Login |  Register |  FAQ

GW - Historical; Legends of the Old West

Post subject: GW - Historical; Legends of the Old West
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We obtained a few copies of LOTOW to add to our other Western rules (Gutshot and Six Gun Sound). I like all three rules systems, but each for different reasons. We gave the new rules a shake down last weekend and were pleased enough. They are not identical to Necromunda but still pretty close, the campaign progression is exactly like Necromunda. Two things that make the game much different than Necromunda is that there are not to-hit modifiers, you roll your shooting score to hit and that is that. However, if there is any cover or intervening terrain, you have to check to shoot past the obstruction, this check is made for every intervening object. So if you are targeting a cowboy in a window and there are two fence rails in between the shooter and target, you would make 3 "in the way" rolls. Different objects have different rolls required for these checks. Sometimes the obstruction is another model, friend, foe, bystander! Another difference is that there is no roll to knock your target out of action, if the target loses his last Wound, he is out of action.

We played three games: The first game was "Hang 'Em High" my outlaws had to rescue a condemned criminal who is on the gallows. I lost this one but honestly I was in a stronger position than my opponent, bit that is how the game (like Necromunda) goes. The second scenario was "Vendetta" this was akin to shoot-out at the OK Coral scenario. My outlaws were seeking vengeance for the law dogs stealing their victory last scenario. But alas I lost this one also, the game was very bloody and both posse were down to two models and making Run for the Hills checks every turn. The third scenario was "High Noon" and the classic stand off in the streets. I won this game but I had a 2-1 advantage due to deaths and injuries from the previous game.

There is still room for improvement in the rules with some house rules, borrowed straight from Necromunda but the game is certainly playable and enjoyable as is. We also met another gamer who plays 28mm Westerns and already owns Legends of the Old West. He just wandered in while we started scenario #1.

These are a few pics from The Vendetta:

I'm adding another 38 minis to to my Western collection (Indians, Mexicans, townsfolk, and others) and also 13 more buildings! The post from the UK seems a bit slow on the later.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: GW - Historical; Legends of the Old West
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

LOTOW sounds awesome - necromunda is already old west in space, so adding real cowboys should be just the ticket.

What are good places to get western minis?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cool !!! Sounds like a good time !!! ;D ;D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like the Black scorpion line of Westerns. I also just got a batch of Foundry, a few pre-painted EM4 minis, and plan to add some of the Reaper minis also. You can good Western minis in 15mm/25mm/28mm+ and even 40mm.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll check those out, thanks!