Login |  Register |  FAQ

Epic UK Dark Eldar

Post subject: Epic UK Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Is it intentional that Craftword Eldar are allowed 3 formation in the Webway per Portal, whereas Dark Eldar are only allowed 3 period?

This seems odd as Dark Eldar can take up to two Portals, and they live in their own realm within the Webway!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Epic UK Dark Eldar
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dark Eldar don't have access to Storm Serpents (wether they should have a similar unit is probably worth asking to be looked at by E-UK ) and as the Portable Portal is 1 use only would anyone want to take more than 3 formations with the static main portal being limited to opponents placing of objectives.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:07 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I’ve used Dark Eldar a lot with some success, I’ve just realised I’ve frequently played it wrong with 4 units in the Webway (all three games today) assuming the “Webway Portal” rule was identical to that in the Craftword lists.

It would seem sensible for the “Webway Portal” rule to be universally the same between lists in the same way as “hit and run” and “Lance” are. The Alternative is to change the name of the “Webway Portal” rule in one of the lists.

TBH I’d consider the Dark Eldar a bit hamstrung if they can only have tree formations in the webway, I can’t understand why they are limited differently to Craftword Eldar.

If it’s not a mistake and there’s some logic behind it beyond “we didn’t think anyone would want more formations in the Webway”, I’d probably swap out my Scourages for a second Vessel of Pain.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, i agree with Rug on this issue too. It's gotta be a mistake.

And I'm also liking the idea of a Storm Serpent-ish SHT for them too! :-)

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree the definitions need review.

Ideally the portable webway portal name/definitions etc can be revised to make it distinct from other ‘portals’ emphasising it’s single use. I suggest adding the new definition to the special rules section, which would leave the original definition of “webway portals” intact.

But I do not understand enforcing a limit of three webway formations; if the player wants to use four and accept the limitations this imposes, that’s fine by me. “It is rude to interrupt your opponent when he is making a mistake”.

That said, I presume that multiple use of the portable portal was tried and excluded for some reason; allowing multiple use would also solve the immediate problem and possibly reflect the nature of the DE fluff better.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Allowing multiple use of the portable portal - which can be placed anywhere on the table and is unkillable - would be a bit good

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:08 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Kyrt wrote:
Allowing multiple use of the portable portal - which can be placed anywhere on the table and is unkillable - would be a bit good

The mobile portal is not in unkillable, it’s extremely vulnerable as it can only be attached to an infantry stand as opposed to a skimming reinforced armour super heavy tank, can only be used after the owning unit has activated, and also unlike the Stormserpent portal it can be blocked. Dark Eldar also have no ground AA to protect it. The one use mobile portal essentially costs a minimum of 300pts also making it more expensive than the Stormserpent.

The advantages the mobile portal have over the Stormserpent are that it can be FAR faster (135cm), can be transport in an aircraft, and it can pop out the Webway itself!

The Executioner Landing Module initially had a Webway Portal built in, I’m not sure why it went.

This is going off topic though, the point is there are currently two versions of a rule with the same name.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

On a related note, can a unit placed in the webway still teleport instead if they have the ability?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:
On a related note, can a unit placed in the webway still teleport instead if they have the ability?

See faq , I'd say it would be the same for other armies like necron and Dark Eldar

Quote:
Q: When do I decide what method Eldar reserve formations will use to enter play?
A: In the GT scenario reserve formations with multiple deployment options must be designated as to deployment method during setup – webway, air transport or teleport..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RichardL wrote:

I don’t think so.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No. As Dptdexys says, units in reserve must be allocated to a means of entering the table, and once that is done it may not be changed. So units in a spacecraft or aircraft may not be changed to use the webway or teleport.

Should a unit leave the table by some means, it may only re-enter by the same means; when in an aircraft you have to return in the same aircraft, and if using portals or the webway, units cannot return in an aircraft etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dptdexys wrote:
RichardL wrote:

See faq , I'd say it would be the same for other armies like necron and Dark Eldar

Quote:
Q: When do I decide what method Eldar reserve formations will use to enter play?
A: In the GT scenario reserve formations with multiple deployment options must be designated as to deployment method during setup – webway, air transport or teleport..

Necrons only have flayed ones that can teleport and could actually use portals given armoured vehicles can't use them, and in their case they can use either teleport or use portals as far as i'm aware to get onto the battlefield.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ginger wrote:
No. As Dptdexys says, units in reserve must be allocated to a means of entering the table, and once that is done it may not be changed. So units in a spacecraft or aircraft may not be changed to use the webway or teleport.

Should a unit leave the table by some means, it may only re-enter by the same means; when in an aircraft you have to return in the same aircraft, and if using portals or the webway, units cannot return in an aircraft etc.

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't be able to get out of an aircraft, but it's a shame on webways and and teleporting to a degree given Necron Flayed ones can do it, and it would give a bit more flexibility to the i think 3 other units in the game that have teleport in armies with some manner of portals.

Just for reference from the Necron army list:

Any formations in the army other than the Æonic Orb or the Abattoir may begin the game in reserve. Formations in reserve may enter play using their teleport
ability, or via a portal using an action that allows movement.

Granted necron portals are more flexible than webways anyway given you can go back into reserves through them as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

dptdexys wrote:
RichardL wrote:

Quote:

Crap, I've been playing it wrong - Rug - I owe you an apology.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

No need to apologise Tim, the Necron Portal rules are explicit in making them exempt from this rule, Necrons are the only army that can enter the table via teleport or a portal if their rules allow.

I must apologise to you and my other opponents for having four formations waiting in the webway!

So what is wrong in the EUK Dark Eldar list? The Webway Portal rule or the Webway Portal rule name?