Login |  Register |  FAQ

How's EpicA getting on?

Post subject: How's EpicA getting on?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I own Space Marine/Titan Legions, but never got Epic 40K. I've been trying to keep tabs on the developments on EpicA and will probably end up buying it when it eventually comes out. Could any of the playtesters give me a general overiew or any other useful info on how the new game system is shaping up? I know I could sign up at the playtesting vault, but unfortunately I don't really have the time at the moment. Thanks.

Jackhammer

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:53 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I must admit that I really like the way that EpicA is going. Right now, the rules are pretty much ready (although I am sure that there will be changes), and there are lists for Orks, Guards and Marines. Chaos are under development and Eldar are on the way after that (Shadow Hunter, did you sent your list to Jervis?).

The game is different to all others in the sequence of events. You pick a formation, conduct an action with it and then try to hold the initiative. If you do this, you then automatically pass it to the enemy who has his go (meaning that you cant move more than two formations before the enemy reacts).

The game is more detailed and feels better than previous versions. Firing is done by rolling a dice and each weapon has a score to beat. The target then gets to save.

It is looking to be a good game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes the way its spanning out is looking good.  I haven't been to the forum for a few weeks due to lack of time.  I have put the epic projects on hold at the moment.

I sent the Eldar list into Jervis, and he sent a reply thanking me for it.  He said he's received a couple and will butcher the good ideas from them to come up with the final version.

On the playtesters forum there have been a couple of other lists posted up too.  I haven't had a chance to look at them that thoroughly.  I did note that a few people have used my list as a base for their own versions, which is nice.  There are some improvements/upgrades which my list needs, but I haven't got round to.

I cant wait for the system to come out.  I am hoping to go along to my club with some epic to try and spark interest.  It worked really well with the BFG campaign, so...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Actually, Cyber, could you do me a favour?

My computer is still dead, as such I haven't got the link to the paytesters forum or vault.  Could you post the links?  I remember my password, I just dont know the address for the site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:37 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Easily done:

www.epic40000.com/login.asp

Should be easy to remember! ?:D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, that is a difficult address to remember.  :oo

Cheers.  :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well I have my computer back (lost all my information though, including many other gamers emails etc  :(    )

And I already forgot the login address  :laugh:

Lucky its here  :-:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: so close to US Hq I can almost smell it (well, not that close)
How do you add on Commissars to an Imperial Guard Infantry Formation? Would the miniature be based with the Commander? Based separately? And if it is based separately, does it take over one infantry stand or does it add one (for a total of 14 (12 Normal +1 Commander+ 1 Commissar). I'm just trying to get up my E:A Guard in the proper way. Thanks to you all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

MonsterDude,

I can't really say I understand how they're done other than commanders are now (meaning in E-A) not represented by model stands. Their effect is attached to a unit, but they are not modelled except for a few exceptions like the commissar and Ork Nobz. In the commissar's case, you buy a die roll of how many you'll receive meaning that there is no set amount and that it's random. Again, I haven't played IG yet (although I have played against them) so I can't say that I truly understand them.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We usually put one on a command stand next to the Commander, just for a little "color & fluff". ?And then we put 5 on a separate stand and use them as "Commissars", with special rules based on SM2 & E40K ...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion-4,

Are you playtesting E-A?  ???

I didn't think you were...  :O

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No we're not, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. ?Regardless, 1 commissar on a command stand, works in any system 'cause it's for esthetics ... which when you get down to it, all minature gaming is that way. Board and computer gaming is much more efficient. However,?Mini gaming has it's own "charm" if you will ? ?:;): ... But, I could be wrong on any or all points ... :p

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Commisars are an upgrade to the command stand/model, not an additional stand, so an infantry company is 12 stands +1 commander/Commisar.

Given the number you get based on points and the size of the IG formations, it seems like virtually every formation commander is going to have a Commisar upgrade, so you might as well make them mostly Commisars and keep a few "plain" ones around just in case you get a low die roll.

Also, the Supreme Commander is the mandatory first place to stick a commisar, so if you make one, go ahead and put a model in it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 6:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wonder what the actual metal stand will actually look like ? ?I know E-A is still "under-construction", so be careful before you go painting and gluing your forces. ?As I said before, this is my 4th release of Epic since '90, and we play a hybrid rule system, melding rules from all sources, that appeal to us. ?The SM1 & SM2 organizational templates/cards were the only ones that resemble some sort of military system, with SM1 being pretty good and the rules that we still use, for the most part. ?I'll withhold judgement on the E-A organizational system, since it's still a work in progress, however it seems to me, as convoluted as the E40K method (My God! I sound like Primarch, he has influenced me as Chaos did Horus :o !!). ?But as I have said before, what do I know ? ??? !?