Login |  Register |  FAQ

Looking for recommendations for 15mm minis

Post subject: Looking for recommendations for 15mm minis
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I play White Wolf's Exalted game.  Reaper makes some very nice 28mm figures for Exalted, but I want something smaller for the mass combat rules.  I'm leaning toward 15mm since I'm into Flames of War already, and I'd like to minimize the amount of different terrain scales I need.

There are two major forces in Exalted:  the Realm, who's infantry most closely resemble Early Romans; and the Seventh Legion, who have a decidedly Japanese influence.  

There's cavalry of various types (light, heavy, and WTF is he riding?!!!), siege engines of both mundane and Magical varieties, and both sea- and skyships of various types.

I'm looking for recommendations for Early Romans (I've found a source for Corvus Belli, but if someone knows of a cheaper source or higher quality, please let me know), Japanese samurai and ashigaru, Norse, Arabs, Crusaders, and Mongols. Timeline wise, I can use anything from Early Roman to roughly 15th century, including firearms.  I'd also like recommendations for Gryphons and other wild animals, like lions, tigers, and elephants.  

I'm looking for recommendations for the highest quality Fantasy 15mm troops out there:  Wizards, Fighters, and Priests; archers and 'diplomats', to use as characters.  Exact maker does not matter, nor does armor or lack thereof.  Exalted characters can have anything from Roman lamellar to superheavy plate like the knights wore in Excalibur.  Oversized weapons are a plus, as the Exalted weapons of choice are much larger than would be possible without magic.

I'll convert the Magical Siege Engines, but I would like suggestions for the mundane catapults, ballistae, etc.

Does anyone here have recommendations, or should I take this question to The Miniatures Page?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, Dafrca is the master of the 15th millimeter but here are some links to 15mm manufacturers. Unfortunately I can't recommend any of these personally as my fantasy figures are in 10mm scale.  :(

http://www.thanesgames.com/miniaturelinks.htm

EDIT: for some reason, some of the links have www.thanesgames.com/ before the link itself so just click them and when you get an error remove the www.thanesgames.com/ from the address bar.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Here are my personal favourites:
Venexia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

15mm Fantasy, my favorite is Demonworld.

Most of what it seems you want I would get through Old Glory's Ancients.

Not that Vanvlak is not right, Venexia is nice, but for me Old Glory is easier to get and they paint up nice.

Just my .02

dafrca

Come fight me, if you dare...... http://dd-janks.mybrute.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Demonworld miniatures are very nice, but also very expensive once shipping is added. Also, they have been discontinued.  :(

Also, Eureka do some nice samurai in this scale.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(tchristney @ Jul. 30 2006,13:42)
The Demonworld miniatures are very nice, but also very expensive once shipping is added. Also, they have been discontinued. ?:(

You are right, I forgot they were going to stop doing them. dam them.

Check with Brookhurst if you are in the US. They used to carry the full line.

dafrca

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, guys.  

Exalted is a weird world.  The Realm's Legions are very much 'Iliad' forces.  Take an Early Roman army (complete with foreign levees making up the skirmishers and cavalry), and add epic heroes (the Dragon-Blooded exalts) and some generally minor battlefield support magic.

Then there's Lookshy.  The core of their army is essentially Spartans.  Elite, raised from birth to be warriors.  Add the 'Ashigaru' elite heavy infantry (wearing magical armor that dramatically enhances the wearer's military potential), and armed with magical ranged weapons, who make up 1 in 5 line infantry.  Then you add 'Gunzosha,' mortal infantry who trade half their lifespan to take to the field as the equal of the Exalted.  They're armed with even more, and more powerful, magical weapons than Ashigaru, but are very rare (about 1 in 25).  

As if that wasn't bad enough, then you start adding the really scary hardware:  Dragon Armor, which is broadly comparable in power to Gunzosha armor, but is worn by an Exalt.  Dragon armor can, depending on the version, fly (Air), double the user's already enhanced running speed (Fire, effectively quadrupling groundspeed), act as a Combat Engineer suit (Earth), act as a unit to handle ghosts, spirits, and the undead (Wood, IIRC), or shut down magic use (Water, although I may have Wood and Water backwards).  Lookshy has 10-15 Dragon Warriors (Exalts in Dragon Armor) supporting a Dragon, a unit of 1250 infantry (usually broken down as 2 units of 125 Ashigaru and 8 units of 125 regular infantry).  

Then there's the Warstriders.  A warstrider is, basically, a giant suit of magical armor 3-4 times the height of a man, and vastly stronger.  If you've ever seen 'Escaflowne,' those are Warstriders.  While magical weapons were made to fit warstriders, very few people have the spiritual 'oompf' to use both a warstrider and magical weapons.  Lookshy fields 10-15 warstriders as support for a Dragon, while the Realm tend to field 10-15 per Legion (5-10 Dragons make up a Legion).

There's a cavalry mount called a Simhata (lion-horse or dragon-horse, in most of the local languages).  Basically, imagine a lion or wolf head on a warhorse's body, and it is as nasty as it sounds.  I'll just convert those.

The Fair Folk can ride Gryphons, or other fantastic beasts, although they prefer the gryphons.  Do you have a recommendation for Gryphons?

Does anyone have preferences for undead (who makes the cheapest, 'cuz ya need lots of the things, or most detailed, or best detail for the $$)?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have an skeleton army using mostly the old Reaper Shadowcorps line. It is sold now under the Blood Dawn banner. I am happy with most of the troops although the poleaxe, wraith and mounted reaper wth sword are my least favorite. Overall, the line is a little bigger than "true" 15mm, especially with the thick cast on bases.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks.  Does anyone do 15mm zombies, or do I find some 15mm peasants to convert?

Undead in Exalted are more along the lines of large numbers of zombies, with a few warrior types, and then monstrously powerful Deathknights as the commanders (picture a cross between a combat Vampire and a master Necromancer).  The undead also have some dedicated siege weapons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Demonworld does/did a zombie pack. In fact, I would say that the Ishtak line from Demonworld would probably supply most of what you want. The old Demonworld website has pretty good pictures of the line. Some of the modern zombie ranges might also be suitable - try searching for "zombie" on The Miniatures Page, you'll get scores of hits.

Another page you might find useful for historicals is this one. Gives you an idea of the overall quality (subjective...) of the various manufacturers' lines.

Another list of manufacturers is here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

alternative armies do 15mm zombies. See here: http://www.15mm.co.uk/prad093.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alternative Armies?  Those guys are still around?  I've got some of their 28mm 'Napoleonique' Fantasy minis.  Very odd stuff, but nicely sculpted.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Demonworld figs are gorgeous, but expensive!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(primarch @ Jul. 31 2006,16:47)
Hi!

Demonworld figs are gorgeous, but expensive!

Primarch

Yep, they were nice.

dafrca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Lion in the Stars @ Jul. 31 2006,20:49)
Alternative Armies?  Those guys are still around?  I've got some of their 28mm 'Napoleonique' Fantasy minis.  Very odd stuff, but nicely sculpted.

Oh yes, they are very much alive. They just published 2nd edition of Slaughterloo.

www.alternative-armies.com

I love their fantasy napoleonics. Too bad I don't have funds for any more minis. Nor do I have time to paint several divisions of 28mm troops.  :(