Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sci-Fi Egyptian Armoured Warriors??

Post subject: Re: Sci-Fi Egyptian Armoured Warriors??
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sure green uniforms with black body armor would work fine. And MP5s fire 9mm pistol cartridges where the P-90 is 5.7mm Assault Rifle rounds, closer to the M16/M4s 5.56mm round ... Remember an Assault Rifle round is longer than a pistol rounds, even though 9mm projectile is larger than 5.7, in diameter. But 9mm in the HK MP5 (and Uzi) is a short pistol cartridge ... And a full 7.62mm rifle (M14, M60, M240) or assault rifle rounds (AK-47) are smaller in diameter then 9mm but longer in cartridge and projectile length which equals more range and knock down power ... A rifle round is as long as my middle finger, an assualt rifle round is as long as my little finger. And a pistol round shorter than my thumb ... Hope that helps ...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

captPiett wrote:
wargame_insomniac wrote:
Legion 4 wrote:
Here's a link with US camo patterns for uniforms, scroll down to the latter examples - http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=USA

Nice one. Thanks L4.

So have got:
U.S. Air Force Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) in either a green or black variant
Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform (MCCUU)
Army Combat Uniform (ACU)

So, I've got a couple of uniform observations for you to take or leave as you see fit:

While in Afghanistan as a dirt sailor I noticed that the predominant uniform was OCPs, or "operation enduring freedom camouflage pattern" (gotta love the acronym within an acronym! :D ), with most services wearing it. I was embedded with a US Army brigade, and the only things that distinguished me from the soldiers were my patches. Besides being easier to paint at 28mm, IMO they're much better than the current ACUs, which are meant for blending into many environments but blend into none. With a lot of brown/tan in them, OCPs blend into a desert background quite well despite having a lot of green. The navy is moving away from aquaflage (good riddance. Not fire retardant?!? What were they thinking?). The NWU type 2 is reserved for SEALs and Seabees, as it looks identical to the USMC digital desert pattern. The Air Force guys I encountered all wore the OCPs as well, as their "battle" uniform is not suitable for field use. The navy has moved to the type 3, which is a digital swampy-green pattern. They're meant to replace BDUs for the Seabees and small boat guys. The BDUs were still visible around bases a couple years ago. I've even seen state police swat teams in OCPs.

The upshot of all this is that you can justify whatever pattern suits the fictional environment best. Most of the services end up in the same uniform near the front lines. As far as weapons are concerned, most had M4s, but some were issued an m16 "musket". The army NCOs and officers were the ones that had m9s, but Air Force and Navy of all ranks were more likely to have both m4s and '9s. That may be a good way to distinguish members of a joint team. Most of the m4s issued had some sort of optics on them as well. I was surprised by the numbers of army guys with "muskets" (that term still brings a smile to my face), but I guess the reserves/guard still use them.

Yes, the US military went thru a number of iterations of camo uniforms from Gulf War I, GW II and the 'stan to now ... go figure ! Too much money to spend ! Calling the M16 a musket is amusing. The M4 is basically a modifed M16 ... Back in my day when the US ARMY was going to the original pattern BDU, it came to a point where I could wear the BDU, my old camo jungle fatigues or green jungle fatigues that I had in the 101.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:
Legion 4 wrote:
Here's a link with US camo patterns for uniforms, scroll down to the latter examples - http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=USA

Nice one. Thanks L4.

Ooof. There's a lot of options there. Will have to work out which will be easy to paint.

Further browsing came across this page:
http://stargate-wiki.org/wiki/Uniform

So have got:
U.S. Air Force Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) in either a green or black variant
Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform (MCCUU)
Army Combat Uniform (ACU)

Off to do further research.....

Cheers

James
Always do what works for you ... or the easiest ... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:35 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks L4.

I am now googling the net to see if I can find any photos of your fingers to determine how long they are!!

:)

Have just been down to post office to pick up my package. Kudos to Cold war minis- very quick service. Glad that had been forewarned that Phoenix Jaffa are small 25mm. They are really small but lovely detailed. Bought Stargate plus all important DHD and two of each of Jaffa packs. The Phoenix Jaffa heavy cannon and SG teams will have to wait until after payday.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I noticed that the actors stopped wearing their lids a couple seasons in. I remember, at that time, reading that they preferred to not wear them as they were too bulky and covered their faces partly. Not sure if it's true, but being paid as much as they did, and being actors and all, it makes a bit of sense.

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wargame_insomniac wrote:
Thanks L4.

I am now googling the net to see if I can find any photos of your fingers to determine how long they are!!

:)

Have just been down to post office to pick up my package. Kudos to Cold war minis- very quick service. Glad that had been forewarned that Phoenix Jaffa are small 25mm. They are really small but lovely detailed. Bought Stargate plus all important DHD and two of each of Jaffa packs. The Phoenix Jaffa heavy cannon and SG teams will have to wait until after payday.

Cheers

James

Indeed ...

Attachments:
Teal'c.jpg
Teal'c.jpg [ 4.51 KiB | Viewed 3728 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hasslefree has an amazing SG-01 Team
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=s ... n-troopers

They also have a great collection of weapns and such.
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category= ... sci%252dfi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Aye. I mentioned Hasslefree earlier in thread . What put me off was cost per mini for generic sci-fiv/ near future soldiers. But I have spent weekend googling my various options for SG teams. Found some painted up and they looked amazing. Better detailed and propotioned than Phoenix official packs, and no more expensive than Phoenix.

I may well skip the Phoenix generic SG team and just buy their official SG1 pack, mainly to have Teal'c with staff weapon which Hasslefree not-Teal'c does not have (but Hasslefree does have pair P90's which gather would be better for later seasons).

Plus main upside of Hasslefree is theit small size. They seem to be the smallest out of EM4 Corporate Guards, TAG Swat or Eureka Swat. Will fit in best with tiny Phoenix Jaffa.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Started painting dozen Jaffa and Prime. Assembled, based and undercoated them last weekend. Did desrt bases and chainmail today.

Now googling to look for suitable colours to differentiate the Serpent and Falcon Guards (as i am mixing in some unhelmeted Jaffa with each group).

Also ordered a small Pyramid and checking out Sarcophagi for next Payday.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds like fun !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Making slow progress on painting Serpent Guards. Have ink washed armour. Next need to paint unhelmeted heads and highlight armour and they will be close to being ready for tabletop.

Pyramid arrived last week, with fortunately no customs charges. Just under 7" square by 6" tall, with optional entrance chamber. Looks like nice durable resin and already painted and varnished. Ready for use straight away.

Then yesterday my package arrived from Monolith. Stargate with both iris and warp effect. Both types of Sarchophagi and also Coverstone from movie. They will need a touch of work cleaning up before painting, but no more than usual for garage kits (I have had worse from Forgeworld).

According to Hasslefree, their last two modern troopers with P-90's should be available at the end of the month. Hopefully in time for Payday!!

Slowly coming together.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Your Stargate oddessy continues ... The Free Jaffa' would be proud ... ;D