Login |  Register |  FAQ

Recycling Air Assaults

Post subject: Re: Recycling Air Assaults
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you lose the air assault, the WE bomber the was part of the the assault is autoimatically destroyed unless it is Fearless, because it has a movement "0" inches while on the ground. I know about the fearless rule because of my Necron Pylons. I have also refused to move when broken with my fearless Eldar Wraith Lords and Wraith Guard so the enemy can not move closer to the objective, even though I am technically unable to hold it myself.

The aircraft such as a Thunderhawk gunship is auto destroyed, amnd most players take the extra wounds for combat reolution on the WE Bomber rather than the troops.

If you win the assault, the FAQ ruling is there to stop the multi use of single WE bombers picking up, assaulting, the reloading via consolidatoin, the disengaging to come back next turn and repeat the whole process.

If you have a second WE Bomber that drops down, it could pick up the now broken infantry, even though the first Thunderhawk is auto desetroyed as combat losses.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:47 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Did anything ever come of richards drop eldar?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Deb wrote:
If you lose the air assault, the WE bomber the was part of the the assault is autoimatically destroyed unless it is Fearless, because it has a movement "0" inches while on the ground

That is why I used the example of the Landing Craft. It is fearless. Hence if you lose the lose the assault you can withdraw onto the same LC and still disengage, but not if instead you win and make the same move using consolidate. There is no actual rules reason why that would be the case, just what it says in the FAQ entry.

I know why the FAQ was made, I was around at the time :) I was just pointing out that the FAQ isn't actually supported by the rules, whereas it would be simpler to understand as well as more consistent if it worked as you describe - i.e. that you can only disengage if you picked up the troops as part of the aircraft's own landing move. The WE transport rules already set precedent that WEs lose their own action after units use their own move to embark. The downside of that would have been that you can no longer evacuate another formation by marching or withdrawing to the aircraft's LZ - you can only do it by landing the aircraft at the formation's location.

As with all these little rules debates it's a very esoteric point but it's a fun thought experiment nonetheless. For me, anyway ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Norto wrote:
Did anything ever come of richards drop eldar?

What are you referring to Norto?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:38 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Richard Laking
Counter Attack 2019
W - 2 L - 1 D - 0
SPIRIT HOST
SPIRIT HOST
SPIRIT HOST