Login |  Register |  FAQ

Reinforced Armour

Post subject: Re: Reinforced Armour
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

we have a 19 page discussion about the possibility of maybe trialing some changes to the baneblade cannon here. the discussions over armour saves and variable RA would last until the heat death of the universe ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:26 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

jimmyzimms wrote:
we have a 19 page discussion about the possibility of maybe trialing some changes to the baneblade cannon here. the discussions over armour saves and variable RA would last until the heat death of the universe ;)

19 pages that have resulted in a change now pending with the ERC. And I’d do it again, there was really good community contribution with some super long calculation posts with diagrams!

Bring on RA discussion!

Last edited by RugII on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If the “rules are a holy text” argument is stop this then why not (where it is found to be useful in a new list) introduce a new special rule [lets say toughened armour] for a non-invulnerable TA(5+) save and have done. The seperate name will highlight the dfferent nature to RA and if its found to be useful then it can be introduced to exisitng units when they are revisited. Everyone (no one) is happy. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I’m sure I’m among the least experienced and wise voices here, but I do like the idea of generalising the reinforced armour save with the RA(X+) nomenclature (and stating the default is X = armour save), and I suspect Blip’s suggestion is the most achievable way to implement it. (I seem to recall some discussions on Knights that suggested it, too?) I think the benefit of better interactions with MW and TK weapons is also not inconsiderable.

At the very least, even if nothing ever gets changed, the discussions are interesting for we strange folk who like rules tinkering! And they’re a good lesson in compromise and taming frustrations if nothing else.

Although it’s always a bit of a grim topic to contemplate, I do find it interesting to consider questions of the dwindling NetEA community. Is EA in real decline, or is it the Taccoms presence which is shrinking following the disruption brought by Facebook? If there were to be substantive rules changes, would people actually take them up, or would people continue using the original ‘official’ rules? (BFG may be an illustrative example). Can the EA community continue indefinitely, or have we seen its glory days and it’s now being surpassed by other games and interests? Maybe this bit might be good for a new thread before I devolve into existential crisis once more (though the discussion does seem better when people are already thinking about it, even if off topic). I think these questions do often underlie any thoughts of rules changes, though.