Login |  Register |  FAQ

Fire on the high seas!

Post subject: Fire on the high seas!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We played a 1000 point game of Trafalgar today, British vs Spanish. Spaniards brought a 1st rate Ship of the Line, two 3rd rate Ships of the Line, and two 6th rate Sloops, they had a few upgrades in their fleet but I don't recall what they were now. British fielded the Royal Sovereign (1st rate SOL with Rear-Admiral, over-gunned, master gunners, and solidly built upgrades), the Cerebus and Macedonia (both are large 3rd rate SOL with master gunners and solidly built upgrades).

The scenario was a straight up fleet engagement, Brits were favored having the wind to their backs.

Brits deploy in a battle line with the Royal Sovereign at the lead:

Spanish fleet first deployed instead of facing into the wind and having their sails taken aback, deploy and then cut across the winds hoping for favorable wind change:

The Spanish open fire first at long range with their heavy cannons but the solidly built British ships shrugs off the few hits. The Brit return volley causes light damage to the Spanish flagship the Satsuma Trinidad (1st rate SOL) but ignite her ablaze! The fire then progresses and spread to main mast sails and then to the mizzenmast sails.

The Spanish strike their own critical hit in the way of a damaged rudder to the Royal Sovereign (no turns allowed until repaired on a roll of 6):

As the two fleets continue to close the Spanish flagship continues to burn and the fire spreads completely consuming her sails and inflicting heavy casualties upon the crew, while the Brit guns give no quarter as the light cannons and carronades come into range.

Brits maintain their formation and concentrate their fire as the Spanish their fleet falling apart:

A second Spanish ship is set ablaze and heavy damage is inflicted upon the remainder of the fleet as the Satsuma Trinidad is crippled and becomes a sinking fire pit. The Spanish fleet strikes her colors, the battle belongs to the British!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fire on the high seas!
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:27 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Look like Figurehead 1:2400 to me. I've got some friends who have them, and they're neat ships. I use the 1:6000 Figurehead for Victory at Sea myself.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 3:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks guys, the ships are a nice wargame quality but certainly not the masterpieces you see in the larger scale vessels. These are 1/2000 scale (small enough for me to avoid doing the rigging!) from the Valiant line, Fighting Sails.

I know many people complain about the Trafalgar rules but they are a good and simple rule set with just enough detail. Overall a good combination when you play about a billion different games. You shouldn't have to know how to actual sail to play a game.

I have other rule sets too but it is hard to get others together for a game. I need to finish out my conversion rules for BFG to get more of them to play with Age of Sail.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:31 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

US is a good set of beer & pretzel rules, very easy to play and they flow well. Plus lots of dice, seems to please most people. I like the cards that accompany game play.