Login |  Register |  FAQ

GHQ Rules

Post subject: GHQ Rules
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i recently aquired these rules too, I would like to try the introductory scenario just to test things out.

Only thing is I`m new to historicals, ww2 history and non-GW wargaming in general...

While reading the introductory scenario, it seems I`m always facing something that is not clear.

For example, it took me a while to figure out why the `Generic`
Kampfgruppe on page 115 had a command center valued at 203 points, then found on page 107 that the GHQ is subject to a cost modifier based on its Command Bonus Modifier used while using the Command Efficiency table during the Joint Movement Phase. In that case the cost modifier is x4, so the GHQ is 40x4 = 160.

Having figured that, I wanted to know what exactly was meant by sdkfz/37 SPAA, so I rushed to page 36 to consult  Germany`s weapons data sheet, only to find that there is no such entry in the list...

The scenario had probably a typo in it and it meant to say sdkfz10/37mm unit, the cost of 36 points, obtained by substracting 160 (GHQ), 7 (light truck) from the total of 203 gave it away easily...

I rushed then to the GHQ website to see what a sdkfz10/37mm looked like, only to find that they only have a sdkfz10/20mm available, but is actually name SdKfz 10/4 SPAA 20mm.

Confused, I decided to research FLAK artillery mounted on sdkfz to clear thing ups a bit.

I guess this is what is meant by researching before playing historicals, one thing for sure is by the end of the week I`ll know all about Germany`s ww2 FLAK artillery, but I will not have played the introductory scenario yet.  :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Denis @ Sep. 03 2006,10:52)
Having figured that, I wanted to know what exactly was meant by sdkfz/37 SPAA, so I rushed to page 36 to consult ?Germany`s weapons data sheet, only to find that there is no such entry in the list...

The scenario had probably a typo in it and it meant to say sdkfz10/37mm unit, the cost of 36 points, obtained by substracting 160 (GHQ), 7 (light truck) from the total of 203 gave it away easily...

I see that it is not too specific on the intro scenario. So I think you had a choice of the Sdfz7/FLAK36(37mm),or the Sdkfz10/37,because they are both SPAA Self Propelled Anti Aircraft,and each have the same weapon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(jb1 @ Sep. 03 2006,22:55)

Having figured that, I wanted to know what exactly was meant by sdkfz/37 SPAA, so I rushed to page 36 to consult  Germany`s weapons data sheet, only to find that there is no such entry in the list...

I see that it is not too specific on the intro scenario. So I think you had a choice of the Sdfz7/FLAK36(37mm),or the Sdkfz10/37,because they are both SPAA Self Propelled Anti Aircraft,and each have the same weapon.

Yes but the point values are different for both units, only a unit with a point value of 36 can work here since the point value of the command center is 203 (scenario on page 115).

GHQ 4x40            160
Light Truck               7
sdkfz/37 SPAA       36
-----------------------------
Total                   203

If I take the sdkfz7/Flak36 (37mm) listed on page 36 at 38 points, the total value for the command center will be 205, not 203.

I know this is really not important compared to the general game mechanics and playability, but each time I try to ignore a confusing thing a new one appears...

So first a typo in the scenario, then the last entry in the section Anti-Aircraft Weapons on page 36 doesn`t seem accurate (quad was for the FLAK 38, not 37?), then no model to represent the sdkfz10/37mm in the GHQ range, a reply from a post on the GHQ forum points me to sdkfz 251's...?

Maybe I'll just ignore all of the points and model representation and just try out the game mechanics.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Denis @ Sep. 03 2006,19:52)

(jb1 @ Sep. 03 2006,22:55)

Having figured that, I wanted to know what exactly was meant by sdkfz/37 SPAA, so I rushed to page 36 to consult ?Germany`s weapons data sheet, only to find that there is no such entry in the list...

Yes but the point values are different for both units, only a unit with a point value of 36 can work here since the point value of the command center is 203 (scenario on page 115).

GHQ 4x40 ? ? ? ? ? ?160
Light Truck ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 7
sdkfz/37 SPAA ? ? ? 36
-----------------------------
Total ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? 203

If I take the sdkfz7/Flak36 (37mm) listed on page 36 at 38 points, the total value for the command center will be 205, not 203.

I know this is really not important compared to the general game mechanics and playability, but each time I try to ignore a confusing thing a new one appears...

So first a typo in the scenario, then the last entry in the section Anti-Aircraft Weapons on page 36 doesn`t seem accurate (quad was for the FLAK 38, not 37?), then no model to represent the sdkfz10/37mm in the GHQ range, a reply from a post on the GHQ forum points me to sdkfz 251's...?

Maybe I'll just ignore all of the points and model representation and just try out the game mechanics.

After looking into this matter further,there is no Sdkfz 10 ,at least with 37mm AA self propelled. If it is a Sdkfz10 then it is going to have to tow it. It is too large a weapon to sit on the back deck. Now I see that there is a Sdkfz7 self propelled 37mm flak . If the intro scenario called for a Sdkfz 37mmSPAA then this is it.
I see what you mean,It doesn't add up correctly,but in any case I would use the Sd7 37mm SPAA. The author has obviously made a mistake on his addition ???

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then probably unit Sdkfz10/37mm, line 5, along with unit Sdkfz10/20mm, line 4 on page 36 both refer to towed AA guns.

That would make sense I guess, while the mounted versions are represented using Sdkfz7's.

By the way I tried the rules (solo) tonight with two small forces (500 points). It's ok, alot of cohesion rolls...
Best part was finally using ww2 tanks! I can't say
there is anything wrong with the rules, but I have a feeling other rules such as Blitzkrieg Commander or or FOW will offer more excitement, so I will try BKC next.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

...Well,thats what happens when you get a Psychologist :p ?that was an ex Marine turn Marine again,write you some rules...To the author, head games in the minis are paramount...I guess...I better think it over,no! I'll just roll a cohesion roll!! :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll toss this out for others to consider, but in a conversation with Greg Lane one day, we kicked around the idea of porting Epic Armageddon to the modern period (post 1980-ish), called Epic2K.

The idea behind the intent is that we know the rules mechanics fairly well, and the tough part would be on agreeing which nation should get what Strategy Rolls, what does a Hind have, etc.

I can't say that I've put a lot of thought behind this just yet, but since there seems to be a reasonable smattering of Modern type players here, perhaps some would be willing to give it a go.

Thoughts?

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

...I really like my rules for WWII and modern. They use a D10 system. I really don't care for the D6 system.
As a matter of fact I was going give my epic stuff "Panzertruppen" stats,in this way I could use epic using my "mechanics"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(jb1 @ Sep. 04 2006,20:59)
...I really like my rules for WWII and modern. They use a D10 system. I really don't care for the D6 system.
As a matter of fact I was going give my epic stuff "Panzertruppen" stats,in this way I could use epic using my "mechanics"

You know, flaunting your own non published ruleset like that is a bit like not posting pics...  :;):

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Mojarn Piett @ Sep. 04 2006,23:45)

(jb1 @ Sep. 04 2006,20:59)

You know, flaunting your own non published ruleset like that is a bit like not posting pics... ?:;):

I agree, it is bad form.  :;):

One should give a link to one's rules so others could read them and try them.  :D

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

...sorry dudes,just posting the the facts,nothing but the facts.
No flaunting intended....