Login |  Register |  FAQ

Where do I send Epic 'new guys'

Post subject: Re: Where do I send Epic 'new guys'
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's only logical at this time. Exodus Wars rules are virtually a clone of EA. Exodus Wars has it's own line of minis that isn't threatening to go OOP or vanish. There is a player base that seems to be growing. Exodus Wars, love them or hate them, seem to have a good business head on their shoulders at this time and aren't going anywhere soon.

Sure, the GW aesthetic isn't there (oh noes, no moody space elves! or forces of randomness that seem to be more rigid in their structure and ethos than some of the good guys!). And, quite frankly, that's a good thing. People need to be weaned off of GW's teat and realize that it's not the best, it's not the only thing out there, and it's never treated them with any respect and love and never will.

So, do I get free stuff for this? :)

Tau Empire, Mymeara Eldar, Tallarn Desert Raiders

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Markconz wrote:
Dave wrote:
http://www.net-armageddon.org/

Yep, that's the logical site. Has links to other areas of interest.

+1 Seems the best place to point new/old people to.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We all have our own preferences which is why I reckon a fixed post on each section of the forum for new players may be a good idea...

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

splash wrote:
Sure, the GW aesthetic isn't there (oh noes, no moody space elves! or forces of randomness that seem to be more rigid in their structure and ethos than some of the good guys!). And, quite frankly, that's a good thing. People need to be weaned off of GW's teat and realize that it's not the best, it's not the only thing out there, and it's never treated them with any respect and love and never will.

Considering that Epic used to be a core game, and was very well supported by GW back in the first half of the 1990s, to say that GW has never treated Epic, or the people who play it, with any respect is false. Yes, there has been a lack of respect in more recent times, but it wasn't always so.

I disagree with you about aesthetics as well in relation to those races you mention, but I've said enough about that in another thread

There ought to be room for everyone, so trying to exclude people, on the basis that they might like GW's aesthetic, which to my mind is what you're implying, isn't helpful in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I never claimed that the disrespect was always there in regards to all of epic. Where did you get that from? I am not dwelling in the past, all I am referring to is the current here and now. This incarnation of GW has not treated its customers with the respect they deserve. I'll stand by that till the bitter end.

And I'm not implying that ANYONE should be excluded. Never for a moment. Potential players/collectors need their eyes opened to everything other than GW. It's a big miniatures universe now and we don't need to huddle in one corner of it any longer. That's trying to INCLUDE everyone, quite the opposite of what you misread.

But, hey, I know I'm right. GW turns its back on its customers, then those customers should turn to something else. Plain and simple.

AH, I see how you might have read into my post the way you did. I'll try to type clearer next time so this won't happen again.

Thank you for your response.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have misread your post, in view of what you intended to say, so apologise all round. The perils of the written word.

Just to add too that I do agree with you that if there are good alternative miniatures available from other companies, it's important to add a wide range of said companies, in order to be as inclusive as possible. The more options that there are, the more chance there is that everyone will find something which they like.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No troubles. Internet text does not do a very good job of delivering intent, and I keep forgetting that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cross post from another thread but topical to this discussion

I find this exact post from a relatively low count poster (if not new) forum member to be sad and should be a wake up call for all of us to make things clear and engaging if we want to grow and maintain EA/NetEpic here.
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=19105&start=25
xen3 wrote:
Thanks i did not know that list existed [note: referring to the Compendium]. that is a great resource.
PAX

While it all seems clear to people that have been here for a whiles we're obviously failing in some respects.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good point Jimmy. Was thinking if people don't think pinning "clean" threads to the top of each section is the way to go, a new section could maybe be created on the home/index page under the Tactical Command Updates, call it something like "New to Tactical Command?" In that section there could be a series of fixed posts which direct newbies to the relevant threads/resources for whichever game they are interested in.

I hardly expect it to go viral (50 views and I'll be chuffed!), but at the end of my video battle report I've displayed the link to the index page (currently doing the V.O., hopeful to post tomorrow). You never know, we might get one or two new people into the site who would like a little help finding their way around.

Anyway, just a thought...

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules