Login |  Register |  FAQ

Support Craft transports

Post subject: Support Craft transports
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If a Support craft, for example a Manta, is carrying four stands of infantry from another formation, how many BMs does it take to break the Manta?

If said Manta is engaged in ff and the warriors remain mounted, how many tau do you count for the combat resolution?

Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Support Craft transports
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As far as I’m aware, any transported units won’t count towards anything unless they’re part of the same formation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:25 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Thanks for putting some thought in, the Squat Overlord is the only support craft that gets much of a look in so this doesn’t come up often!

Does that mean that transported units can’t dismount and participate if the Manta is engaged? Or they can and then they count towards outnumbering, or then can choose not to and then they don’t?

What happens when the Manta breaks?

It seems that in most respects the two count as one unit (activating etc) but not in this one respect (break point)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:02 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The transported units are a separate formation, and don't count towards the BMs required to break the Manta.

Given the 3.3 FAQ about transporting broken units, I'd say the answer to the second question is the transported infantry count towards combat resolution. It's effectively a forced intermingling because the two formations count as one for the purposes of the engagement.

The embarking/disembarking bit for support craft is "as normal". I'm assuming that means "ignore the fact that it's always popped-up and just (dis)embark like normal", otherwise nothing would be able to (dis)embark given the skimmer rules.

Can you clarify what you want to know when the Manta breaks?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:32 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If the Manta breaks are transported formations trapped, or broken too, or can they dismount or get their activation later? If so when?

For victory conditions how is an unbroken formation in a Support Craft treated? For hold the line and taking objectives?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:01 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It's treated like every other transport WE:
https://tp.net-armageddon.org/tournamen ... ar-engines

So a transported formation can only disembark after the WE moves (via activation or withdrawal).

You have to be on the table to contest/control objectives, not being transport in a WE.

For They Shall Not Pass I'd say a non-broken formation inside a broken WE is probably fine. We'll probably need a new FAQ for that one.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dave wrote:
Given the 3.3 FAQ about transporting broken units, I'd say the answer to the second question is the transported infantry count towards combat resolution. It's effectively a forced intermingling because the two formations count as one for the purposes of the engagement.

Hmm, I hadn’t noticed how contradictory that FAQ entry is compared to the main rules text:

‘Formations that dismount in this way may not take an action in the turn they dismount, but are allowed to either shoot or fight in an assault if the war engine that was transporting it is able to shoot or assault.’

I’ve always read that as meaning formations that don’t dismount aren’t involved in the fight in any way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The rules are spread out, but I don't see them as contradictory. 3.1.3 is telling you what happens when troops dismount and fight in an assault. It doesn't mention what happens when troops stay embarked, hence the FAQ later on.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17