Login |  Register |  FAQ

Warmachine: Cryx force suggestions

Post subject: Warmachine: Cryx force suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have just started playing Warmachine and am building up a Cryx force and was wondering if people had any suggestions regarding what works best for this faction. At present i'm playing against Khador and Cygnar. i've got the basic force box (Slayer,2 Deathrippers,a Defiler, and Deneghra.) and a Leviathan. Also have 10 Mechanithralls and Asphyxious on the way. Given what i have and what i'm playing against does anyone have any suggestions regarding what i should add next? Both my opponents have similarily small forces consisting of the bare basics. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Warmachine: Cryx force suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

sadly, I only ever played Warmachine 1.0.

got some cryx stuff if you're intrested though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I play WM, but I don't have much experience with Cryx.

Bane Thralls with Tartarus seems to be a very popular choice though. Weapon Masters with Stealth and Dark Shroud seems pretty ridiculous. You should probably have a look at another solo or two, but I don't know which solos are good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

the short answer is deathjack.
the slightly longer answer is nightmare is also good
banes and tartarus are popular, stalkers are great (esp with mortenebra, see 'deathjack and nightmare above)
also you'll definitely be wanting a skarlok

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

He's already got 3 bonejacks and 2 helljacks, isn't it time to get some infantry? While very good, deathjack and nightmare will only replace the Slayer and Leviathan he already has.

Unless he goes for Mortenebra and her jack circus of course.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i used to* take the deathjack instead of a slayer sometimes (or alongside two others with eSkarre or goreshade or of course, morty)
he's got mechanithralls in the mail
and its always time for more jacks.

(*i say used to, because i dont exactly play mk2 anymore)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any banes and tartarus are never a bad idea are they? And as the op has gaspy on the way he will want some cold dead bodies to re-animate!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm thinking that 5 jacks is plenty for now, at least until you get a 'jack caster like Mortenebra. 10 McThralls could be enough infantry, but Banes are never wrong - I'd say it's better to have two infantry units and 5 jacks than one unit and 7 jacks.

Skarloc sounds good though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I love Warmachine models. The first time I saw the first launch figures I was hooked- especially the jacks, Man O'War, Iron Fang Pikemen, Stormblades...... I started with Cygnar and Khador, but soom got lured into some Mercs and then when Hordes came out, I loved the Trollbloods and Skorne.

I got put off by the introduction of WM Mk2, having already bought the Warmachine Prime and Remix books, not to mention 2 separate releases of Cygnar cards. When I get made redundant I stopped collecting the figures, so my collection is primarily older figures. I did eventually succumb and picked up the Cygnar force book and the Mk2 Cygnar cards (the 3rd such release).

We had a slow grow league that started in the spring, which I was able to play for a couple of months before being out of work meant I could nt go regularly to gaming club. With effectively 11 factions and with each faction having multiple casters there are just so many permutations and combos. I enjoy the game but I find it does nt reward casual play. And there are so many games I want to keep up with that I can't play Warmachine that often. It's a shame because I love the figures.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@ MaddOctOrr,
if you are interested in getting rid of the Cryx stuff that you have then contact me and let me know what you have. i can't promise that i'll buy it all but am interesting to add new units. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Warcasters? There appears to be a great deal of variety amongst them, some look like close combat monsters and others appear to be more support orientated. Given my current opponents (Cygnar and Khador) does anyone have any suggestions? By the sounds of it the sooner i get into combat the better so that makes me a little dubious re the support ones, then again i'm still finding my feet and trying to work out my play style. Have been playing WH40K for 20 years (omg, that makes me feel far older than i am) and have had a great deal of success with both Tyranids and (more recently) Dark Eldar so i've had practice using both horde assault based forces and fast but fragile assault forces. However the Cryx stuff makes the Dark Eldar seem positively robust by comparison, especially compared to the Khador faction. Any tactical advice aside from getting as much stuff with Stealth into my list?
Also what do people think of the tiered forces? Personally i love a well themed list (hangup from all that WH40K) but the tiered list look pretty restrictive. Are the benefits worth the restrictions?
Thanks,
sla'vek.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cryx have the best selection of casters in the game, at least the largest number of broken ones! I'd recommend checking out privateer press' own forums, they should have a writeup there on the different 'casters (and units too). Head to the Cryx Community section of the forums.

Tiers vary - some are strong, some are horribly weak. Mostly they give up flexibility and have a critical weakness or two, but gain situationally powerful advantages.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:17 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have faced Cryx quite a few times with my Cygnar and think I have lost all but one game. They are typically fast, high defence (so very hard to hit) and with a lot of tricks. If you want toplay a manuverable sneaky army then Cryx is undoubtedly the best choice.

I won't comment on the individual casters and units as don't know enough about each one. But even the basic battlebox caster and jacks are still useful and often are still used even when people playing larger games- good solid choices.

I am in 2 minds of the tier lists. On the one hand many of the tier lists don't seem consistent with what we have seen in the background story arc and seem designed simply to sell more of less popular models by forcing you to take 1-2 of that jack/unit. On the other hand I like the idea of themed armies and some of the tier lists both fit well with the background of that character and also are highly effective.

Some of the times you might want to restrict yourself say to just a Tier 2 themed list, as the Tier 3/4 requirements might be too onerous for the models you have/want to field.

Cheers

James