Login |  Register |  FAQ

FOW Sci-fi

Post subject: FOW Sci-fi
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hey I had the crazy idea of using GZG's 15mm line, or my very own epic figs, to adopt a generic sci-fi rules using the flames of war mechanics.

The only thing I had to "think" about was power armor.  

Now in my mind power armor is big combat suits, not the normal space marine armor.  So I said they always have bulletproff cover but have a gun save vs and infantry save.  They would also not get a movement penalty for firing their basic weapon while moving.

Well there you have my crazy idea.  

Take Care

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Luis,

If you really like the FOW game mechanics, I'm sure you could find enough 15mm sci-fi figures. Dafrca runs two or three 15mm E-groups... you should check them out.

I have a small batch of 10mm and 15mm sci-fi robot miniatures and they could just as easily be power armor for your games. Check out the manufacturers. Traveller and Laserburn immediately come to mind.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:52 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It'sot so much a reflection of the rules, which I think are preety good, but more of an acknowledgement that it's really hard to get 10 people to play under one rule system.

Last weekend I introduiced the FOW mechanics to eight new people at my club.  Many expressed a desire to get into the game system and the era.

If can draw upon that rules knowledge and suceess to play other genre's so much the better,

We are/were a preety strong Napoleons battle group as such one of the guys adopted the rules for English Civil War, Seven years war, Renaisance, and US Civil War.

Iy was realivilty easy to play those alternative versons becasue people are famialr with the fundamentals.

I hope it works well here as well.  So we can "bring new blood" into are gaming group.

So I hope we can use the system for modern and sci-fi.

IT also works with minis.  We can use are WWII minins to play Gear Krieg.  I hope to adopt a air combat game and a skimish level game we play at the club and use my epic and 40K figures.  

I can hope anyway... :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Thats a pretty interesting idea.

How would you deal with psychics and such?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:26 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I would what this rule set as more as a "hard" sci-fi as opposed to 40K.  So on that level I wouldn't to deal with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Ah, I see.

Why not use stargrunt II? Its pretty hard core "realistic" sci-fi?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:44 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Yes I have Stargrunt and I consider it one of the better rule systems out there.  

But Stargrunt is also a skirmish level game.  I wanted to go one organizational step up.   :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Cuban Commissar @ 10 Feb. 2006 (18:00))
Hey I had the crazy idea of using GZG's 15mm line, or my very own epic figs, to adopt a generic sci-fi rules using the flames of war mechanics.

The only thing I had to "think" about was power armor.  

Now in my mind power armor is big combat suits, not the normal space marine armor.  So I said they always have bulletproff cover but have a gun save vs and infantry save.  They would also not get a movement penalty for firing their basic weapon while moving.

Well there you have my crazy idea.  

Take Care

Interesting. You've pretty much had the same idea as I did when I toyed with playing 40k with FoW rules.

My idea was that regular SM armour is the equivalent of bulletproof cover while Terminators have a special save as well in addition to being able to move and fire without penalty.

Now what was it they say about great minds and how they think?  :devil:  :;):

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (Cuban Commissar @ 13 Feb. 2006 (16:44))
Yes I have Stargrunt and I consider it one of the better rule systems out there. ?

But Stargrunt is also a skirmish level game. ?I wanted to go one organizational step up. ? :D

I loved SG2 and once upon a time I played it every fortnight for 2 years.  We had over a dozen playersm each with different armies and had a fantastic campaign system going.  I also think its one of the very best skirmish/squad level games going.

But yes, there is a big gap at the Platoon level type game.  We started playing 15mm SciFi with te Crossfire Rules but that died out rather rapidly because of the lack of vehicle integration

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:10 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Tas,

That SGII campaign sounded really cool.  What scale of minis did you guys use?

What size games did you guys typically play.  How many vehcles did you play with?

I also think Crossfire is really neat.  But I can see having a hard time adopting it to Sci-fi.  Hard to account for armor differences.  

Mojarn Piett,

Maybe crazy/great minds think a like.   :D

I thought of the very same thing as you did.  Here is my refined thinking.

Space Marines are always considered being in bullet proof cover.

Terminators same thing but the firepower roll gets a -1 on the die. sixes always succed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That SGII campaign sounded really cool.  What scale of minis did you guys use?

25mm - the vast majority of which were the GZG figs made by my Mate Nic at Eureka Miniatures

What size games did you guys typically play.  How many vehcles did you play with?

Typically reinforced platoon sized games (3 line squads, HQ Section, + a support squad or 2) with 2-4 vehicles per side.  Games were wrapped up well within 3 hours

The biggest game we had though was a battalion sized game with 3 players per side, each with a company +!  And on call arty, fighter support etc That took about 8 hours on a mammoth 24'x8' table :;):

I also think Crossfire is really neat.  But I can see having a hard time adopting it to Sci-fi.  Hard to account for armor differences.  

Me too, and that was exactly the problem.  Great infantry rules, but not enough of the extras (like armour and artillery) we needed for our games

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,if you are wanting sqd level & above,why not try the Hellfire rules by Jim Webster?OK,so he is of the PBI school of the down & dirty lo-tech side,but a very good set of 6mm rules.If however you want the hi-tech side,try Iron Cow by Steve Blease,published by Wessex Games.Quick and simple,easier &simpler than Epic.Let me know what you think.          :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I have those rules, picked them up online through a vendor. Very simple and look like a lot of fun.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (deadlock @ 10 Mar. 2006 (21:10))
Hi,if you are wanting sqd level & above,why not try the Hellfire rules by Jim Webster?OK,so he is of the PBI school of the down & dirty lo-tech side,but a very good set of 6mm rules.If however you want the hi-tech side,try Iron Cow by Steve Blease,published by Wessex Games.Quick and simple,easier &simpler than Epic.Let me know what you think.          :cool:

I tried to order Hellfire from Wessex Games and was told it is OOP with no new print runs in the foreseeable future.

Iron Cow I will pick up at some time, although I hear Steve is going to do a 2nd edition at some time. However, I'm not holding my breath yet as he has his hands full with certain other projects at the moment.  :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mojarn Piett,try Irregular Miniatures for Hellfire,he may have some copies left.The game system is scenario driven not points driven.This allows you to field a crack unit(vastly outnumbered)to hold a vital objective against superior odds.Your crack unit will have better overall morale than the attacker,and might just last until relieved.           :cool: