Login |  Register |  FAQ

Impressions on Confrontation/Rag-Narok?

Post subject: Impressions on Confrontation/Rag-Narok?
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:21 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the evarlasting search of the holy grail of gaming I recently bought Rackham's mass battle game (Rag-Narok).

I have not yet read the rules through but so far (apart from the use of d6 but that's just a minor annoyance) I very much like what I see and the background is among the best, too.

However, I'd like to hear first hand accounts on both Rag-Narok and Confrontation if anybody here plays them. How do they play? Are there any quirks in the rules? The good points? and so on.

Personally I have mixed feelings about the mini lines. All are very well sculpted from technical POV but some of the lines are, well, too cartoony for my taste. Both kinds of dwarves are the worst. Goblins are a close second but being goblins the effect is somewhat lessened if you know what I mean.  :)

Plus I absolutely hate the "lingerie armor" on about all of the female models but I guess they know what sells well. That said, most of the minis range from OK to superb.

My favorite lines are the Alahans and the Cynw?ll elves. The Orcs are good as are Griffins and Kelts. I hate the dwarves.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I found the Dwarves macabre, rather than cartoony - so (guess what) I like them :p
As for the rest - they have some very nice stuff - I'm paintinf up a fire elemental at the moment, and it IS nice!

Not played the game, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 6:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have gone for the Griffins and Wolfen as the races which appeal the most to me. I think they are the 2 biggest and longest selling ranges, and I think the highest selling ranges.

The Lions of Alahan and Cynwall Elves both look absolutely gorgeous but I am realistic enough to know they are beyond my painting standard (to do the models justice) for the immediate future.

Have tried to play Confrontation at my local gaming club- found difficult to pick up the rules. Also tried a demo at Salute that seemed a bit easier but have n't had a chance to play since.

I think I need to find someone who knows the rules, play serveral times in initial couple of months to sink in.

Look forward to seeing whether anyone else has easier exepriences with Confrontation.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (wargame_insomniac @ 18 May 2006 (18:10))
The Lions of Alahan and Cynwall Elves both look absolutely gorgeous but I am realistic enough to know they are beyond my painting standard (to do the models justice) for the immediate future.

If I cared for things like that I would never paint anything.  :(8:

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Incidentally, these are my only complete models. The wossernames - The Viper of the Desert and three Sentinels of Danakil. I originally thought the cards would be a hindrance to enjoying the game, then realised that Epic Space Marine and Man O War both had cards (the latter occupying masses of space!), and that didn't stop me.

Incidentally, my only other models are three Wolfen, 3 very aquatic familiars, 3 Grifonian Fusiliers, and the fire elemental. Fourteen models in all. I might find tie to paint these, at least before buying more...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, now that I've read the rules I'm not as impressed as before. There are some good rules but some seem needlessly complicated, although it has nowhere the amount of exceptions Warhammer has.

Without having played the game (i.e. on paper) it gives the impression of being "average". I still like the minis (save teh dwarves) and think the background is excellent.

As for Confrontation, one person who has played it gave his impression when I asked and it amounted to "After the game started, all figures were soon bunched up at the middle of the table. Not much tactics in there". While this result does not have any statistical signifigance it does make it easier to refrain from buying the new rules.  :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: University of Essex, Colchester, UK (soon to be Brighton, Sussex, UK)
if you want female characters go to INFINITY THE GAME

THERE you have pewter women ;) Slightly OOT, but you were mentioning women so....

On Confrontation, I have mixed reports. I made a playtest, charged with 3 of those large wolf-like dudes into an enemy swordsman. Dice were rolled, dust raised and settled and the only remaining guy was the swordsman. I was quite shocked that overwhelming odds and better positioning ended with all my dudes dead. I do not really like it, it seems.

However, some of my friends LOVE it. So dunno really.

regards,

Xavi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Xavi @ 14 June 2006 (21:51))
However, some of my friends LOVE it. So dunno really.

I guess the guy with the swordsman is one of these...  :/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:26 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I have a serious look at Confrontation a while ago, when I was searching for a Fantasy skirmish game. The minis are really nice, but I couldnt shake the feeling that the rules were just pretty ordinary, and seemed like the majority of other rules out there. This, coupled with the lack of campaign rules in the third edition pushed me away from it (although I did end up getting Warlord, which seems OK but I have not yet played it!).

There was a lot of good conversation about Hybrid, and I remain very tempted to pick this up!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

By the unholy powers of the Internet, I command this thread to LIIIIIIIIIVE!
(Apologies for Threadomancy)

Confrontation has beautiful minis, but having watched several games in the last week I can say that the whole roll-to-wound thing is excessively complicated.  

HTH Combat Example
Roll Initiative, Loser places dice first (representing the fighter's tactics that round)
Winner then deals one attack to each model in B2B, then opponent deals one attack to each model, then winner deals remaining attacks, then opponent deals remaining attacks.

For each attack:
Roll to hit (if the opponent doesn't use one of his dice to defend, don't roll a 1.  If he does defend, both players add a d6 to their WS, higher result wins)
Assuming a successful hit, roll 2d6.  Add strength to higher die roll, subtract target's Resistance, and compare that number to a chart, looking at the lower die for Hit Location.  Possible Results:  Stunned (-1 to actions this round), Lightly Wounded (-1 to all actions until wound state changes), Seriously Wounded, (-2 to all actions), Critically Wounded (-3 to all actions), and Dead Outright.
Wound penalties are applied immediately.

It just seems that combat resolution is painfully slow, and that's not what I want from a game.

Honestly, Exalted v2 combat goes much quicker, and that's including time to 'Stunt' for bonus dice, rolling a bajillion d10 (My combat pool was in the neighborhood of 15 dice before adding magical Charms, and it went up dang rapidly from there), and figuring all the other modifiers out.  Even Infinity uses the 'wound and you're hors d'combat, not necessarily dead, but out of the fight' combat mechanic.