Login |  Register |  FAQ

The White Hand vs The White Tower

Post subject: The White Hand vs The White Tower
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Last night we had a friendly grudge match with Brooksey bringing a new version of his Elite Gondor army specifically tooled up to face Isengard (although it would do well against anything IMHO!). The armies lists are below this post.

THE WHITE HAND VS THE WHITE TOWER

An army of Gondor meets the host of Isengard in rough country near an abandoned tower. The forces must break through one another's lines in order to muster the full might of their armies before the invasion of Rohan.
MISSION: Reconoitre/get as many of your own men passed the enemy and off their table edge.

Uruk-hai pour through the gaps in the edge of the forest, spurred on by the voice of Saruman:
You do not know fear, you do not no pain, you shall taste Man Flesh!

Boromir and Faramir lead from the rear of the disciplined formation of Gondorians. These are elite troops, called from the Citadel Guard and boosted by Guardians of the fountain court whose Mithril Armour is sufficient to deflect the blows of even enraged Uruk Hai.

Brooksey (Gondor) 'OPENING ROUNDS: I tried to be very coy in these first few turns, advancing and retreating as I didn't want to hit the Isengard lines until I had crippled a few of the Wargs, a couple of frontline Uruks and the main prize; Saruman. I never really committed Boromir to any engagement for this first part in the hope that Matt would eventually come after him, over extend Saruman so I could unhorse him with bows then counterattack...'

The traitor Grimma Wormtongue blocks a narrow gap in the terrain. The Gondorians cannot kill this turncoat, and are forced to divert around or risk horses in rough terrain.

Citadel guard fire long bows into the air, the high strength bows striking enough urukhai down that they are forced them to change direction.

Brooksey (Gondor)' THE FIGHT ITSELF: Initially for Gondor it went superbly. The GOFC cut a swathe of Uruks down thanks to Faramir's reroll and the "TGA Dice of Death" which were incredibly lucky. On the flipside, for this first part Matt couldn't kill a Gondorian. Matt split off a chunk of his forces including Lurtz into the Rangers so, seeing how the initial conflict went so well, sent Faramir and others to aid the Rangers. Funnily enough things ended up going backwards for the fight I was most confident about but the Gondorians managed to lance Lurtz rather quickly.'

With sorcerous words Saruman blasts a knight into other cavalry, killing the rider as their horses flee the field.

The lines collide, with Faramir's inspiration causing the Gondorians to fight all the harder with extra attacks. Casualties are high, with far more uruks falling than men. The uruks take advantage of priority to regroup with their crossbowmen and come back in greater numbers.

Saruman repeatedly immobilises Boromir, who takes wounds in combat but survives to later break through the line with a heroic combat and catch Saruman. Knocking him to the ground, Boromir caused 4 wounds but it was not Saruman's fate to die as he saved 2 of them.

Brooksey (Gondor) 'Boromir was pretty well fated as Saruman simply couldn't immobilise him or when he did, the Uruks didn't want to hurt the poor Gondorian leader. Boromir eventually ended up in the thick of it, calling a heroic combat then having to spend 4pts of Might just to kill a single Warg in order to hit Saruman. Saruman was trampled, lost 2 wounds, all of his Fate and Might at Boromirs onslaught.'

Seeking his revenge, Saruman immobilises Boromir and traps him with uruk-hai, then uses his staff of power as a two handed to kill the Hero before the crossbowmen even need to draw their daggers.

An arrow to the eye brings Saruman down, as both sides break at the same time. Casualties on both sides have been massive, but lacking their leader the Uruks and orcs flee faster than the Gondorians.

The game ended in a very hard fought draw, having been close at all stages. I found the new elite Gondor list Brooksey has cooked up to be a real challenge and definitely a worthy opponent for any evil force.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The White Hand vs The White Tower
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice

Our group has been meaning to try out 'War of the Ring' in 10mm or even 18mm.

A report like this just makes me think that we should be doing it sooner rather than later...

Great report

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

Profile Send private message