Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

MAYHEM expanded!

Post subject: Re: MAYHEM expanded!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

bombshell games wrote:
These are good questions, and this topic is one of the fun 'game within the game' aspects that I personally really enjoy. How to build, protect, and attack a general will become more important as your strategies and tactics evolve. Gear and equipment aside, here are a few approaches:

1. Build a unit for the express purpose of staying next to your general [in default move range] as his primary escape when things go wrong. It protects the general and the unit.
2. Create a general that no enemy would want to have join a unit because he is just too nasty! >:D While this can tie up some points, it can act as a great deterrent when done properly.
3. The method you already mentioned with the low stat/point build is great. If going this route, then sometimes it's best to just totally commit and use the d20 for CQ and BAR! It can be scary, but it makes a bold statement to your opponent and can even act as bait to tempt him in to doing something unwise.
4. Blink, barrier, and time stop can make trying to approach a general an exercise in frustration. I'll say nothing more! ;)

Some very interesting ideas on what to do with your general! Expanding on point 2, how about using a general/unit combo that is more than the sum of its parts? For example:

Daemon Prince Riding Chaos Chariot

Daemon Prince CQd8, BARd12, MVd8, Behemoth, Spear, Shield, general 26
Chaos Chariot CQd8, BARd10, MVd8, Chariot, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Musician 32

The Chariot gives great offense with its improved impact, and great weapons for an additional overdriven attack on units that survive the original charge. The Deamon prince offers great defence with fear, spear and shield (And the fact that he's a behemoth means units attacking the formation have to fight him!)
Expensive, but very much a potential game winner. Other options include making the deamon prince a hero rather than the general(safer), making him a sorceror with timestop(The all-in approach), or including a sorcerer to blink him round the battlefield to where he's needed most!

Just a quick rule question on this - when attacking a behemoth whose joined a non-behemoth unit, would attacks against the hero cause the unit to take damage or disorder tokens? Could the unit end up with both damage and disorder tokens if I then shot the unit with ranged fire?

Point one makes me think a Heroic skirmisher unit that can help the general to garrison somewhere could be great ;) I think Mr Gonzo's got a good point with the cheap General - In our second game my Ork Warboss with his CQd8 never saw combat as being in a good position to order troops was so much more important! A cheap general may be risky but saves points and makes you concentrate on an essential goal - giving orders.
Good to see the General as frail sorcerer/militiary genuis who isn't a warrior is a viable strategy and supported in Mayhem!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Daemon Prince CQd8, BARd12, MVd8, Behemoth, Spear, Shield, general 26
Chaos Chariot CQd8, BARd10, MVd8, Chariot, Great Weapon, Heavy Armour, Musician 32

The Chariot gives great offense with its improved impact, and great weapons for an additional overdriven attack on units that survive the original charge. The Deamon prince offers great defence with fear, spear and shield

That's a really nice build! I'd like to note for others that might be reading this thread that the spear means that most big nasty units and/or cavalry units that try to engage the Daemon Prince in melee will be in for a world of hurt. ;)

Quote:
(And the fact that he's a behemoth means units attacking the formation have to fight him!)

Yes! You hit the nail on the head and that's really key here.

Also, if things are getting really desperate from a complete wipe-out or breaking point angle, then joining a rank-and-file unit will keep any attacks from being made on it. Swarms can make great units for Demon Prince type units to fall back to as they are highly survivable [due to attrition] and not high priority targets. Swarms also make it tough for enemies to get away from you later on if you've had to join the unit! Nurgling swarms anyone?

Quote:
Other options include making the deamon prince a hero rather than the general(safer), making him a sorceror with timestop(The all-in approach), or including a sorcerer to blink him round the battlefield to where he's needed most!

If making the Daemon Prince a hero, then you're sorcerer could be a battle caster and the Daemon Prince a bound behemoth. You could then power his attacks with the powers of Chaos! >:D

Quote:
Just a quick rule question on this - when attacking a behemoth whose joined a non-behemoth unit, would attacks against the hero cause the unit to take damage or disorder tokens? Could the unit end up with both damage and disorder tokens if I then shot the unit with ranged fire?

If the behemoth is the hero, then only the behemoth may be attacked if it's the enemy initiating. This means the only way you could get disorder tokens in this example would be if you initiated combat with the non-behemoth portion of the unit and lost. Don't do it [in melee] unless you absolutely have to! ;D On a related note, a behemoth hero joining a unit of archers means that they are same from attack. ;)

Quote:
A cheap general may be risky but saves points and makes you concentrate on an essential goal - giving orders.

Agreed. You can even use a cheap general to make your in-game economy more efficient. An orc warboss in a bomba, a deffkopta, or just a stormboy will give you a 20inch command range as a flyer. This means that you won't be spending Command points on additional costs.

Quote:
Good to see the General as frail sorcerer/militiary genuis who isn't a warrior is a viable strategy and supported in Mayhem!

8) ;D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, after easter and some other personal stuff. I am back to do mayhem related things.

I have done a basic text format for unit profiles.
Quote:
Army Name: XXX
Leadership: dX
Total Cost: XXX Cr

General
Name: XXXXX Cost: XXX Cr
MOV dx /CQ dx /BAR dx
Designations:
XXX, XXX, XXX
Weapons and Armor:
XXX, XXX, XXX
Traits, Abilities and Gear:
XXX, XXX, XXX

Units
MOV dx /CQ dx /BAR dx
Designations:
XXX, XXX, XXX
Weapons and Armor:
XXX, XXX, XXX
XXX, XXX, XXX

Strongholds
MOV 00 /CQ d10 /BAR d8
siege attrition, XXX, XXX

Spells
Name: XXX Cost: XXX Cr
Upkeep: xx

This is a version without any additiona rules. So what do you think? I am sure I forgot some stuff. Should we make a seperate thread for the development of the army editor?

edit:

an example would be:

Name: Imperial Pikemen Cost: 25 Cr
MOV d8 /CQ d10 /BAR d10
Designations:
Infantry
Weapons and Armor:
Spears
Standart, Musician, Disciplined

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Hi, after easter and some other personal stuff. I am back to do mayhem related things.

Welcome back! :)

Nice work! I think the basic format looks good. It's clean, functional, and uncluttered.As far as starting another topic for builder development, I think it may be a good idea just so all the content in both threads would be easier to follow without having to jump subjects.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Exciting! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Opened a new thread!

viewtopic.php?uid=27012&f=47&t=27335&start=0

Made a quick summary using quotes. Will clean it up after some progress.

Anyway, after some thinking i came to the conclusion that i would really like a sci fi version of mayhem. I really like the level of detail mayhem provides.

And i have a question. Can flyers ignore terrain while moving? We played it like that, but i coudn't find anything about it in the rules.

Last edited by DasBilligeAlien on Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
And i have a quastion. Can flyers ignore terrain while moving? We played it like that, but i coudn't find anything about it in the rules.

Yes.

Quote:
Anyway, after some thinking i came to the conclusion that i would really like a sci fi version of mayhem. I really liek the level of detail mayhem profides.

Then you'll be happy to know that this is happening. ;)

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The BATTLE CHEST edition of MAYHEM, which includes both the core rules and the STRONGHOLD expansion, is now available worldwide in full color print on Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.es, Amazon.fr, Amazon.it, and in the bombshell games site shop. Have fun storming the castle!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Congratulations!

15 Euros is a really good price. Maybe i can convince some guys from my club. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks!

Quote:
15 Euros is a really good price. Maybe i can convince some guys from my club. :)

A physical copy of the rules always makes recruiting new players a bit easier [especially if the price is right!]. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

Only discovered this ruleset this morning, and on a whim, ordered it! I do however have a few questions,

Basing, always a bit of a bugbear, could I use my 10mm stuff on 60mm frontage bases?

Is the depth of the bases important? ie, could a company of archers be on say 60mm - 30mm, and the heavy foot be on 60mm - 60mm?

Characters, generals etc, are these based within units or are they separate on their own smaller bases?

can you tailor the lists to have different sized units, like an orc horde on maybe a 120mm frontage?

Maybe I should have asked before I ordered it eh ;D

Steve

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Only discovered this ruleset this morning, and on a whim, ordered it!

That's the spirit! Glad to have you Steve.

Quote:
Basing, always a bit of a bugbear, could I use my 10mm stuff on 60mm frontage bases?

You can. Although I do have some recommended basing conventions, the system is more than flexible enough to accommodate variations. Based on what you've mentioned so far, I think you're going to be just fine.

Quote:
Is the depth of the bases important? ie, could a company of archers be on say 60mm - 30mm, and the heavy foot be on 60mm - 60mm?

60X30 will work just fine. Ideally, if you have enough miniatures and bases in your collection, then I would place 2 of those bases together to represent a single 60x60 base. It'll work either way, but the square base will make things much cleaner from an interactions perspective.

Quote:
Characters, generals etc, are these based within units or are they separate on their own smaller bases?

You have the option for both [and a few other options]. There's plenty of choice when it comes to heroes and basing.

Quote:
can you tailor the lists to have different sized units, like an orc horde on maybe a 120mm frontage?

Absolutely. Hordes come in multiple sizes depending on whether they are a horde or a 'great' horde. If most of your army was based on 60X60 then a horde would have a 120mm frontage. A great horde would be 120X120.

Quote:
Maybe I should have asked before I ordered it eh ;D

Nah! Jumping in was the right thing to do. ;D I'll make sure that you get to put your armies on the table for some MAYHEM. ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh, exciting!
Won't take long till i treat myself with the printed rule book.

Sure its way too late, but does it have an index page? ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Congrats!

Will have to pick up a copy soon

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Sure its way too late, but does it have an index page? ;)

It is just a wee bit bit late, and no, I'm afraid it doesn't have an index. In my defense, it does have an excellent table of contents! ;D

I'll have to make sure that the sci-fi version has a nice index! ;D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next