Login |  Register |  FAQ

Help with Spanish Civil War Naval Combat Rules

Post subject: Help with Spanish Civil War Naval Combat Rules
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's most probable that i get to buy NavWar's 1:3000 range of Spanish Civil War vessels, possibly including some foreign ships if i ever get to know which ships from Germany & Italy operated as blockaders. So, my request of helps includes:

- Does anyone know if NavWar store is well stocked? i say so because i plan to go to the shop and buy the full fleet from them instead of ordering via mail

- Does anyone know of any rules which i could use without having to adapt things? i mean, i would like rules of average difficulty which had stats for those ships. I know there are lots of rules for WW1 and WW2 engagements.

- Does anyone around here get to be an expert in the Royal Navy's history? i say so because most spanish models were based on RN designs, so maybe i could use RN ships to make up for the models which NavWar doesn't produce for Spain (like gunboats, fast attack boats and subs)

- Last, but  most difficult: does anyone know the composition of the german and italian blockading fleets? i know that two sister ships of the Admiral Graff Spee were operating here. Even one of them bombed the city of Granada after republican planes bombed the Deustschland (which the claimed to have incorrectly identified as the Canarias). I say so because there was an almost totally unknown plan from the war minister to throw the full republican fleet against the german fleet operating in the Mediterranean and blow it up, thus declaring war on Germany and throwing up the famous "non-intervention comitee"which was only helping the nationalist side.

Thank you in advance!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi - I'm not an expert on Navwar the RN but i can try....

From recent orders with Navwar they seem fairly well stocked as I got everything within a couple of days. I don't know if this would cover multiple orders of individual ships.

May be it might be an idea to fax your order in advance and say on which Saturday you are coming in to pick it up (he's open Saturdays 12.30 to 4.00 according to the website).

As for the Royal Navy and similarities with the spanish your best bet would probably be to check the following books:

"Conways Fighting ships 1922 to 1946" p398-404 has a navy list for the Spain in 1922 + a profile of the Spanish navy through the civil war (including a write up on the Basque navy in the civil war). It gives profile line drawings of all main warships so you can compare ship types with the section on the Royal Navy on p2-85. The cruisers and destroyers look very similar as many were built or designed in the UK ( Conways does state that the Alfonso light cruises was based on the british E class).

The added value of Conways is that it does the same thing for the Reichsmarine/Kreigsmarine the Italian RN and the French Navy and the Soviet Union. These all had interests in the SCW

Other books of use might be Janes Fighting Ships of WW1 and Janes Fighting Ships of WW2.

Most library services in the UK should have these and Conway's in stock (if your lucky they might even have a 1930s back run of Janes Fighting ships in their vaults) but you can always find copies floating around on abebooks.com, ebay or Amzon though they can be a bit pricey.

As to information on German / Italian blockaders, Conways might help, or try this article on the net:

Geurra Marina 1936

It seems to have some good sources at the end that you could try getting through your local library.

For rules you could try:

General Quarters (I think Navwar has these)

Victory at Sea (a bit simplistic but used sensibly seem fun and available in PDF at WargamingOnline.com

AandAgames.co.uk do a variety of WW2 / dreadnought rules designed by David Manley and I've always thought highly of them. They are also available in PDF form from wargamingonline as well. Check out The Miniatures Page for review.

(David Manley's own site has many clever mods for other naval rulessets)

David Manley

Alternatively you could try boardgames rules from the second world war at sea range from Avalanche Press which I use for campaign games, and trnsfer to minatures rules set when you get in gun range.

Avalanche Press

Ok thats my 2 penny worth. Hope it helps. I alway liked this period for alternate history games like British intervention against Italy in the invasion of Abysinnia. gives a chance for the UK (or Italy!?) to become a major carrier navy power before the US or Japan. Its not history but it is fun. Good luck.

GG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry try this link for:

Guerra Marina

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello boys. I have not bought the GQ 3 rules yet, but i have finished painting my SCW fleets. Better if you save the pics and then check them, as they are too downsized by the forum agorythm:

The National Fleet

The Republican Fleet

The German Fleet which bombed Almeria + some merchants