Login |  Register |  FAQ

There's a snake in my boot!

Post subject: There's a snake in my boot!
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 3:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Been thinking of 25/28mm Western skirmish gaming. Any thoughts on Gutshot by Hawg Leg Publishing or Legends of the Old West from GW Historical?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: There's a snake in my boot!
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I think the D6 Generation did a podcast review of gutshot that you may want to check out. I also think that LotOW is based on the LotR rules engine, although someone will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:44 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I have both along with Desperado (1st and 2nd I think), The Rules with No Name (free and the hardcover), Cowboys: The Way of the Gun (haven't cracked it open yet though), and Six Gun Sound (the free version). I've also have played High Noon a couple times at Cons.

Overall, I think the Rules with No Name/Desperado is the best due to the alternating random activation. There's some free Ares mods out there that look pretty good too, and like most of MJ12's games it's very elegant in its simplicity.

Here's a comprehensive list for what's out there:
http://www.erichotz.com/game_rules1.html

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A buddy of mine likes Desperado too, unfortunately we live in different states.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I ended up ordering a copy of Gutshot! and about 19 minis from Black Scorpion.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ive played LotOW by GW for awhile now. It does a few things fairly well:

*Quick and fast play based upon LotR's system (which I had heard about for some time before picking this up)
*Great campaign system based roughly on Mordheim's experience. There were a few flaws in it, and a force that has a lot of experience can roll any non-experienced list, but overall not bad
*Good scenarios

The expansion books are a tad expensive, but the quality of the print is typical GW, ie pretty darn good

Every character has a Shooting Value you must exceed. There are very few modifiers which makes it nice. If cover is in the way, after you make a successful to-hit roll, you must exceed 4+ to get past the cover. This includes mounted riders, as the horse might take the hit! Then its a wounding roll, usually a 4+ again (yes, rolling two or three 4+'s in a row is typical) and the target takes a wound. Most models have only one wound.

Characters have two special stats. One allows an "invulnerable save" and one allows them to perform special actions. These are often not very plentiful and get used up quickly, but allows for some neat action.

Close combat is, unfortunately, a joke. Certain weapons give you a modifier to your roll, usually negative if at all. The two models in base contact roll a d6 each and compare. Highest wins and gets to roll to wound the other. The game doesnt care if my model has a CC value of 5 and yours has a 1 unless we tie on the die roll. This is, in my opinion, a major failing, but regardless, it still plays out reasonably well.

The game is fast and fun, easy to learn and easier to play. ~8-12 models on a side is about right, plus civilians. So few die rolling means that each and every roll is important, which is one thing that a "buckets of dice" game does is balance things over the course of a game. There are some fantastic models out there, even for someone like me who fields female cowgirls only :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By the title I thought this was a Woody/Jessie Round Up Type game...my bad I'll go back into my Disney underground bunker