Login |  Register |  FAQ

Read it and weep....

Post subject: Read it and weep....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bummmer....

Saw this posted on the SG forum as well. It looks as though we will see (yet another) price jump with GW products. ...I think that settles it: I'll buy my last batch of GW stuff before April...

Cheers!

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Unbelievable...

thats A$25 for a basic blister, and I just cannot afford that without giving up the majority of my other gaming aspects.

My ECW Blog: http://declaresir.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What's the betting that none of the eldar stuff will be released before April?
I guess pre-order quick is the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Thanks to ebay I rarely find myself ordeing direct from GW any more. Looks like I will have to do 1 last big order from UK Mail Order at end of March and then just concentrate on painting what I have already got.
That will take me long enough! :blush:

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The "good" news is that Eldar is in all likelihood the last army that will present any interest (new models) for old timers : Chaos and Nids will use the old models, and after that the bright people at GW Sales will wonder why EA isn't selling (perhaps because 0 promotion means no new gamers, and old gamers have no interest in ultra-expensive rehashed models), and axe it for good. Don't count on seeing any Taus besides FW stuff, or Necrons.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I always planned on being "selective" about E:A, only buying the new and different stuff ...   ???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

?18 for a regiment? They were ?12 not long ago...

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is simply ridiculous.
I am going to get the Eldar stuff as planned. Hopefully most of it will be released before April. My guess is that the stuff available for pre-order from the french site will go up tomorrow on the UK site. Most of the new stuff will hopefully follow in March with only a few codes left behind.

The Feral Orks are going to suffer though. I am not going to get any new minis for that army except perhaps the Steam Gargant.
As for BFG I''ll probably make a single large order before April. The price hike also means that I won't get into Warmaster or 5 Armies as I had originallly considered.
It's E-bay spiced up with a bit of Forge World from now on on my account.

Cheers!

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's E-bay spiced up with a bit of Forge World from now on on my account.

I think I'll also do a BFG order (finish my SM and Corsair Eldar armies, get a little Craftworld Eldar) with a few EA models (next batch of Eldars maybe, plus some character packs), and that's it (apart from orders at FW when they do some no-shipping fees sales, once or twice a year). I'll then spend some time painting what I've in stock (should take me a few years) and when GW finally puts EA out of misery (which IMHO will happen, there's no way they can sustain the interest with rehashed models and a new price hike), I'll get some bargain price stuff from Ebay.

I was thinking of starting Warmaster (I have a few High Elves models that I bought mostly for painting) and expanding into BFG (starting one or two other fleets), but there's no way I can do this... Congratulations GW.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just tried to Pre-order or at least find out about Swordwind and the MO Troll reckens its delayed for a Month :(  there are no guarantees that it will be a month delay. I do hope its a guy or doesnt know what he is talking about although he is disappointed himself as he wants the Titan and new Eldar units

Damn!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gah..... :(

Better get that BFG stuff for TOFG ordered soon then.....

Back when I started collecting GW stuff in 1998, multipart regiment sets were ?10 a box....
Now, plastic and mould costs really haven't gone up +80% in 6 years, or have they?  :L

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Can anyone tell me what the "old prices" equate to? Obviously, I now know what the new prices will be, but I don't know how much, for instance, a "D" blister costs now

(not being in the UK)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Hmmm..... I wonder if the price increases have anything to do with decreasing revenues that were posted for last year.....

...just a thought.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This effectively curtails my GW expenditure drastically. No new stuff for a long time, barring the odd model which I cannot do without, and a few rule books. I'm beginning to believe the only affordable GW games are those with few models - BFG, Man O'War (if it still existed), Space Hulk, Blood Bowl, Mordheim, Necromunda and Inquisitor. Games such as the mainstream or Epic or Warmaster are only sort-of-affordable if you are not a collector, and are happy to assemble a single force to tournament play size, or perhaps slightly more. It's said, because I've been collecting stuff for 11 years now; now it's time to just sit down and paint. I won't venture into ebay, as I waste too much time there. I'm currently investigating (and investing in) Aeronefs, but that's it. Well ok, I'm planning a new Mordheim warband too, but it's unlikely I'll order models, unless I grab a few before the price rise.
Sad. :(

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 01 2005 Feb.,15:42)
Hi!

Hmmm..... I wonder if the price increases have anything to do with decreasing revenues that were posted for last year.....

...just a thought.

Probably. And they think they can afford it because of their "Attract/Pressure/Discard" attitude toward their "mainstream" customers.

I recently watched a GW staff introduce a couple of kids to WHFB, it was very impressive from a marketing standpoint, especially how he managed not to give a straight answer to the "how much is it going to cost ?" questions from the mom...  :D

Recently I started wondering whether the fact that each new edition of WHFB and WH40K pisses off a large amount of customers because of balance/rules changes wasn't part of a kind of "planned obsolescence", that would encourage phasing out older customers (ask for more support, generally more vocal voices, consume less) in favor of new ones.

Also worth noting is the explicit focus of the "new", "improved" Fanatic on recruiting new customers. While this may sound good news (and I'm all for bringing new blood to the game(s)), this kind of speech coming from GW rings an alarm bell for me, as it can be interpreted as "let's apply the Attract/Pressure/Discard method to SG too", especially after having announced that Chaos and Tyranids would be released using mostly/exclusively older models (which means sales will tank with regard to older gamers, moreso with the announced price hike).