Login |  Register |  FAQ

Black Powder

Post subject: Black Powder
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:39 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

So, after their launch with Romans and Celts, Warlord Games (Paul Sawyer and co) have a rules set coming out. And, this certainly has pedigree! On the design team are: Rick Priestly, Jervis Johnson and the Perry Twins, using a core of Warmasters movement with Perry's 28mm minis.

On the edge of AWI, this may push me over the edge... if it works in a smaller scale of mini.

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=136

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any reviews?

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmmmmmm :) :) :)
I always like old Paul Sawyer, now I'm starting to appreciate him even more. Rick Priestly and Jervis and the Perrys? God grief! All it needed was Andy Chambers to have the old gang all in!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:25 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I am hopeful this ruleset comes out soon and that can be used for ACW with Perry's new 28mm plastics.

My one concern is that article on Warlord Games website states that Black Powder will not have points values. I can understand that given that Rick, Jervis & the Perrys have been using it for historical refights with their extensive minature collection, and they will know exactly what units fought in the original battles.

This sounds great for the occasional weekend game where you have time to refight specific battles. However most gaming is more time pressured- you have roughly 3 hours to set up terrain, play the game and then pack away afterwards. It is nice to have an accepted points value so that you can bring along say 1,500 points of your army and be able to play against your opponent  if they bring along 1,500 points of their army. Even if dont arrange game beforehand it is nice to bring along your force and know that you should have a balanced game against most armies.

I hope that Warlord Games has a rethink on the lack of points values. Otherwise that will nudge me towards the various Warhammer Historicals rulesets.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hmmm... a little OT, but the FLGS (now owned by and right next to a bookstore) just got in a copy of a ruleset called Field of Glory, which is put out by the same guys that do the research for Osprey.

It's distinctly ancients, and a little bigger in model/stand count than DBA.  Just a thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:17 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

(Lion in the Stars @ May 26 2008,03:13)
hmmm... a little OT, but the FLGS (now owned by and right next to a bookstore) just got in a copy of a ruleset called Field of Glory, which is put out by the same guys that do the research for Osprey.

It's distinctly ancients, and a little bigger in model/stand count than DBA. ?Just a thought.

Funnily enough I have just been researching Field of Glory. I am looking for one ruleset that can cover up to mediaval period and then another that can cover from say English Civil War through to American Civil War with only small number of additional rules for each period e.g. Napoleonic squares. Its a factor of getting old and playing too many gaming systems- I struggle to remember all of the rulesets and end up mixing rules from different systems up at times.

I am hopeful that Field of Glory and Black Powder might together be the answer especially with the recent and forthcoming ranges of 28mm hard plastics:

-both Warlord Games & Wargames Factory will be doing 28mm hard plastic Romans & Celts
-Perry twins marvellous 28mm ACW infantry & cavalry
-Perry's Napoleonic French and Victrix Napoleonic British

I await further developments of Black Powder ruleset with interest.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, this could be useful as I've been developing an interest in recreating a battle from the War of 1812.