Login |  Register |  FAQ

Kickstarting Kings of War

Post subject: Kickstarting Kings of War
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey guys

Was wondering whether you'd heard that Mantic have started a Kickstarter project. The third edition of Kings of War is about to be released and Mantic are raising money to fill out the gaps in the range and release some really cool stuff. All of the pledge levels give significant discounts on RRP as well. It all seems like a really good idea. I'd been out of the hobby for a while, but Kings of War really got me back into it big time. Really balanced, tactical game, really cheap figures and some awesome ideas for the future (their Werewolf and Ogre concepts for starters). Fantastic service on top of that. No chance of me going back to Warhammer now.

The $100 pledge level in particular gives a huge amount of stuff, and at the speed they're reaching their stretch goals there's just going to be more and more free figures. Just thought I'd do my bit for the community and let people know - the more money they make, the more I get :)

If you want to pledge or just have a look, here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1744629938/kings-of-war

What are people's thoughts on Kings of War here?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Kickstarting Kings of War
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote:

I'd like to support them so much, but games are about miniatures for me, and from the pictures on their site the quality of the sculpts has never been evident enough to prompt me to purchase :( i'd love to be convinced otherwise, and they do have some nice figs (ghouls, new gobbos etc) but they are mixed in with some very poor offerings.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:22 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I ended up supporting Ogre, and took a look at this when I saw it. The rules seem like they would be better suited for a 6/10mm game given there's no casualty removal. I probably won't end up supporting it as I can't myself painting a 28mm for a game no one around plays. I already do that with 6mm and 10mm figures... :P

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
I'd like to support them so much, but games are about miniatures for me, and from the pictures on their site the quality of the sculpts has never been evident enough to prompt me to purchase

Unfortunately Mantic's photography has never been up to scratch. The majority of the figures are so much better once they're in your hand. I'll agree there are some misses, such as the Drakons, but most of their stuff is a lot better than you'd think. Their recent restic stuff in particular has been stunning.

What armies are you interested in?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mad Orc wrote:

I didn't like the edition you could download for free. I thought the rule mechanics were overly simplistic and blatantly geared towards driving model sales. I'm also not a big fan of whole unit removal even though I do like the oppotunity it gives for constructing unit dioramas.

I will say this though, don't judge their figures on the pictures you get at their website. I've seen them at shows and they look a lot better in the flesh, so to speak.

Overall, if I got an invite to a game I'd totally go see what it was about because it seldom pays to judge a book by its cover.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:21 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Mad Orc wrote:
What armies are you interested in?

Could do with some dwarfs really – *interested* in more, but the ones i'd actually consider buying are the dwarfs. Unfortunately these are some of the worst looking.