% mix of aggregate to fresh plaster to see how it works - I will let everyone know how it goes)

At the current rate, the dungeon sections are almost cast, but the first level of the city has not even been touched.

In order to speed up the process, I am making molds so that a single casting is equivalent to 30 normal castings (the hirstarts molds are very small and to make a single building, you need to cast a single mold, a average of 24-26 times)
We are using waste glass  from a window making company and the pieces are 8" wide by 28" long.
Onto the glass I am crazy gluing 20 lbs of caste bricks with 1/4" or more separation between the pieces.
A frame made out of Medium density fibreboard (MDF) will box in the glass to a height of 5".
Once that is complete, I am spraying the blocks with plaster sealent (the wood is already sealed) and spraying the whole thing with mold release.
Using that as my positive and some molding compounds I am experimenting with, I should be able to make multiple new negatives to speed my production time and to cut back on the wear and tear on my original molds.  Also, since each master is a single type of block, my sorting is very simple.

I am also going to try making masters of already assembled pieces to see if I can eliminate some of the assembly phase as well.

My wife is now convinced that I am insane, well, I must admit, I think I am insane.
I am just waiting for the time when I finish all this, play some games on it, get bored with the result and sell it all on ebay so that I can start another crazy project.

I have two more gaming tables showing up at my place so my basement is turning into a gaming dungeon.

I was thinking of making book shelves using old barnboard and cast bricks.  I will see how the combination molds turn out, if they work, I will try large pieces.

Anyways, just another update from the crazy lad from Canada.

best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Back Again,

I think I have found a solution to my painting delema.
You see, the plaster I am using is either pure white, or, a light shade of green.

The plaster is also very porus, and takes the paint like a sponge.   As such, you have to slop on the paint to get anything done, but, you risk losing all the fine detail that the bricks have.

I was fighting with the problem, when, I tried some of GW's dark brown ink.

The Ink highlighted the detail, and I was able to brush it on alot better than paint.  You would think the ink would sock up faster than the paint, but, that is not the case.

The result looks good (a brownish/black base that I can drybrush later)

Now, I am not one with financial difficulties (as anyone who is reading this thread could guess, given how much I have spent so far)  BUT, basecoating the amount of bricks I will need (I am guessing over 1400 pounds) would bankrupt bill gates with the prices GW charges.

So, I have another delema, getting dark brown ink in sufficient quantities that I can use a spray bottle to apply it while not breaking the bank.

Does anyone have any suggesstions?

best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (DaltonCalford @ 04 2005 June,13:27)
So, I have another delema, getting dark brown ink in sufficient quantities that I can use a spray bottle to apply it while not breaking the bank.

Does anyone have any suggesstions?

Now this is one big project - want see!
I'd suggest you try to obtain some cheap (if it exists!) acrylic paint and add excessive water (1:1) to thin it to wash consistency. Try it with some acrylic paint you might have before investing, though!  :-:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

I have been wondering about some form of gaming weekend once the ruined city is complete.

At the current rate, I am guestimating that it will be a few months yet before it reaches a half decent stage of completion.

Are there any gamers in the Toronto Canada area who would be interested in a few games on a VERY large gaming area?

best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First of all: WAOW! I want pics! :D

Secondly regarding the ink. I have no idae what itt is called in english but you could try to use the kind of high pigment thin colour which can be used to make light woods look like mahogony. Like I said I don't know the name but I think it should be possible to obtain in large quantities at a reasonable price. I don't know if it can be used on plaster but by the looks of it it should have about the same properties as an ink.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I second wanting to see pics.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Guys,

I know, I KNOW....

Pictures are definately comming, but, all I have are pictures of my girls and I painting/staining my gaming table and thats about it.

Otherwise you would see pictures of bags/boxes/crates/shelves of cast bricks and boxes of plaster.  I have some walls and floors assembled, but nothing impressive unless you are standing in the middle of the garage and realize that there is nothing else but bricks in it (the lawnmower and mini-van have been evicted)

Once there is enough finished materials, I will post lots of pics.

Best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

hehe, we'll be watching you. No pics and Mjoarn will send some grey knights your way... :;): :D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Dalton,

I'm happy that your dream project is coming along so well...

I've got an errand to run for you in a bit that will also make you happy... :D

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was thinking, warmaster in 28 mm scale using LoTR miniatures (yea, I'm twisted, I think some influence from Tzentch has been detected....)
Large scale city fight using 14 miniatures to a base....
hmmm. I can imagine it now.....
The screams, the threats, the terror, the impending doom, all when my wife discovers what my next mad idea is about.....
:p

maybe a visit from the inquisition is due in order to put me out of my misery....

???

Anyways, I am still waiting for another set of RTV rubber to set so that I can see if I have ruined another batch (learning curve is steep)  and I realized that noone has taken me up on my offer to cast some extra blocks for anyone who wants to build a castle.

best regards

Dalton

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all,

I have finished my molds for my doors. ?Yup, doors.
You see, the hirst arts molds are very shallow, and as such, are only capable of casting half a door at a time.

What this means is that either you glue the door to a wall and assume it will never open, or, you cast a mold twice and glue the doors back to back. ?One of the door molds even has a split down the middle so you have to glue the door together anyways.

What I did, was use alot of glue, greenstuff, mold sealent and other handy items I had laying around to make a single mold that when cast, creates 12 of each type of door, complete, front and back. ?No gluing, no green stuff filler, just a nice, finished door.

All it took me was 7 tries with different rubbers, door layouts and lots of elbow grease.

Now I am onto making decorative walls and corners.

ON A TOTALLY SEPARATE NOTE.....

On Sunday, at the church picnic, I was cornered by a friend of mine. ?He is preparing for the church'es Remembrance Day service.

He needs sound bites, about 3-4 seconds at most, of war time sounds. ?Iconic little sounds in wav or mp3 format that sound like machine gun fire, gas attack alerts, dive bombing runs, you know, all the wonderfull sounds from the past.

They will be used in his presentation. Unfortunately, my war movie collection is very small. (my first wife did not like war movies, and I came home one day to find my war movies, westerns, role-playing games and battletech miniatures to have disappeared as a garage sale/garbage run).

Any help would be very much appreciated.

best regards,
Dalton.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Darn, outside of ripping the mp3 files from a DVD movie I'm not sure where to get such files.

How about old computer war games? Like some of the recent WWII ones?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next