Login |  Register |  FAQ

My first FOW army

Post subject: My first FOW army
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi I am new to Flames of war and I have just started trying to make my first company. I have chosen to be the germans in LW. I've got the the books montys meatgrinder and D-Day(and the rulebook) and I am having trouble understanding how to make my first company. I'm starting of with an infantry company of some sort because people have said that it is easier to start off with. Can someone just give me some pointers on how to get started. Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: My first FOW army
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Find a group of players in your area and go from there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What if there isn't any players in my area. I checked this awhile ago but no luck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, who the heck are you going to game with then? Another friend going in green then?

Each army list will have unit structure pictured right at the beginning of its respective section. Some boxes will be dark and some will be lighter in color; the darker ones are mandatory and must be taken, the lighter ones are optional. For most lists, you will need a command section and two combat platoons. Dark/light boxes may sometime list multiple unit options to select, but your usually only limited to one of those selections i.e. You may pick unit A, B, or C; but not A & B together. Units options will also tell you the exact page in the briefing book you are using to find the details of that unit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I can't play until i move towns, which will be in a few years. If I get really bored I will have to play with my dad or something but since its my first time making terrain and painting minis it will be awhile before i am ready to play. None of my friends here are even remotely interested in wargames but since I live in a town with less than 900 people thats normal. Since i live in a town with only 900 people that means that there definitely wont be a club or hobby store here but I am going to a town with a hobby store in less than a week so I'll have a look there to see if there is any clubs and next time i visit Ill go to one.

What or where in the books does it tell you that the black boxes are mandatory and the grey optional. There must be some way you know this. That way i won't have to keep asking so many questions on here.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Get two books to start off: First, get the rule book of course! For a good all around book for many forces go with Fortress Europe. In that book you will find the unit diagrams as I described. These are in all the briefing books i.e. D-1, Hells Highway, Afrika, etc...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes I will get fortress europe since its generic book. I should have got that instead of Montys meat and d-day. But for some reason it does not say how the diagrmas work at all in montys meatgrinder at all or at least i cant find where it says it.