Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pinpoint Attacks.

Post subject: Re: Pinpoint Attacks.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think there’s a debate about theme and then a question about this being a straight issue for anyone running knights. Having a spaceship is already strong so do we want (Chaos, eldar, and tau) to have an extra buff against knights of being able to sniper out their SC? That’s what the rule query boils down to for me.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:39 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yes, plenty of times I've paid 200pts for a protector and ended up with zero targets for the pinpoints, and in other games it's nailed a pair of void spinners straight off the bat.... it swings both ways, having a WE supreme commander is a cross the knight list has to bear

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

kyussinchains wrote:
So you can snipe singleton baneblade/shadowswords/voidspinners but as soon as you get a company of them, the targeting guy on the spaceship goes 'THREE war engines? In that case I'll turn off the targeting computer and just use the Force(TM) and hope to hit the one with the commander onboard'

I think most people will be able to relate to the shell game, I see this as a similar situation.

Quoting section 4.3.4 of the rule book:

"Pin point attacks can only be made on enemy war engines (war engines are the only things big enough for a spacecraft to pick out on the battlefield)"

So spacecraft can only pick out big targets... but can still differentiate between a number of them in close proximity by means of far smaller details and markings.... from orbit.... through clouds and smoke....This seems unlikely and gamey to me.

If the rule book had said the following then I might have taken a different position:

"Pin point attacks can only be made on enemy war engines (war engines are the only targets considered worthy enough to justify the significant efforts and resources represented by an orbital strike)"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
. it swings both ways, having a WE supreme commander is a cross the knight list has to bear

^this

Also remember that it is perfectly reasonable to assume that a SC may be visually indistinguishable from other WE from orbit, but a gigantic beacon in the electromagnetic spectrum. One never knows which area of technology in the 40k universe have progressed or regressed (“we have lost the STC for the mechanical pencil - shut up and use your charcoal lump to do the teleport calculations!”), but it also seems reasonable that all that command activity could be detected and therefore targeted.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:28 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

RugII wrote:
by means of far smaller details and markings

But we all know the most important vehicles always have an open hatch with a dude with no helmet on waving a chain sword at the enemy and shouting as loudly as possible. Any commander who can't shout into orbit shouldn't be on the front line.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Another argument for allowing "sniping" with Pin-point might be that the space ship is in contact with spotters on the ground.

At least there seems to be a consensus that the pin-point is in dire need of being faq:d. Maybe something for ERC to discuss?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:11 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I went back and checked to see what we've done in battlereports here with the knights. We allowed pin-points to target Barons and Seneschals. So I'm amending my previous post, pin-points can pick any WE they want.

I'll put together a FAQ but it seems that's how the majority are playing it anyway.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17