Login |  Register |  FAQ

Narrative Scenario Generation Tools

Post subject: Narrative Scenario Generation Tools
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

So I've been toying with an idea for Adeptus Titanicus that I'm looking at adapting for Epic: Armageddon as well.

I know we have the tournament scenario, which works well for balanced forces in set-piece battles. I've been working on designing an umpired narrative campaign weekender for AT, which led to developing quick scenario generation tools for myself and other umpires... which led me to realizing I could absolutely adapt that to Epic as well.

So here's the design theory, adapted for Epic:

1) Game Size. Set a target points value. This is the baseline. Scenario objectives may increase or decrease player forces.

2) Random Objectives. Players roll on (or select from) a set of objectives tables, which may modify the size of their forces from the agreed-upon baseline. Player objectives will also come with a set of keywords, which determine which deployment map table(s) they roll on.

3) Deployment Maps. Different forces will approach the battlefield in different ways. If you rolled up recon/raid objectives, you might be deploying to outflank, envelop, or ambush your opponent. If you rolled up assault objectives, you might be deploying in a single- or multi-pronged spearhead attack. If you rolled up defensive objectives, you might be forming your forces into one or more firebases, or building several lines of defense indepth across the board. Alternatively, you might be on a road march when you get hit by raiders. And I'll still have a set of general tactical deployments for some objectives, which will largely mimic traditional line of battle & corners deployments.

So that's the general outline. I'm still brainstorming this a bit, especially since I have to look at whether & how garrisons might be permitted depending on the objectives or deployment maps, and I need to draft up some objective tables. As a skirmish game, a lot of the AT stuff I'm messing with won't quite adapt to mass-battle EA all that well, but there's some stuff I can probably crib.

Hopefully I'll have a draft document to append to this in a few days, but I figured I'd post this up here to see if there's any interest - especially in potentially helping playtest.

My General Modelling Blog: http://armiger84.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message